Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:16 PM   #11

I do agree that the linked review is a good one. It certainly places the E-620 in a favorable light. However, if the OP is interested in shooting at ISO settings numerically higher than ISO 1600, as sometimes is require in sports shooting, the E-620 might not be the best selection.

I think that will still have to hear more from the OP about the kind of photos he or she is now taking that those that the OP wants to take in the future.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:31 PM   #12

Thank you everyone! I think the D90 is the better choice, because it will shoot in low light. I shoot my jewelry in my house and without a tent, so I need to not use flash. Is there a good place to get a tent? Also, can you program the D90 or even the E-620 to always shoot above a specific ISO?
virginiag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:36 PM   #13

you can with both, with the manual or partial program mode to shot at a higher iso that you select.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:40 PM   #14

PS, have you went to a store that had these two cameras, and see if you like the feel and ego of each?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:49 PM   #15

How much lighter and smaller is the e-620 than the d90? Which takes sharper pictures?

The other contender has been the XSi or Xti, but I was uncomfortable with an older XT. I could not easily find the buttons. I want my digital to shoot like an old camera. My FE was sharp!!!.

I generally use one lens so what is the length of the 14-42? How long is the Olympus in old style terms? Is there a way to carry these easily when in a bad area or while hiking?

Usually when hiking, I just carry a P&S. Is there one that shoots RAW?

Keep in my mind my budget is about $1000 USD.

Thank you for the link. I had noticed that noise started at 1600. Whereas the Nikon is much higher.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:55 PM   #16

I was looking at the Costco site and the Olympus is gone now. That is where I was going to buy from. Any ideas?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:12 PM   #17

Actually allot, the e620 is tiny next to the D90 the difference is about 1.5 pounds with the lens, about 10oz body only. Both takes excellent picture to the point that you really need to crop in to see the differences in regular lighting, the D90 just preform better at low light without a flash. If you are doing a bunch of hiking the olympus is a better hiking companion. It is less then 2 pound with the 14-42mm lens, and even lighter with the pancake lens.

The d90 with the 18-105 will blow pass your budget. The olympus with a 2 lens kit about 650, while the d90 with the 18-105 is about 1150.

The crop factor for a 4/3 is 2 while the nikon is at 1.6 if I remember correctly, so the olympus 14-42 should be 28-84 in full frame.

The XSi is a better camera then the XTi. The d90 is bigger then the xsi also.

If you were looking for a camera that shoot raw, I think some of the bridge camera shot raw. But none of the pure p&s I seen shot raw.

PS

the crop factor for the nikon d90 is 1.6 because it is not full frame either but aps-c format.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM. Reason: post script
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiag2 View Post
I was looking at the Costco site and the Olympus is gone now. That is where I was going to buy from. Any ideas?
BH or adorama, buy online both has excellent customer service, and no sale tax if you are out of NYS. I have dealt with adorama allot, and have had excellent service, bh is good, just when I go there it is a mob sceen sometime. E620 with only one lens is form either one is about 570 dollars.

If you go with the olympus, pass on the xd card, get the 8gb cf card instead. It can handle both. CF card is a less compress format.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:46 PM   #19

The E-620, IMO, wins the lighter camera and the sharpness award. Here is a 100% crop of a photo I just took of my husband with my E-620 and the Zukio 40-150mm lens.

Have a great day. Happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:52 PM   #20

That is a great deal of detail! Is that a JPG or RAW?