Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:47 PM   #1

Default Please help! Looking for slimmest pocket cam

Hello! I'm looking for an ultra-slim pocket digital camera. My intentions are to take mostly pictures and some video of people and general life situations; not for extremely serious pics! I'm more concerned with weight and size than other factors (although I don't want a crummy camera!) From all of the research the Sony TS-90 appears to be the best choice, although, I've heard some horror stories. Can anyone help!?! Is there a better choice out there? THANK YOU!
scout622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Sony T90 offers good video and good shooting performance. but it has a little more noise at higher ISO's than many. Still not a bad choice, with good build quality and nice size, and good overall performance.

Samsung's new TL225 is another good choice in the ultra-compacts. Offers good HD video and like the Sony can zoom during video mode. Offers overall better image quality, especially at higher ISOs. It offers duel LCD screens, one on the front and one on the back (both touchscreen), this is nice if you ever shoot yourself, etc. And even if you don't ever use the 2nd lcd, this is a fine compact camera. It is one I keep seeing good things about everywhere I look.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the help! I hate to sound ignorant, but what is "noise at higher ISO's?"
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:38 PM   #4
Super Moderator

when you shoot in lower light, your digital sensor gains up, or becomes more sensitive to light. to keep consistent with older film speeds, manufacturers equate this gain up to the film speed ratings. So ISO 100 will be the least "gained up" or will be the least sensitive to light, but give the cleanest images. as the number goes up, it becomes more sensitive to light, but noise is introduced.

noise is the unwanted blotches, or graininess you often see in low light pictures.

so obviously you want less noise for a cleaner image.

hope that was helpful, it is actually kind of difficult to explain now that i tried.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:39 AM   #5

Again, thank you very much.... it helped a lot! All of this gets confusing after awhile!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6

Canon SD780 IS and Sony W190 are also extra slim. But both have an extending lens instead of a flush lens like the Sony T90. Their other specs are very different from the T90 too.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote