Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:40 PM   #11

Yeah, I forgot about the tax issue form cross border transactions. Enjoy the new toy, it should serve you well. It does have the best live view, and it has the articulating screen that the e520 does not have. It should give you years of enjoyable memories.

check out this link, it gives workshops on photo techniques with youtube video

www.dslrtips.com
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:57 PM   #12

Well, congratulations on your purchase. The Sony is a fine camera and I'm sure you'll put it to good use. You should know that Sony DSLRs are essentially Minoltas (remember them?). A few years ago, Sony bought Minolta's camera business as a going concern and put their name on it. Sony, of course, has also been adding their own technology to the products and improving them.

Sony has perhaps the best live view for a DSLR in the business. But I suspect you'll find that live view will be most useful if you use a tripod (live view with a tripod is great for portraits, landscapes and shooting things like fireworks). DSLRs are a lot larger and heavier than point-and-shoot cameras. Holding them away from your body in order to use the LCD for shooting images isn't a very stable arrangement. I predict you'll soon learn that using the viewfinder allows you to stabilize the camera against your face/head for better results.

Also, keep in mind that, as a result of the Sony-Minolta history, there are a lot of older Minolta lenses that are compatible with your new camera. That means even if you don't have a lot of money in the future and discover that you could use yet another lens or lenses, there will be good options for you on the used market. Check out the Sony DSLR message board on this site if you need to help identifying which Minolta lenses are compatible with your camera.

In fact, now that you've made your purchase, you'll find there's a lot of support and comraderie for you on this site. So stick around. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Biro; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:17 AM   #13

I am disappointed that Costco had the e-620, and when I went to buy it today, it was gone. Now I have to find someone with a good return policy! If you know who that might be, please let me know.
virginiag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:21 AM   #14

Virginiag2

Are you canadian also. If so how about bestbuy.ca? Bestbuy has a good return policy. If you live in the states take a look at Adorama.com they have a 14 no questions ask on photo, 7 days on video and audio, minus the shipping cost. Right now they have the two lens kit for 653 with free shipping with ups. BHphotovideo.com is pretty good also. Amazon.com has it with free shipping via usps for 648, and a 30 return policy.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 1:35 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:48 AM   #15

Shorturtle, I am in the US. I will check those out. Thank you! So I take it you are happy with yours? I need something like a megazoom but with better quaility and RAW images. So it sounds like this would fit the bill. I have neck issues and other issues. I wanted a high quality lightweight camera. The D90 was just way more than I could afford. GG
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:43 AM   #16

the D90 is not light weight, it is about 1.6 pounds heavier with the stock 18-105mm then the olympus. I have a canon T1i which I love, but I was really impress by the e620. I almost have brought the e620, it was my second choice. I had canon lens, and that was what made a very hard decision between the e620 and the canon t1i a bit easier. I was really liking the olympus as I really don't go past 1600iso to often and like the ample in camera processing and filters.

I borrowed the e620 from a friend for a weekend shooting trip during me research of dslr's. And it took great pictures, and very easy to handle. And I really like all the features it had.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 4:28 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:56 AM   #17

PS

If you want megazoom, you might want get the single lens kit, and get the olympus 70-300mm lens instead of the 40-150mm. You go from 80-300 to 140-600mm with the crop factor of 2 for the four third format. That is allot of zoom, but you will have a gap form 42 to 70 which is form 82-140mm that may not be such a good thing either. I would stick with the 2 lens kit, and add the 70-300mm later on.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
PS

If you want megazoom, you might want get the single lens kit, and get the olympus 70-300mm lens instead of the 40-150mm. You go from 80-300 to 140-600mm with the crop factor of 2 for the four third format. That is allot of zoom, but you will have a gap form 42 to 70 which is form 82-140mm that may not be such a good thing either. I would stick with the 2 lens kit, and add the 70-300mm later on.
Which is exactly what I did and am thrilled with the output.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:09 AM   #19

I am an owner of both the Olympus E-620 and the Nikon D-90. I love the E-620 for its lightness, it excellent jpeg engine (RAW is not really necessary, but optional), and the wonderful sharpness of its lenses.

The D-90 is an excellent camera, but it is very much akin to a heavy duty freight train when sitting side by side next to the E-620. I do tend to use the E-620 a bit more than the D-90, due to it lightness. However, there are also contracts that require huge prints, or specialized shooting , that only the D-90 can do.

Here is a 100% crop of a photo that I took of my husband yesterday, from the E-620 that really illustrates the jpeg quality and sharpness of the E-620 and it was taken 21 feet away from him using the Olympus 40-150mm lens.

I have purchased many times from Amazon and have alway been very pleased with their quick shipping, excellent customer service, and the liberal return policy, which I have taken advantage of multiple times. They are excellent!

Have a great day and Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:02 PM   #20

I can get the d90 for about 1200 with the lens. One thing I am thinking of is buying the e-620 used so that I can test it and then return it and get whichever I like. It is not the best way but the one way where things are returnable.

What do you mean about the prints needing to be from the D90. I know that I shot a pic of my parents on a Canon XT and we were able to to blow it up to a very large print, with no noise trouble at all.

GG