Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:20 PM   #11

True, but you are also getting a way heavier camera. I recently finally made the move from SLR to DSLR. That is why I am not a fan of post shooting editing. I took my first photo classes back in 91, and after many years of developing and dark room processing. I come to the belief to set the shot up right first and spend as little time in the dark room. Or get a camera that has all the art filters built in. I looked at the D90 and the 50D, they were both excellent camera's but it was more camera. And since my wife uses it also, more is just more sometimes. And I was tired of heavy SLR's.

But back to the OP's question. I went through the whole gamut of the decision process with the D90, 50D, E620, D5000, T1I the K-X was not out yet. The D3000 and E520 was not consider because I wanted more then entry level. After renting or borrowing pretty much all the camera's listed and taking each out for a day of shooting. The T1I was the clear winner for me. But I gave the E620 a very serious look. To be honest it was my second choice if I did not get the T1I.

PS,
Since I am not a fan of post production editing the jpeg engine of the olympus it a plus. So shooting RAW is not a big thing in my book.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: PS
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:23 PM   #12

Sarah,

The D3000 is the one he is considering not the D5000. The D5000 is a way better camera then the D3000
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:19 AM   #13

I have always enjoyed reading this forum for its active participation by people-in-the-know and the prompt responses. It makes people like me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - so lets keep it that way

Reason why I limited myself to these 2 models only are because of:
- weird ergonomics: the other makes do not feel nice in my hand.
- support: no local support for Pentax unfortunately.
- compactness: I want a carry-all-and-everywhere camera, hence the smaller/compact it is, the better.

D5000: I rather skip this and get a D90 personally. Even so at this price, I am able to get an E-620 with its twin kit lens package.
D90: Out of my price range and would use up a lot of my budget when that can be used for others and be part of the savings for flash and lenses.
D3000: The logical choice after D5000 and D90.
E-450: No image stabilisation.
E-520: Discontinued. Can't seem to find any where I am at and even so, they are not priced competitively when the next E-620 is just marginally higher. They get removed from the shelf very quickly once they have been discontinued.
E-30: Same as the D90.

TCav,

Yup, the D3000 would have a wider angle of view as compared to the Olympus (1.5x vs 2.0x). For me to get an equivalent in the Olympus, I would have to get the 12-60mm F/2.8-4.0 which would cost a bomb! But I am already thinking of the 14-54 F/2.8-3.5 Mk II lens - such is the lure of buying new shiny things.

JimC,

I have factored in the lack of auto focus motor in the D3000 and since I don't own any Nikkor lenses, I am prepared to limit myself to the new Nikkor AF-S and similar Sigma/Tamron lenses (to my disadvantage but I will live with it).

I will eventually get an external flash, SB-400 for the D3000, Metz or Olympus FL-36R for the E-620. So my options in low light shot taking will be better.

And I guess at higher ISO (i.e. 800, 1600, 3200), the D3000 will outperform the E-620 (without flash) and hand held. I guess with a firm support (table top) and flash and being able to shoot at low ISO100-400, the difference will be similar or negligible? Am I right in saying this?

mtclimber,

No need for apologies and thank you for your posts here and in my previous thread.

shoturtle,

Thanks for your experiences and feedback on the E-620. Will definitely factor it in.

It seems that my only sticking points right now are compactness and low light capabilities (with and without flash).

In low light, a wide aperture (e.g. 35mm f/1.8) will give me shallow depth of field - which may not be what I want sometimes as I may want everything in the frame to be sharp and in focus and vice-versa (it is nice to have the option). Hence I can see the reasoning for an external flash.

With the flash in mind, would the difference in low light capabilities of the D3000 + 35mm f/1.8 + SB400 vs. E-620 + 25mm f/2.8 + Metz 36/ Oly FL-36R be negligible?

I really thank you to those who take the time to respond to my queries. I just want to do it right - but at the same time, I feel as though I am getting caught up in an analysis paralysis stage, but oh well!

Justin
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:22 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinY View Post
JimC,
And I guess at higher ISO (i.e. 800, 1600, 3200), the D3000 will outperform the E-620 (without flash) and hand held.
Actually, I doubt you're going to see much difference in noise levels and retained detail at higher ISO speeds with them. Neither are going to be great for that purpose. But, if you keep print and viewing sizes small enough, you may be OK, depending on your expectations of quality. In the Nikon lineup, the next model up (D5000) has much better image quality as ISO speeds are increased.

But, also keep lenses in mind, as I don't see the equivalent of a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (giving you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 53mm lens on a 35mm camera) in the Olympus lineup from a quick skim through available lenses. I'm sure Oly owners will correct me if that's not right. That lens is going to be more than twice as bright as a lens that only has f/2.8 available (allowing you to get much faster shutter speeds for the same lighting and ISO speed, or allowing you to use a lower ISO speed to get shutter speeds just as fast).

Quote:
in the I guess with a firm support (table top) and flash and being able to shoot at low ISO100-400, the difference will be similar or negligible? Am I right in saying this?
You don't need a firm support for flash photos in low light to freeze subject movement. That's because the flash burst is very short (usually 1/1000 second or faster, depending on range to subject). So, because the subjects are not properly exposed (except for during the short flash burst), the flash can freeze the action.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:28 AM   #15

Justin-

If I might, you have to compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges. If the E-620 with the FL 36r is to be considered, then we have to compare that Olympus package against the Nikon D-3000 equipped with the SB-600. That is the only fair comparison.

Why you might ask? Well the SB-400 flash is handy but it is under powered to do real and effective bounce flash. The Metz 36 is a bit more powerful, but it too has trouble effective bouncing even with an 8 foot white ceiling. Plus the Metz 28 and 36 are NOT USB upradable like the more powerful Metz flashes. The SB-400 and the Metz 36 work well but are truly underpowered for most flash applications.

The built-in Guide Feature on the Nikon D-3000 I see as quite valuable to a new user making the transition from P+S to DSLR cameras as well. Do you see it that way or do you, Justin perceive the Guide feature to be something that takes up valuable space on the Nikon D-3000.

Please do not discount the value of the Nikon 35mm F 1.8 lens. As long as you either already naturally have or can add needed light via an external flash you will get the smal apertures that you need for an expanded depth of field that will keep everything in sharp focus from the foreground to the background. The only issue is keeping the light level high enough. That is another good reason that you have to consider the SB-600 flash in place of the SB-400 flash.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:25 PM   #16

I second on the Metz 48, I have it and it is a very powerful flash with all the stuff I want built in, defuser and bounce card. It also was a nice surprise to see that it is made in germany, not in china or thailand or Indonesia. And it is less then the Canon 430ex ii.

The SB400 and the Metz 36 is adequate, but I would go with the Metz 48 or SB600. Metz makes the 36 and 48 for both nikon and olympus.

Up to 800iso the olympus and the d3000 are pretty much even, at 1600 the d3000 has a sight lead, and at the e3200 this not where these camera perform.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:12 AM   #17

Justin,

On the low light question here is a review of the e620, and even with the 4/3 disadvantage, it was quite good at 1600iso.
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...w=olympus+e620

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:08 PM   #18

shoturtle-

After reading the linked review, I must admit that it does appear that the E-620 does do quite well with resolution at ISO 800 and produces very acceptable results at ISO 1600, with only a slight loss of image quality.

That makes the E-620 a stronger contender than I had expected when placed up against the Nikon D-3000 camera which just was reviewed by www.dpreview.com and received very high scores.

My advice to Justin would be to visit the respective local Olympus and Nikon dealers and to physically handle both cameras. How a camera feels in hand and how one's hands adapt to the various controls on any camera is a very important issue.

IMO, I now see the D-3000 and the E-620 as pretty well equal, thus camera handling becomes the next test. Olympus does produce quality lenses, albeit with a smaller selection of lenses. Most users like the Zukio 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit lenses a lot.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:18 PM   #19

I did do allot of research before I did my switch from slr to dslr. And to be honest the e620 was my second choice over the t1i. Because I had eos lens already is what made the decision. If I did not have the eos lenses already, it would have been a harder choice.

I borrowed or rented the d90, d5000, e620, t1i and 50d before deciding. And from my experience the review I posted is pretty much dead on about the e620. It is the sleeper in the bunch but has the most bang for the bucks also a very good camera. HD ability was not a concern even-though some of the choices had it.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:27 PM   #20

Here is a link on the d3000. It is a good entry camera, but the d5000 is a better match for the e620.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...n+d3000+review