Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:10 AM   #1

Default Suggestion for Point and Shoot

Hello to everybody!

I'm a beginner with photo-shooting, and looking for a new compact, point and shoot digital camera to replace my Panasonic DMC-FX10 cos it fell into water on my last trip.

I'm looking on shooting armature outdoor pictures and I've done some research on what would be fit for my choice.

I have a budget of $300 and below is the list of cameras that i'm considering on buying. I wanted to ask your suggestions and experience you've had with them.

1. Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR
2. Panasonic DMC-FX580
3. Olympus Stylus 9000
4. Panasonic DMC-ZS3
5. Nikon Coolpix S70
6. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290

I will greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions on one of the above.

Thanks,
Derek
d-nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:26 AM   #2
Super Moderator

For outdoor photos, the Panasonic ZS-3 would be my pick for its great image quality and good lens covering a very useful 25-300mm equivalent lens, and good build quality. Bonus is a great implementation of HD video with zoom during video. If you do not need HD video, the Panasonic ZS1 is almost the same camera without HD video, and with a slightly smaller and lower quality LCD screen.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:41 AM   #3

Derek-

Welcome to the Forum. We are very pleased that you dropped by.

I certainly agree that the Panasonic ZS3 would be an excellent outdoor choice. If you wanted to save some money you can look at the ZS1 or ZR1 cameras as has been previously mentioned by Hards.

Camera prices vary by our geographical location in the world. Thank Goodness, the USA enjoys some of the best camera prices anywhere. If you do live in the USA, also take a look at the somewhat larger, but more feature rich Panasonic FZ-35 camera. There is a very sizable increase in image quality between the ZS3 and the FZ-35. The FZ-35 is currently selling for $325.00, so a $25.00 increase in price will purchase a 20% to 30% improvement in image quality and a much, much better built-in flash unit. Please give it some thought.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4

Default Which one?

My mom is asking for my advice for a new camera. She is mostly a point and shoot person & wants a rechargeable battery and 10x optical zoom.

I have a Panasonic FZ7 that I love. I'd like to give her some options that are similar to the FZ7 because that camera is no longer available. What would you recommend?

Thanks.
Silver Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5

silverstarfish-

If Mom does not need HD video the Panasonic ZS1 or ZR1 are excellent choices. The ZS1 has 12X optical zoom and the ZR1 has 8X optical zoom. However, with indoor photos, the very small, very weak flash on the ZS-1 and ZS-3 cameras produced far less light than that required for equall good image quality indoors. As a result, due the weak,small flash, indoor image quality falls to fair to below average.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6

thanks for the replies, im going with Panasonic ZS3
d-nepal is offline   Reply With Quote