Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:41 PM   #1

Default I need a certain camera. Here's my requirements...

Hi,

I'll be taking a series of shots of various objects for an assignment for my job. The thing is, I need to be in the shots. I live by myself, so it will be only me doing this.

So I'm looking for a 10-12 megapixel digital camera that has burst mode but will also be able to time the burst mode in order to give me 10 whatever seconds to quickly get in shot before burst mode starts. I know a lot of these cameras have both but are there models that combine the two?

I also want to be able to hook up the camera to a small analog TV (which has a composite IN connection) so I can make sure I'm completely in shot with the objects.

I might also need a tripod. I have a SLIK Pro 340DX camcorder tripod but I don't know if digital cameras can be mounted on it. Do I need a special kind of small mount? (I might need a new tripod anyway since I'm over 6 feet tall and the SLIK isn't tall enough)

Last question: I'll be doing this in my apartment indoors with a pro lighting set up I have. Do I need one of those SLR cameras or just a 'point and shoot'. I want the camera to meet my requirements but don't want to spend too much. Maybe no more than $500. Thank you.

-st.
stokepogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:54 PM   #2

st-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

Well for starters you could consider that new Samsung camera, the TL-225, with the LCD screen on the front and the back of the camera. That would make things easier. I don't know if it has a time lapse feature. There are not many camera left with the time lapse feature.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:18 PM   #3

Hire a friend to help?
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:24 PM   #4
Administrator

Can you be more specific on what you're trying to shoot (and more specific on the burst mode, including number of frames, frames per second needed, etc.). That kind of info could help out.

You may also be able to accomplish the same goal (and I'm not very clear on what that is) by using a wireless shutter release of some type, which could be held in your hand somewhat inconspicuously to take photos as desired (without trying to run back and forth from the camera to use a self timer type feature), leaving the camera of choice in continuous drive mode if you need multiple photos in a burst.

I'd give members more information on exactly what you're trying to accomplish for better responses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:50 PM   #5

I do need multiple photos in a timed burst. The previous responder says that not much of those are made anymore which is strange.

Shooting at 3 frames per second would be fine. Nothing really high speed...as long as it can give me a few seconds of pause so I can get in the frame before it starts.

I'm shooting parts of broken machinery to show forensic experts. But I have to be in frame to let lawyers know that only I posses the parts. Some parts are small and others are long pipes and things that require me to be in the whole frame.

But all I need is a burst mode camera that can start shooting 5-10 seconds after I hit a button so I can get in frame in time when it starts.

Last edited by stokepogue; Dec 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:04 PM   #6
Administrator

For how many shots?

Here's one problem.. Most cameras have a "Drive Mode" that allows you choose between Single Shot (one photo with each shutter depression), Continuous (multiple photos as long as the shutter is depressed, and some models have more than one Continuous Setting, depending on the frame rate desired) and Self Timer modes. IOW, they're mutually exclusive.

Another problem is that most cameras have very fast internal memory that allows a relatively fast frame rate... But, only for a handful of photos with most non-dSLR cameras. Then, the internal buffer fills up and the camera slows down (often to 1 frame per second or slower, due to internal processing limitations and how fast it can write to the memory card).

Frankly, I think your best solution would probably be to use a Wireless Shutter release (held so that it's not as noticeable) using a dSLR model with a larger buffer and faster write speeds to media (so that you wouldn't need to worry about the camera's internal buffer filling up too fast if you're shooting in bursts).

These are relatively inexpensive for many dSLR models. Here are some examples from a reputable Hong Kong based vendor (and shipping to the US is relatively inexpensive).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=285

That way (with the right remote), you could leave the button depressed until you have enough photos for the desired results before releasing it (and make sure the remote you use allows that feature). I'd go with a remote using RF versus Infrared (as the Infrared remotes have a more limited range and would need to be pointed towards the receiver.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:15 PM   #7
Administrator

Another solution that may be worth investigating is chdk, which you can install with some Canon models:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

That may allow you to create a script to do what you want (look for intervalometer scripts). I'd make sure to see the review conclusion section here for models you consider, to find out if they're up to the task of handling enough photos at 3fps to meet your needs though (the conclusion section is the last page before the sample images in each model's review here, and discusses things like continuous shooting performance).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:41 PM   #8

OK, I'll check those out Jim. Thanks for your help!

st.