Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:13 PM   #21

I would just get a new one from amazon with a cf card for the e620, play with it for a day or two. If you do not like it, you can return it no questions ask. Then get the D90 if you do no like the e620. Seems simpler then getting two and less money floating around.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:49 AM   #22

Hi again everyone. Been playing around with the my Sony 330 package and while I really like the camera, I am thinking of returning it and trying something else.

The problem is, I don't find the kit lenses all that useful. My kit came with the standard 18 - 55 mm lens and the 55 - 200 mm lens. I find the zoom on the first lens too short and the macro on the second lens too long and I'm not particularly fond of dragging two lenses everywhere I go.

First and foremost, I am constrained by budget and while the Sony package deal was great at $589 CDN, I am thinking of stretching my budget slightly and getting a Nikon D3000 with an 18 - 105 mm lens for $750 CDN. I imagine that the 18 - 105 mm VR lens will allow me sufficient zoom and eliminate the need for me to carry two separate lenses.

My question is, how does the Nikon 3000 compare to the Sony 330? In the weeks of using the Sony, I find I no longer use live view and strictly use the viewfinder so live view is not a concern. What is of concern is pic quality, speed of auto focus system, ability to shoot in low light conditions etc. How do the two cameras rate on those levels?

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks.
markusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:13 AM   #23

Can you try selling the two Sony kit lenses to get the other "all in one" lense ?....One thing to be remember is that lower priced 18-105mm or 18-200mm can be considered soft. Make sure you get a well reviewed one.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:43 AM   #24

I second the selling of the two lenses and getting something like the sigma 18-200 or tamron 18-200. 105 may be to short for some application when it starts to get warm outside.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:28 AM   #25

Actually I like the Nikon 18-105mmVR lens a lot. Yes, there is a bit of distortion to deal with in software at the 18mm mark, but that is easily accomplished. And that 18-105mm lens paired with the 55-200VR is a great package.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:24 PM   #26

Mark had mentioned he doesn't want to carry two lenses all the time.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:34 PM   #27

Thanks, anthony_b-

I guess I missed that. In that event, I would be happy with the Nikon 18-105mmVR and do the zooming with my feet.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:17 PM   #28

Thanks everyone. I quickly dropped by my local camera shop and briefly handled the Nikon with the 18-105 mm lens and quite liked it, but found it very heavy in comparison to the Sony with the 18-55 mm lens. I guess the weight difference comes down to the lens itself as I think I remember the bodies weighing quite similar previously. I think the weight will be an issue with my wife over time so may stick with the Sony as I quite like it's handling, though I admit that I like the Canon XSi the best.

Is there a good Sigma or comparable lens from Sony that is a good walk-around solution, similar to the one I just tried from Nikon?

Thanks for all the help and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone!
markusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:19 PM   #29

Mark-

Not quite. Sigma has the 17-70 which is a good lens and they also have the 18-125mm lens that I use on my A-230. It is quite good. You just need the non IS model as Sony has in body stabilization. They are currently going for about $100 on E-Bay.

Sarah
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:03 PM   #30

Mark,

Actually you have a concern simular to mine when I was looking for a dslr. I ended going with the t1i with the 18-55 and 55-250 which my wife uses most of the time because it is lighter. I generally use the ef lenses from my old eos 1, 28-135 and 70-300. The 28-135 is my walk around lenses, and the wife uses the ef-s 18-55 and 55-250.

Sigma, and tamron both have lenses in the ranges you are looking for. Sarah has mention 2 sigma possibilities. Have fun with your decision.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM.