Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:03 PM   #21

I look at pictures others take and I feel that my D70 just is not up to par. Could it be my lens or is it my abilities?
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:07 PM   #22

The other thing I am torn between is getting a DSLR that captures video as well. Am I better off just getting separate video camera and not relying on a DSLR tackling both roles?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:09 PM   #23

Well, rlewis-

Are you telling us that it is coming down to decision time? It looks like you are reconsidering lot of issues. That's healthy! This is a big decision. Just let us know how we can help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:02 PM   #24

While there are advantages to shooting video with a dSLR, they are few. Generally, a camcorder will do a much better job, unless you have something specific in mind.

The D70 was a fine camera in its day, but much progress has been made since then. So maybe you would benefit from an upgrade. But for us to know for sure, could you elaborate on what it is in the photos of others that you'd like to see in your own?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:59 PM   #25

Take a look at some of the photo's I have put in my album and let me know am I being realistic. Should I upgrade or just work on my skills with my D70?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis0083 View Post
Take a look at some of the photo's I have put in my album and let me know am I being realistic. Should I upgrade or just work on my skills with my D70?
I like them. Some of them might have been the victim of some tricky exposure situations, and the the program you used to reduce them has stripped out the EXIF data so there's no way to tell for sure, but I like them.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:31 PM   #27

Rlewis,

These are very lovely shots, your skill are fine, I remember when I was at ft. carson. When the clouds rolls in, it really change the light and makes it more tricky to get extact exposure. Also the higher alt of Colorado and thin air allows for less rayleigh scattering so the light affects the shot differently then at sea level. Making bad light situations tougher. If you are not satisfy with your shoot, it is not you imho.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:26 PM   #28

I originally posted asking about the Canon Eos T1i and the NIkon D5000. Is the Nikon D90 a better camera than the D5000? It seems to be but I am looking for opinions here. Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:58 PM   #29

The D90 has a better LCD display, but it doesn't articulate the way the one on the D5000 does. The D90 can use all Nikkor AF lenses, but because the D5000 doesn't have the built-in autofocus motor, it can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses. The D90 has a larger, brighter optical viewfinder. The D90 has a Depth-of-Field Preview Button that the D5000 lacks. The D90 has Flash Bracketing that the D5000 lacks, and it can control multiple flashes wirelessly, while the D5000 can't. The D90 can take a lot more photos on a single battery charge, and it can use a battery pack/vertical grip. The D5000 has more scene modes, and can do more post processing in the camera.

The D90 is a more 'Prosumer' camera, while the D5000 is more of a dSLR for beginners.

After you've been using your D70 all this time, I think you'd be disappointed with the D5000.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:06 PM   #30

I have an older Tamron Zoom I used on my N90S. Would this Zoom work with the D90? It is a Tamron 28 to 200 AF, Aspherical.

I had not thought of the fact that I really am at a point where I should consider upgrading to a more high end camera where the D5000 is not the optimum choice. Thanks for pointing that out to me.