Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:37 PM   #1

Default ? DSLR For wife, looking at Sony a330L

She will be learning and hopefully reading. She knows nothing about photography proper, but is a pretty good point and shooter. This will be here first dslr and also "hopefully" the first owners manual she reads. ANy advice, recomendations, help. I am a point and shooter too, but do use my Sony F828 from time to time, and feel it is an exceptional high end consumer camera.
Wapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2

Hi Wapas,

I'm a beginner into the world of manual controls and really am just beginning to educate myself on other camera's, etc. So, the one you've listed, I've no comment on.

However, in trying to learning shooting techniques, etc there's one thing I've learned from this site and others is that it's not the camera that makes a good shot, it's the photographer. And, understanding your camera as well as exposure is key.

Here are some recent sites I've visited which have helped expand my understanding and have been helpful at my level in providing technique advice, etc. If you're wife is interested, it's great to read then to take the camera out and try what you've learned. For me the challenge of getting a good shot always makes bringing out the camera an adventure. It's no longer about just the shot, it's about the composition, the lighting, the background, technique and the subject at hand.

http://www.digital-photography-tips....hy-basics.html

http://digital-photography-school.co...eginners-guide

http://www.easyphotography.info/tips...tal-camera.htm

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/p...ps-techniques/

These are just a few links (with various topics on each respective site). If you google Digital Photography for Beginners, there's tons of info, but so far these sites have been helpful to me in not only providing written text but a visual comparison as well.

Hope this helps.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:02 AM   #3

Is there a particular reason she wants to make the leap from P&S to dSLRs? Is there something about the F828 that she's not happy with? What types of photos does she take?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:27 AM   #4

Also, what types of photos does she take - this is important because it drives what features are important and potentially what lenses she'll need.

Second, depending on the above, we can determine if a particular camera or system is a better fit. Maybe one is maybe one isn't. In either case I think it's important she make a trip to the camera store and handle several cameras. Ergonomics are important and different person to person. Handling the A330, Pentax K-x, Nikon d5000 etc. can help determine if the ergonomics of one appeal to her more than another.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:40 AM   #5

You may want to look at the olympus e620 if she wants a light weight dslr. It is pack with feature that most other camera's in it price range lack. To be honest I am not that big of a fan of the sony's as a dslr. It is a bit lacking compare to the other brands.

Go to
www.dslrtips.com
It is a pretty good site with youtube video for their workshops.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:49 AM   #6

I agree that Sony's more recent dSLRs have been disappointing for a number of us for a number of reasons. But Sony's larger selection of lenses combined with the better AF performance and better high ISO performance should be part of the criteria someone uses when selecting a dSLR, if the user's situation warrants.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:59 AM   #7

Wapas-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Congratulation to your wife as she begins this new and exciting adventure. It sounds as if she enjoys challenges and that is wonderful. Shutterbug has provided some excellent links and I would also like to recommend, "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby.

JohnG's advice to visit a camera shop and physically handle the Sony A-230 and cameras that are similar is excellent advice. How a camera, whether it be a DSLR camera or a P+S camera, feels in hand and how all of the controls fit her hands is an important issue. We here to help and to assist, as your wife makes her way into this new adventure. Photography is wonderful, it can sustain a life long interest, and a continuing sense of art and challenge.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I agree that Sony's more recent dSLRs have been disappointing for a number of us for a number of reasons. But Sony's larger selection of lenses combined with the better AF performance and better high ISO performance should be part of the criteria someone uses when selecting a dSLR, if the user's situation warrants.
I agree with you, that the sony has been a let down recently. But the olympus has a pretty good lens line up and there are some 3rd party lens adding to the line up.

But given the e620 vs a330, the olympus wins hands down. It would be more of an apple to apple comparison if it was the e620 vs. the a380 imho. Top of olympus base line up vs top of the sony base line up.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:31 AM   #9

PS

It I would also look at the canon xsi and the nikon d3000 if you are looking at the cameras in the sony a330 price range. The canon and nikon are both excellent cameras as well.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:52 AM   #10

However, shoturtle-

If the OP's wife is looking especially for LiveView, the Sony A-330 has the best LiveView implementation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote