Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Help! Need suggestions for P&S

Hi! I am soooo confused after reading many reviews from many different sites. I am shopping for a decent point & shoot digital camera for two adult children. I want to buy two of the same cameras so there are no issues of who got the better camera. (I know that shouldn't be an issue w/ adults, but it just makes things simpler.)

I have been looking at cameras in the $300-$400 range. I am a long time Canon user, but it doesn't have to be a Canon. The most important factors are:

good indoor and outdoor pictures (accurate color for indoor is a priority)
fast flash recycle rate
little shutter lag
zoom (doesn't have to be ultra)
video
compact
photo size: most would be in the 4x6 to 8x10 range

I really hope that someone can help make this decision easier, since time is running out (Christmas presents)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!
S
skadlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Sony H20 offers good flash output for indoor shots, its a tad bulky, but fairly compact.

Canon offers the SX120IS or the smaller and more elegant, yet costly SX200IS that would do well for those needs. both are within your budget.

Panasonic's ZS3 would also be a good choice, great image quality, and good build. but a little lacking on flash output.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:15 PM   #3

skadlady-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

I see the Canon SX120 at $199.00 as a real best buy for Christmas. It is a bit smaller and sleeker that the rather tick Sony H-20 camera priced at $245.00

Have a great day and Happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! I have not done a lot of research on the Sony, but notice that Hards80 is a big fan. It looks like it might be a little bulky for my daughter, but not so much of an issue for my son. Yes, it's more complicated trying to fit both of their needs into one package.

I have considered both the Panasonic ZS3 and SX200IS. I like the wide angle and hd video features for both, as well as the size. They have both gotten good reviews.

I am concerned about the ZS3 having too much of a yellow cast on skin tone, son is a tattoo artist and most of the pictures he takes are of skin! The proprietary battery is a bit pricey to buy extras, although I wonder if it is the chip inside the battery that makes it a little faster than the Canon?

With the SX200IS, I wonder how annoying the pop up flash is, and if it is something that might get damaged easily?

The Canon SX120 probably takes good pictures, but it also takes AA batteries, like my SX100IS, and the flash refresh rate is terrible.

And so goes my dilemma!
skadlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:30 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If a super-zoom is not important, and size is a factor.

You may also look into the Panasonic ZR1, offers a still impressive 8x zoom, full HD video with zoom during capture, and good 12.1mp sensor.

I have heard reports of unnatural skin tone on the ZS3, not sure what is causing that, and I have not really seen any examples to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt.

If it does worry you. The Canon SX200IS really competes quite neck-in-neck with the ZS3. Except it will not optically zoom while shooting video. the pop-up flash is annoying for some, but i wouldnt worry bout damage, and i don't think its a deal-breaker.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote