Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Replace my Nikon D70

I want to replace my D70. Can I get action shots from a Canon G11? Or, should I go with another Digital SLR? If so, recommendations appreciated.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:11 PM   #2

riewis-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Yes, you can get action shot with a Canon G-11 camera with effort. But in all honesty, action shots are much easier to do with a true DSLR camera. Is budget the issue holding you back from another DSLR camera?

There is a good selection of entry level DSLR cameras beginning at around $(US)500.00. Please tell us the kind of photo you are currently taking or hope to take in the future.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:18 PM   #3

Budget is always an issue but I want to make sure I get the best camera to suit my needs.

My first camera was a Canon AE1 many years ago, then a Nikon FM, and then another Nikon and now my D70. I like Nikon but I have been leaning heavily back to Canon.

I like the review I have read here about the Canon Rebel T1i as well as the Nikon D5000. I want the most compact I can get with a camera but the best performance and pic quality. I have had my D70 since 2004 but I have never been satisfied with the pic quality from it.

Suggestions!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:32 PM   #4

riewis-

The Canon T-1 is an excellent camera choice offering a decided high ISO capability and HD video. It is certainly up there at the top of the class.

Keep in mind that canon also offers the widest selection of lenses as well. The next step in my mind will be for you to physically handle the T-1 and to see how it feels in hand and if the span of control placements fit your hand spread comfortably.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:33 PM   #5

You seem to be a bit more technical than myself on all this but that definitely helps me as I really like what I have read about the Canon. I have yet to pick one up and even play around with it.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:41 PM   #6

If you have a collection of Nikon lenses already, the Nikon D90 compares well to the Canon T1i (though it costs slightly more) and it can use the lenses you've already got.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:50 PM   #7

Ah, there in lies a problem. I bought a cheap Quantaray lens for the D70 and it is horrible. The zoom from my old N90S (Tamron) just does not work on my D70. I have been told by a Camera dealer in town the chip set is not compatible. So, I am at a cross road and trying to decide to stay Nikon or go back to Canon!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:57 PM   #8

Then I think you should go to a camera store, try them both on for size, and buy the one you like.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

yea, i agree with TCAV

you are basically starting from scratch. so head down and see which one fits your hand best and which menu you enjoy. coming from the d70, the t1i is going to feel pretty small, so fair warning there.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:09 PM   #10
Banned

Try the Nikon D60 or D80 or D90.
ovomac is offline   Reply With Quote