Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
The Panasonic G1 is a very small, capable camera. Keep in mind that you will lose the optical viewfinder and gain an electronic viewfinder (a good one though). For some this is an advantage as it offers 100% coverage, but some people are put off by the slight delay and upgaining.

Its a great travel companion and landscape camera. And for any where size is a concern it can output DSLR level images at its lower ISO's. And if you size is of a major concern, it could be worth looking into.

However, it really can't compete at ISO 1600, even with the e520 and especially e620.
Hi Hards80,

Will go to the store tomorrow to try out the G1 in my hands (the front command dial may annoy me) and to also see how I like the electronic viewfinder.

Agreed on the ISO. Been reading reviews at popphoto and noticed that anything above ISO800 for the G1 is choke full of noise. The only compensation is to either use an external flash or to get their m4/3 fast primes (think I saw some Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 prime) to be able to use lower ISO.

Any experience in regards to its auto focus system (in dimmer conditions?).

Thank you.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:41 PM   #32

Justin-

I own the G-1, and overall the focusing system is pretty good. There is some increased time required to focus, as the light level falls, but it is nothing that you would not experience with other cameras.

The G-1 is not a high ISO camera. It tops out at ISO 800 and really needs a good external flash to round out the kit. Regarding your question about the Panasonic 25mm F 1.7 lens: it is quite a good lens, equivalent to a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The lens itself is a good high quality lens.

As I just received my Panasonic 25mm lens, here is the first photo taken with that lens. I was very pleased with the image quality. It was taken indoors, with no flash. The exposure was F1.8 at 1/80th, so as you can see it is preety sharp even with the lens wide open.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Justin-

Returning to your initial question today of the E-520 versus the E-620: There is a very measurable difference between these two cameras, as they use different imagers and processors, I believe. The E-520 has a shortened high dynamic range, producing clipped highlights.

Let me put it this way, Justin: the visual difference is large enough that you can actually see it in prints and on large viewing screens. I am not maligning the E-520, handled with care, it is capable of excellent images. However, the E-620 has more dynamic range and therefore can more easily and consistently produce excellent images.

I own an E-420, an E-520, and an E-620 cameras. If I were to take the very same image with each camera, you could actually see the difference. Take a look at Gary's photos taken at his bird feeder in the Olympus DSLR Folder, and you can see what Gary, his E-620, and his Olympus 70-300mm lens can do. It is really a pleasure to go over and see those wonderful images.

The choice is always yours. If it were up to me, I would, without hesitation, choose the E-620.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks very much for your kind words, Sarah Joyce. And, I fully concur with you regarding the choice of the E-620.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:29 PM   #34

The G1 and the E620 is about the same size think about 4oz different. But like it was mention it is not the best indoor camera with the limited iso of 800, you will need a flash right away for indoor photos. Also it has limited lens, no 3rd party lens company. Sigma has lens for the e620 and olympus has a very respectable line up. If you are looking to expand your lenses this may limit your options. And panasonic lens are very expensive.

Also since it is a one lens kit most likely the 14-45, you will end up pay for an 45-200mm to get some reach. That will add some 350-400 to the total. Making the G1 a 950-1000 dollar package, for that I would save some money and get a t1i or d5000 with 2 lenses, or spend 150 more for the D90 with the 18-105m. Just a thought

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:17 PM   #35

Quote:
I own the G-1, and overall the focusing system is pretty good. There is some increased time required to focus, as the light level falls, but it is nothing that you would not experience with other cameras.
I guess comparing between the E-620 and G1, it should be roughly equivalent in AF time in low light conditions.

Quote:
The G-1 is not a high ISO camera. It tops out at ISO 800 and really needs a good external flash to round out the kit.
I will eventually get an external flash for whatever camera I purchase so it won't be a problem. I think I would rather take lower ISO pictures as opposed to higher ones if I can help it (by way of a faster lens or external flash)

Quote:
Regarding your question about the Panasonic 25mm F 1.7 lens: it is quite a good lens, equivalent to a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The lens itself is a good high quality lens.

