Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:38 AM   #41
Super Moderator

Until you have had a chance to use the EVF on the G1 and compared it to a typical OVF i would not buy it without trying. As I said, some people love it, some do not.

It is a very capable camera, as people on this forum have proven, its just not quite your typical DSLR, for some that is a marked advantage, for others not.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
For what it might be worth, owning both the m4/3 and 4/3 format cameras, I actually prefer the 4/3 cameras. Lens wise in particular, everything tagged with the G-1, GH-1, and GF-1 seems overpriced to me. For example the Panasonic 25mm lens to fit the G-1 sells for around $(US)300.00, and it will not mount on the Olympus E-620 by the way. In contrast the 25mm Olympus lens sells for less than$(US)200.00. They are essentially the same lens.
Correct. The 4/3 system is more established than the m4/3. However, the current 25mm f/1.7 prime lens is more attractive (although at a higher price) than the 25mm f/2.8.

There is no upgrade for the standard zoom in the m4/3 at the moment as compared to the 4/3 system where one can go to the 14-54 MKII or the 12-60.

But as the m4/3 system is new, it will be interesting to see how the m4/3 lens family looks like in the near future. I guess if all things fail, there is always the adapter to use 4/3 lenses where else I can't do if I was coming from a 4/3 body.

Argh, decisions! The lack of stock for the E-620 is a blessing in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If I remember correctly you were looking at only the d3000 and e620 originally. Both are excellent camera's. You discounted the D5000 and D90 for being out of your price. Then you come to a forum like this get bitten by the bug, and all sense of control and logic goes out the door. Have fun playing around with other ideas, I wish you the best of luck trying to stay within 10% of your originally budget. It can be tough when you get bitten by the bug.

But if you do stick by you choice of the E620 and willing to wait, I am sure you will not be disappointed. But you have time, so nothing wrong with investigating, all it can do is hurt the wallet. Enjoy, any other question just drop me a note.
Thank you shoturtle. Initially I was quite contented with the EOS-1000D, til I started playing with it more often at shops that I disliked its grip.

I am sure that either cameras, be it the D3000, E-620 or even the G1 or any other entry level DSLR for that matter, will shoot 99% of what I intend it to do with hardly any difference between them.

So the lack of stock for the E-620 is a blessing in disguise while I do some 'soul searching', haha

I thank you for your help and will post questions if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Until you have had a chance to use the EVF on the G1 and compared it to a typical OVF i would not buy it without trying. As I said, some people love it, some do not.

It is a very capable camera, as people on this forum have proven, its just not quite your typical DSLR, for some that is a marked advantage, for others not.
I agree Hards80, that is why I will be jetting off to a shop after work to get my hands on one and play with it

Thank you all.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:38 PM   #43

Sarah, I wish I could own all the cameras you own! Geez I have no money and am lucky to buy one camera every decade. This will be my first digital camera, because I am still using my Nikon FE that I bought in 1981! Mind you, I love that camera.
virginiag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:01 PM   #44

virginag2-

As a digital camera instructor, I have to be able to answer questions on most any camera. So I have done a lot of buying and selling on E-Bay, to keep myself familiar and knowledgeable on a wide variety of digital cameras.

So, I am buying and selling all the time. My students have not stumped yet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:38 AM   #45

Just got back from Cameron Highlands with a Nikon D100 and here are my impressions and thoughts:

1. Size is an issue; the more compact the better - that rules out pretty much everything except for the 4/3 and micro 4/3 system for me.
2. Shot everything in aperture priority, with a few in shutter priorit
3. Shot everything in JPEG
4. Don't see myself doing a lot of post processing; maybe for some good shots that needs touching up. And so far I am only doing minor touch up like increasing the brightness - nothing serious. Is there a way to speed up post processing; i.e. doing a set of commands and running it like a batch process to a set folder of pictures? This points me towards Olympus for their JPEG engine.
5. I prefer using available light. I guess an external flash is a slight possibility in the extreme cases but I personally find it amusing as it looks like someone is using a periscope.
6. Everything is shot hand held. I had no tripod with me, but don't see myself using one that liberally. I find carrying one (even a portable one) and the set-up time bothersome. Yes for the tripod for those outdoor creative night shots. Other than that, hand held.
7. I find myself doing more of portrait shooting, candid snapshots of people from the hip or just pointing the camera at that direction and snapping without looking into the viewfinder, landscape shots and architecture/building shots.
8. I got an ugly smile/smirk. Need to work on this, ASAP!

Incidentally, my girlfriend's uncle has a GF1 with the 20mm F/1.7 lens. Played with it over dinner and wow, blew me over. No viewfinder though.

So as it stands at the moment, the shortlist:
- E-620
- E-P1 or E-P2
- DMC-G1 or DMC-GF1

I'll update the shortlist after reading some reviews. I have to go through and sort the pictures first

Justin.

Last edited by JustinY; Dec 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM. Reason: I got an ugly smile/smirk.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:03 AM   #46

Hi there Justin-

The trip to the Cameron Highlands with the D-100 was very worthwhile as it allowed you to sort out of a lot of issues. That is excellent.

I still continue to us my E-620 more than the G-1. I have been watching very closely over the last 7 days. Your impression about external flash does not surprise me as it is a learned craft. The nice thing about bounce flash lighting, in particular is that it is always consistent, and it is always dependable.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:27 PM   #47
Super Moderator

My impressions after reading your post is that the EP-1/2 may be just the order.

They are small and lightweight, which is of importance to you.
They have in-body image stabilization since you have an aversion to tripod use.
They have one of the best jpeg engines around, which is great since you dont want to process much (this is its biggest advantage over the gf-1)
If the viewfinder is not a big issue, the EP-1 can save you some money over the more expensive EP-1 with detachable viewfinder.

While I agree with Sarah, that the 620 is a capable camera, and a very great one at that, it is still and SLR and the lenses are quite a bit larger than anything on the micro 4/3, so I am not sure it would be compact enough for you. But only you can answer that.

But with compactness and great jpegs of primary importance, the EP-1/2 seems almost a perfect fit for your needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:37 PM   #48

EP-1 is nice, but if you want to reach out the e-620 has more lenses to choose from without having to get an adopter. an if you put the pancake lens on. It is not that much bigger.

Both the e620 and EP-1 is a good camera, but the e620 is a more capable camera at a better price point if that is important to you. 2 lenses with the e620 is 100 bucks less then the ep-1 with one lens
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:22 PM   #49

PS

I like the retro of the ep-1. My wife likes it, she is thinking about either the leica x1 or the ep-1. She really did the retro.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:23 AM   #50

Quote:
The trip to the Cameron Highlands with the D-100 was very worthwhile as it allowed you to sort out of a lot of issues. That is excellent.
It is. It allowed me to iron out a lot of doubts and questions. It was good that I managed to borrow the D100 from a friend.

Quote:
I still continue to us my E-620 more than the G-1. I have been watching very closely over the last 7 days. Your impression about external flash does not surprise me as it is a learned craft. The nice thing about bounce flash lighting, in particular is that it is always consistent, and it is always dependable.
Fair point. I have dropped the G1 from the list as its size is similar to that of a E-620. Though the E-620, E-P1/2 and GF1 is still on the short list.

I guess flash photography is a learnt craft and is widely misunderstood and it is something that I have to consider at some point in time. All in due time I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
My impressions after reading your post is that the EP-1/2 may be just the order.

They are small and lightweight, which is of importance to you.
They have in-body image stabilization since you have an aversion to tripod use.
They have one of the best jpeg engines around, which is great since you dont want to process much (this is its biggest advantage over the gf-1)
If the viewfinder is not a big issue, the EP-1 can save you some money over the more expensive EP-1 with detachable viewfinder.

While I agree with Sarah, that the 620 is a capable camera, and a very great one at that, it is still and SLR and the lenses are quite a bit larger than anything on the micro 4/3, so I am not sure it would be compact enough for you. But only you can answer that.

But with compactness and great jpegs of primary importance, the EP-1/2 seems almost a perfect fit for your needs.
I personally don't know how I will come to terms to using the LCD screen to compose. I am not saying it is not a good enough tool, it is, but I don't know if I can use it comfortably. Perhaps only time will tell. Though the E-P2 with its better viewfinder is quite attractive as compared to the GF1. Though such accessories will be upgraded from time to time with new releases.

One more option too with the E-P1/E-P2 and the GF1, is that I can screw on the pancake lens for dinner dates, social outings or when portability and size is of concern and still have the option of screwing on the Panasonic 14-42mm, 14-150mm or 14-54 MKII with 4/3 adapter when I am out during the day etc.

The versatility is quite attractive in my opinion. Especially pairing up the E-P2 + Panasonic 25mm lens ... mmm

Any comments on the E-P2 vs E-P1 Hards80? Any defining improvement that will sway me to an E-P2 versus an E-P1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
EP-1 is nice, but if you want to reach out the e-620 has more lenses to choose from without having to get an adopter. an if you put the pancake lens on. It is not that much bigger.

Both the e620 and EP-1 is a good camera, but the e620 is a more capable camera at a better price point if that is important to you. 2 lenses with the e620 is 100 bucks less then the ep-1 with one lens
I agree. It is now crunch time, so I will be making my decision soon. Even if I did go for the E-620, there is no supply at the moment til January, so yea, I am stuck in a rut.

The trip was an eye opener for me. If I had gotten a D3000, I would be in knots when lugging it around etc. It is one thing to convince yourself in the store that the D3000 is compact (by today's standards) and manageable, but it is a different thing all together when you are actually out there shooting with it and having it strapped around your neck and shoulder etc.

Oh how I can't wait to get one of my own!

Any how, here are just some pictures I took while on the trip.

1. Strawberry Park Resort - where we stayed.
2. BOH tea plantation - everything you see are tea leaves.
3. & 4. Couple of roses.
5. I quite like this one for some odd reason.

Comments are very much welcome

Justin.
Attached Images