Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:34 PM   #11

riewis-

I think your next step is to visit a good camera store and physically handle the Canon T-1. How a camera feels in hand, and how your hands reach the controls is very important.

Have a good day and happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:09 PM   #12

Tempting deal at Costco;
Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera
AF-S DX VR NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G (Image Stabilization)
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED (Image Stabilization)
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (Image Stabilization)
4GB SD Card
All for $1189.00
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:57 PM   #13

You are now comparing apples to apples. As the T1i and D5000 are the cameras that each brand pit against each other to do battle.

You are limited to only AF-S lens, as the d5000 will not accept the whole nikon line up. I was comparing the D5000 against the T1i when I was researching my purchase. The T1i will use all the canon lens both ef and ef-s for the aps-c format, and all the 3rd party lenses developed for the eos.

But that said, the nikon AF-S lens do perform well. Some say a bit better then the Canon kit lens.

For low light shooting the canon T1i has a higher ISO 12800 vs the 6400 of the D5000

Both takes excellent picture, the t1i colors are more vivid but the D5000 has less noise.

The 15mp T1i allow for more resolution after cropping then the 12mp of the D5000

The canon has a better display at 3 inch, and a lot better resolution. The d5000 has a swivel 2.7 screen, which is nice for the over the head shots and video.

The t1i has the option of a handicap full hd at 1080 at 20fps or 720 at 24 and 30fps. The d5000 only does 720. But HD dslr are still a work in progress.

Just somethings to consider. I would suggest that you go to a camera shop play around with the ergo set up, see which one feels better to you. Also bring your own sd card. And take photos of the same object with both camera. Go home and see which ones pictures you prefer. I did find the canon was layout better for one hand operation over the d5000.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:02 PM   #14

PS

Canon has the xmas deals right now
899 for the t1i
EF-s 55-25mm IS
EF-s 18-55 IS
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15

It's a very tough decision. I was in Bestbuy (not the best place to discuss cameras) this past weekend. I liked the feel of the Nikon but the Canon did nto seem to be functioning well for some reason.

I like the swivel screen on the Nikon. Lenses that I have are not an issue as I am basically starting from scratch.

Thanks for the note on the video. I did not catch that difference on the two.

I guess I need to go down to Wolf Camera and ask some questions and play with both.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis0083 View Post
It's a very tough decision. I was in Bestbuy (not the best place to discuss cameras) this past weekend. I liked the feel of the Nikon but the Canon did nto seem to be functioning well for some reason.

I like the swivel screen on the Nikon. Lenses that I have are not an issue as I am basically starting from scratch.

Thanks for the note on the video. I did not catch that difference on the two.

I guess I need to go down to Wolf Camera and ask some questions and play with both.
I know, it took me 2 months of reading and visiting BH and Adorama numerous times to make my decision when I switch form slr to dslr. I had a bigger list then you. I looked at the pentax K7, canon 5d and T1i, e620 and e30, nikon d90 and d5000, and Sony a380. I borrowed and rented most of them. And I came away with the T1i over the olympus E620.

I think there was an online petition to canon to get a firmware update for the t1i to get a 24fps for the 1080 mode. So the rumor mills are rumbling that it may happen.

PS
the canon at bestbuy may be a bit beat up or the power supply is not working properly.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: PS
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:16 PM   #17

Canon has announced a handful of compact cameras including models aimed squarely at keen photographers. Top of the line is the PowerShot G11, successor to its flagship PowerShot G10 compact released last year. The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCD though it still uses the same 28-140mm equivalent stabilized lens. The camera also gains a tilt and swivel LCD, though the size drops to 2.8 inches. Flash sync speed increases to 1/2000th of a second and HDMI output is also added. Other features include Dual Anti-Noise System (more sensitive sensor and Digic 4 offering a claimed 2-stop improvement over the G10), RAW shooting and P/A/S/M shooting modes.

To achieve this I need a camera that offers great image and build quality without the bulk, and the PowerShot G series is perfect for this purpose. When shooting in areas of conflict, itís important to have a compact camera in my bag that allows me to work discreetly but also provides the level of quality required to get the photos I need. The G Series excels in this respect, delivering great quality images from a compact body that is less intimidating than that of an SLR.Ē

Professional photographers will benefit from the G11ís greatly expanded dynamic range.Canonís new Dual Anti-Noise System combines a high sensitivity 10.0 Megapixel image sensor with Canonís enhanced DIGIC 4 image processing technology to increase image quality and greatly improve noise performance by up to 2 stops (compared to PowerShot G10). The PowerShot G11 also includes i-Contrast technology, which prevents high-light blowout whilst retaining low-light detail Ė ideal for difficult lighting situations
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:32 PM   #18

readone-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

It sounds like the Canon G-11 is just about perfect for your use. I tried the G-11 but I missed the interchangeable lenses that allowed me to change the perspective very quickly, so after three weeks I returned the G-11 and went back to my DSLR's.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:23 PM   #19

Would I be better off just investing in a good zoom and keeping my D70 and then get a a Canon G11 to replace my little Canon Elph (about 5 years old)? I just can not decide what I should do.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis0083 View Post
Would I be better off just investing in a good zoom and keeping my D70 and then get a a Canon G11 to replace my little Canon Elph (about 5 years old)?
What is it about your D70 that doesn't satisfy your needs?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote