Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:10 PM   #21

If you don't mind, will you please suggest me something to verify the image quality. I hope it will not be like going outside and start clicking

Regards
-Ravi
ravipg2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:19 PM   #22
Super Moderator

these images look pretty typical considering the conditions you are shooting in. i see no reason to question your copy of the h20.

there is often a blue tint to the shadows when there is a blue sky. it is a combination of the white balance and it is possible that some blue from the surrounding gets mixed.

please see attached scholarly journal article on this subject
http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0031-9...f-bf16f73ded4b
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:22 PM   #23

Ravi

Here is a list for you:

Flash photos at varying distances.
Close-up photos
Outdoor photos
Existing light photos done without flash

I am talking about no more than one dozen photos in the group. that should be sufficient to make a realistic appraisal of the Sony H-20's photo capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:47 PM   #24

Dustin,

Thanks for the article. really it's a very nice article and I understood about the While Balance. It seems that for such type of photograph, I have to set the White Balance rather than using the Auto feature. Really very good article and thanks for sharing.

Regards
-Ravi
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:50 PM   #25

Sara,

Thanks for information. Tomorrow, I will to capture some pictures and share it.

Regards
-Ravi
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:12 PM   #26

Sarah
Quick question reg ZS3 vs H20.
After reading the reviews by critics / professionals and users, i opted for the DSC-H20 and bought it a week ago from best buy. However, I happened to see ZS3 on sale at costco today for $250 (just 20 more than what I paid for the H20). I did read the raving reviews for ZS3 at amazon.com but I always make a point to read the negative ratings and it does have issues with low light and the lcd going blank for a few folks. And every one seem to agree abt the worst customer service from panasonic
The only compelling reason to opt for the ZS3 is the 25mm wide angle lens.
I am going to use the camera primarily for picturing my infant girl indoors and sometimes outdoors too. Would you recommend me to keep the DSC-H20? I felt that I can sacrifice the wide angle for better indoor image qwuality. The H-20 has a very powerful flash and offers manual exposure which the ZS3 lacks. I am little osciallting b/w the H20 and ZS3. I am waiting for my memory stick to come today so that I can play around.

Would appreciate your feedback!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Ram

QUOTE=mtclimber;1028190]ravi-

However, if you read a professional review of the ZS3 you will find that the indoor image quality is below average due to the very small, and very weak built-in flash unit installed on the ZS3 camera.

The ZS3 outdoor image quality is excellent, but indoors, due to the small-weak flash the image quality is below average.

Sarah Joyce[/QUOTE]
tsramkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:56 AM   #27

I, too, am beating my head up against the wall regarding the SX120 vs. DCS-H20. Difference between myself and the OP is that I have a very specific set of imaging requirements (see below). Have done a lot of research, but am really going back and fourth between these two models.

On the one hand, it seems the Canon has the edge for the type of shooting I intend to do (ie: closeup, extreme closeup, macro). Image quality in this area is by far the most important aspect to me. However, the Sony also has some really useful additional features, HD Movie with optical zoom being the most significant of these. That, and I see images like the following, and wonder how much better the SX120 can possibly be:

Fly Macro
Rose
Landscape

So I'm lost. Thanks in advance for any help.

* What will you generally use the camera for? -- Most of the shots I take are closeup, or extreme closeup. Most of my subjects are flowers or vegetables, with the occasional insect. Focus distance is generally zero (ie: as close as it will focus) to a distance of maybe ten feet maximum. I know off-hand the Canon can focus to 1cm, while the Sony is limited to 2cm, but in "real life" I don't know that this fact, in and of itself, is a make or break. I do take the occasional landscape, shots of friends, etc, but most of my interest lies up close. I'm going to try and use a tripod with delayed release for as many shots as I can, but some of the extreme close-ups may need to be hand-held.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) -- 10

*Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? -- Yes. Would like to control shutter speed, and ISO. Also, manual white balance is a must.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? -- Probably not.

* Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? -- Yes. Will probably try to illuminate using external lights as much as possible, but may depend upon the flash for some shots.

* Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? -- No. All of my subjects will be stationary/motionless.

* Budget? -- $250 max for camera and all accessories. (SX120 = $199 and DSC-H20 = $225, so cost isn't much of an issue between the two.)

Last edited by jjblanche; Feb 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM.
jjblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:52 AM   #28

jjblanche-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad that you dropped by.

1cm =2.54 inches. So that may not be close enough for you. The SX-120 does not have any exterior threads for mount any close up auxiliary lens, while the Sony does have a threaded lens barrel. Next you would have to find out what added lenses and lens adapters were available for for the H-20.

The rose example is no problem, as is the landscape. It is the fly type photo that will require added equipment. So to get what I think you want is going to take some research and adapting. At first glance, it would appear that the H-20 is better equipped to meet your needs, and could get by with a lens adapter tube and an auxiliary lens to take super macros.

So the information we need is (a) how close must you really get? and (b) are you willing to use a lens adapter tube and an auxiliary lens? The lens adapter tube will in crease the size and weight of your kit.

Please understand it is much better to begin a new thread when you are asking a new question. When you "tack on" to an old existing thread, your post is very easily overlooked.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:08 PM   #29

1 centimeter = .39 inches. That's rather close. 2cm is a shade over 3/4 inch (.78). I don't believe any of the shots above used outside equipment.

Either camera, with the addition of a few basic accessories (tripod, bag, card, etc), will be bumping right up against my budget, so I won't be able to purchase lenses and other equipment.

Addressing the questions directly: a) My current camera can only focus down to about 2.5 to 3 inches, and I find it adequate, although I would like to get closer. I'd like to "digitally macro" some shots, using 100% crop and close focus. That said, the ultra-closeups are ancillary to more general closeups in the 2" to a foot range. So I'd say either camera, at their stated min focus distances, would suffice. b) Going along with the budget thing, I wouldn't be willing to use an adapter/lens out the door, but it is a nice option to have down the road. Size and weight aren't so much an issue for me.

Thanks for the help. Any additional insight is always appreciated.

Last edited by jjblanche; Feb 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM.
jjblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:27 PM   #30

I have the SX110 and it has the worse lag time of any camera I own. I wonder if the 120 is as long.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote