Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:55 PM   #1

Default A myriad of choices-need help-P&S or Ultra Zoom?

I'm looking for some brand neutral guidance about a camera purchase.
We typically have had Canon products in the past and have been very pleased with performance, but are looking to make a purchase and are open to all advice.

We like to take photos of our new baby, and are looking for the fastest camera to do so without compromising colour and overall photo quality.
We are also looking for an optical zoom greater than 3x but don't feel that we need to exceed 10-12x.
We do shoot video and being able to shoot in HD is of interest but not paramount.

Lastly, we'd like to spend <$300 CAD if possible.

We are struggling with weather these needs are well enough achieved with a compact P&S or if we should visit an "ultra" or "super" zoom type camera. While it's nice to slide a camera into our pockets, we lug around a baby bag everywhere and therefore wouldn't have a problem with a larger form factor.

Having said all of the above, I'm curious as to what readers may suggest.
We were in a shop today and were impressed with the Fuji F70, but would appreciate any other suggestions one might have.

Thanks in advance of your help!
harrisgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:39 PM   #2

harrisgurl-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

IMO the Canon SX-120 (selling for $199 here in the USA) would be an excellent choice. It has 10X optical zoom, full image stabilization, a good built-in flash, and the ability so shoot with numericallyb higher ISO speeds up to and including ISO 800. It does not have HD Video.

If you want HD Video, the best choice is the Sony H-20, which also has 10x optical zoom, the best built-in flash in the class, the the best automatic mode in the class and it allows you to zoom while filming your video. The H-20 sells for $245 here in the USA.

Unless you are very experienced photographers, I would steer clear of the Fuji F-70 EXR camera. There are to many manual selections required due to the complexity of the EXR system.

The SX-120 allow you money for memory cards, a camera bag,

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The sx120is and h20 are both cameras that came to mind for me when reading your post as well.

another that came to mind was panasonic's zr1. this is more compact than the canon or sony, but gives up the superzoom for a more modest 8x. also features HD video while zooming. its quicker shot to shot than the other 2, but doesn't equal the flash output of the sony. ~225 USD.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:36 PM   #4

Thank you both for the suggestions.
I've looked at the Sx120is, and it was the camera we actually originally had in mind as we started to look more seriously, but I read a few reviews that would suggest that it is slow. I was also told that unless we're prepared to go DSLR, we really wont notice a difference in speed between any of the P&S cameras or Ultra zoom cameras. (If this is not the case please let me know!).
We are currently using an Elph SD1100. It's great in that it's small and does the trick most of the time, but we really find it slow, in that continuous shooting we really cannot achieve. I'm also a bit less than impressed about quality, and often find images grainy. I think that's our greatest need---to be able to take a few shots within a few seconds and not wait for that camera to have to reset.

I'll have a look at the h20 (presumably Sony?), and the ZR1 and try to narrow it down from there. Thanks again and if you have any other suggestions feel free to advise!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:11 PM   #5

harrisgurl-

Yes, if you want rapid fire shooting you will have to go to a DSLR camera, which exceeds your current budget by a good margin. Also since HD video is an interest you will have to consider a DSLR like the Pentax Kx, the Nikon D-5000, or the Canon T-1, which pushes up the budget and physical camera size even more. the Pentax Kx, the least expensive of the DSLR cameras mentioned is selling here in the USA for $594 to $625.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:21 PM   #6

Thanks Sarah! I've read some of your replies to other posts--you're awesome! I really really like the looks of the Sony which surprised me as I'm not typically a Sony fan, but I'm going to head out again tomorrow to make a final decision.

Many thanks to all!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:50 PM   #7

harrisgurl-

You're very welcome. We are always here to help.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Super Moderator

the sony is a fine choice if thats what you decide upon. enjoy!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm also a bit less than impressed about quality, and often find images grainy. I think that's our greatest need---to be able to take a few shots within a few seconds and not wait for that camera to have to reset.
Start saving up for a DSLR ...

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote