Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:06 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
The GF1 is a nice piece of kit.

As is often the case, you really don't know what you will be happy with until you get to the store and get some hands-on time. this case proves it.
Yup, and that is the advice that I have seen you and many others passing on and it really is invaluable.

Thank you Hards80.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:36 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinY View Post
Yup, and that is the advice that I have seen you and many others passing on and it really is invaluable.

Thank you Hards80.

Justin.
Since everything is on back order, I would wait before you purchase and try everything out. You may find out that you really want the viewfinder in your camera. Unless you are in a dyer rush, it seems more prudent to wait till the shops have everything you are considering.

merry X-Mas
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:09 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Since everything is on back order, I would wait before you purchase and try everything out. You may find out that you really want the viewfinder in your camera. Unless you are in a dyer rush, it seems more prudent to wait till the shops have everything you are considering.

merry X-Mas
Hi shoturtle,

No worries. Like you said, everything is in back order at the moment, I will just wait for the black GF1 with pancake lens. I am pretty much decided on it already.

Though I doubt there will be any new micro 4/3 camera announcements in January 2010?

Merry Christmas to you too.

Justin.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:22 AM   #74

Mirco 4/3 sounds like the system that fits your needs the best, hopefully it will get back instock soon. I do not think there will be any new mirco 4/3 coming out in jan, earliest will be march.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:59 AM   #75

Well, that sounds very positive, Justin-

Perhaps you have found the "right fit" in a camera. I believe that we will see a lot of activity in the m4/3 format and the near m4/3 format cameras in the 1st quarter of 2010. I think that some big name players are going to jump into this niche market.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:32 AM   #76

Happy new year all

Got a call from the shop few days back, they have my GF1 in black, with the pancake kit lens on reserved *happy dance* Now, if only I can find time in between work to dash down to get it!

Ever since the call, my mind has been playing with me, throwing spanners and curve balls about making the right choice on the GF1. And with the announcement of the Samsung NX10, it seems I am back to square one.

However, I am quite disappointed that Samsung went with their own system, instead of joining Micro 4/3. With the NX lenses limited and no lens roadmap being released, it will be sometime before the NX lenses family catches up with 4/3 or Micro 4/3 lenses. Regardless, it is only available sometime spring '10 in the States, and I wouldn't know if Malaysia will be importing them in - and I rather not wait. Besides that, with the size of the NX10, I am sure I will be better off with a regular 4/3 like the E-620.

Which brings me right back at where I am with the GF1 Fingers crossed, I should be able to pick it Thursday or Friday.

Justin - I should stop having dreams of GF1 vs E-P2!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:55 PM   #77

Justin,

I think the GF1 or ep2 will be the right camera for you. Once you get a chance to play around with both, you will be able to decide between them as both are very capable cameras that fits your requirement nicely.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:25 PM   #78
Super Moderator

The GF1 will server you really well.

So get excited about it, and don't get cold feet!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:56 PM   #79

So I finally bought the GF1 with the pancake lens. Spent RM3,200 (approx $950) and comes with an 8GB card and extra Panasonic battery. Absolutely delighted with it.

Tomorrow, will be getting my LCD protector, microfiber cloth and smaller bag for it. Ordered a 46mm hood for it too which should arrive Monday/Tuesday.

Thank you all for the advice Very much appreciated.

Justin.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:00 PM   #80

Congrats on the new camera, from where you started to where you ended up are completely different. But the GF1 seems the best fit for your requirements. Enjoy.