As I just received my Panasonic 25mm lens, here is the first photo taken with that lens. I was very pleased with the image quality. It was taken indoors, with no flash. The exposure was F1.8 at 1/80th, so as you can see it is preety sharp even with the lens wide open.
Awesome shot for such a small lens.

I think I have to also pay attention to the 4/3 system and m4/3 system and see which system suits me better. It seems that Olympus and Panasonic are focusing on the m4/3 system more as opposed to the 4/3, which is a good thing as the 4/3 system is already established and that the new m4/3 system is emerging and there is demand for it.

Another thing is there are adapters for m4/3 bodies to use 4/3 lenses, but I am not sure if there is one for 4/3 bodies to use m4/3 lenses.

Just borrowed a Nikon D100 and will be bringing it up to Cameron Highlands with me for the next few days. Hopefully that will also help me decide if I can put up with the weight of a D100 (though not a fair comparison with a D3000), but I should get a rough feel of the bulk and weight of a typical APS-C camera.

Justin.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The G1 and the E620 is about the same size think about 4oz different. But like it was mention it is not the best indoor camera with the limited iso of 800, you will need a flash right away for indoor photos. Also it has limited lens, no 3rd party lens company. Sigma has lens for the e620 and olympus has a very respectable line up. If you are looking to expand your lenses this may limit your options. And panasonic lens are very expensive.

Also since it is a one lens kit most likely the 14-45, you will end up pay for an 45-200mm to get some reach. That will add some 350-400 to the total. Making the G1 a 950-1000 dollar package, for that I would save some money and get a t1i or d5000 with 2 lenses, or spend 150 more for the D90 with the 18-105m. Just a thought
Exactly what I was thinking when I was about to sleep. I even checked out the fourthirds website, which shows the comparison of 4/3 and m4/3 bodies with various lenses. With the kit lens attached, both are roughly the equivalent.

Any how, the E-620 is sold out, so I have to wait for stock to come in sometime late December, early January

In the mean time, I have borrowed a D100 for the next few days to tide me over. That will also help me make up my mind about the bulk, weight and size of a regular APS-C camera.

Justin.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:47 PM   #37

There is an advantage for waiting, you will get the after xmas deals. But it gives you time to try other things out. But at the same time, it may cause you to blow pass your budget, it could be a good thing, and again it could be a bad thing.

Here is a point that was not brought up really about the two camera you are looking at. Since the d3000 and the e620 are both 12mp camera, the olympus with the 4/3 will allow you to crop down and still have more resolution to play with.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... it may cause you to blow pass your budget, it could be a good thing, and again it could be a bad thing.
I laughed out loud when I saw that because I already have!

Justin.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:05 AM   #39

Justin-

For what it might be worth, owning both the m4/3 and 4/3 format cameras, I actually prefer the 4/3 cameras. Lens wise in particular, everything tagged with the G-1, GH-1, and GF-1 seems overpriced to me. For example the Panasonic 25mm lens to fit the G-1 sells for around $(US)300.00, and it will not mount on the Olympus E-620 by the way. In contrast the 25mm Olympus lens sells for less than$(US)200.00. They are essentially the same lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinY View Post
I laughed out loud when I saw that because I already have!

Justin.
Toys generally cause us to spend more then we plan in general. If I remember correctly you were looking at only the d3000 and e620 originally. Both are excellent camera's. You discounted the D5000 and D90 for being out of your price. Then you come to a forum like this get bitten by the bug, and all sense of control and logic goes out the door. Have fun playing around with other ideas, I wish you the best of luck trying to stay within 10% of your originally budget. It can be tough when you get bitten by the bug.

But if you do stick by you choice of the E620 and willing to wait, I am sure you will not be disappointed. But you have time, so nothing wrong with investigating, all it can do is hurt the wallet. Enjoy, any other question just drop me a note.