Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:45 PM   #1

Default nikon d90 vs. canon t1i

going to be getting a camera for christmas and need help figuring out which one to get..ive been trying to decide between the d90 and t1i and having a hard time.. anyone have feelings about either camera?
sa21189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you really can't go wrong either way. as far as image quality goes they compete quite nicely with one another.

my best advice is to try both out. the t1i is smaller and lighter than the d90, which appeals to some, while the d90 is beefier and more solid, which appeals to others. head down to your local store, spend a little time with both, you will quickly decide which one you will be most comfortable shooting all day.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3

You are looking at 2 different grade of camera according to the industry. The T1I is aimed at competing with the D5000, but it is often compare to against to the D90. The canon 50D was meant to be the d90's competition. There is a big price difference between the 2 camera about 250 dollars. Actually right now with the canon promotions you can get the T1i with 2 lenses 18-55mm and 55-250mm for a little less then price of the D90 with only the 18-105mm lens. That is the price point difference .

But both camera takes great photos. Both have a hugh selection of lenses to chose form their brand and 3rd party lenses.

It comes down to what you like and what you shoot.

Do you want a larger or smaller camera. With me since my wife uses the camera also, we decided to go with a smaller camera. It is easier to handle, and since we travel allot also, the smaller camera made more carrying sense. Also which control layout do you prefer. Do you prefer the way the controls ergos are set up on one over the other.

If you can, go to best buy or a camera shop, bring a sd card with you, and take a photo of the same thing with both camera, go home. And see which one's photo appeal to you more. The canon is more vivid while the nikon has less noise.

Are you planning to shoot fast motion. If so the D90 has a faster burst rate at 4.5/fps vs 3.4/fps.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:49 AM   #4

shoturtle has made some excellent points. I urge you and your wife together to go to a camera shop and physically handle both the Canon T-1 and the Nikon D-90 cameras. How a camera feels in hand and how your hands match the camera control is a much more important issue that is generally discussed.

That visit will also give you both the opportunity to directly compare camera sizes and weights, so it really is important to accomplish the hands on test.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:08 PM   #5
Banned

D90 is wat nicer. Anything with the Canon, Fuji, Sony or Olympus logo, is nothing even worth looking at.

Stay with Nikon.
ovomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:36 PM   #6

I would ignore the prior post, seem to one sided.

nikon made in thailand,
canon still made in japan,

Given the where each is made, I think the canon has the edge on build quality if you subscribe to the what the prior post posted.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:48 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Actually, lets drop both arguments. Neither add significant information to this post.

Most camera manufacturers have plants throughout Asia. Most still produce their high end products in Japan though.

for example Canon has plants in Japan, Malaysia, China and Taiwan.

Nikon dropped alot of money into their plant in Thailand, and from what I hear it is a very nice place. And if you were wondering, Thai people are very passionate about their photography.

In the end, where the product is assembled should not influence purchase.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:53 PM   #8

I totally agree, it is not a valid argument. I just throw it out to rebuff the prior post, that nikon is the end all be all, lol.

True all the major makes has plants all over asia, but canon still makes all their dslr in japan. Their chinese, and Indonesia plants make the p&s stuff.

I have been to Thailand quite a few time. And they are very knowledgeable about photography. It is a beautiful country to shoot.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Yea, I realized that, thats just my more official and informative way to say "don't feed the trolls"

lol