Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:31 AM   #11

pnut-

P+S cameras due to the very small size of their imager are not well adapted to numerically high iso settings. The only exception is the Fuji brand which has made high ISO shooting their specialty.

DSLR cameras with an imager that is roughly 15 times larger in size, when compared to a CCD used in a P+S camera, are much more able at numerically high ISO speeds. One of the few recent exceptions is the canon G-11 which can produce excellent image quality at ISO 1600.

The Leica D-Lux 4 and the LX-3 were both produced by Panasonic in Japan and are based on Panasonic's LX-3 design. So they are essentially the same.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:37 AM   #12

Thank you so much for your patience in helping me to understand the options.

Might the Panasonic GF-1 be a worthwhile (better) alternative to the LX3? Honestly if the EP-1 had a built in flash, it would still be tops on my list.

The size is ok, it has good video, image stabilization, a built in adjustable flash, and has the larger sensor.

Finally, if I were to get the GF-1, what one lens would you suggest to buy/use for general purpose? The one which comes with the camera?

Last edited by pnut; Dec 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:56 AM   #13

pnut-

The Panasonic GF-1 has three lenses currently available for it.

Panasonic Lumix 25mmIS
Panasonic Lumix 14-45mmIS
Panasonic Lumix 45-200mmIS

The 14-45mm lens is a good starter lens that equals 28mm to 90mm in 35mm film terms. Please keep in mind that the Panasonic G-series cameras usually "top out" at ISO 800. High ISO speed have poorer image quality results.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Please keep in mind that the Panasonic G-series cameras usually "top out" at ISO 800. High ISO speed have poorer image quality results.

Sarah Joyce
You mentioned above that "DSLR cameras with an imager that is roughly 15 times larger in size, when compared to a CCD used in a P+S camera, are much more able at numerically high ISO speeds."

As a result, would the GF-1 perform better at ISO800 (max) than the LX3 will at ISO(3200)? I am curious how the two would compare especially since lower light performance is VERY key to my decision.

Last edited by pnut; Dec 16, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:31 AM   #15

pnut-

The LX-3 outputs terrible image quality at ISO 3200! Naturally the GF-1 with an imager at least 12X the size of the imager used on the LX-3, will output much better image quality at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:16 PM   #16

There are advantages to the ep line.

the ep ablity to shoot at 6400iso will allow you not to use the flash in more situration the the 800iso p&s. Granted that it get a bit noise between 1600-6400. But you still can get the shot.

Also you can uses a bounce flash for the EP camera not just the direct flash with ttl from any flash company that makes flashes for olympus. And you can fit a defuser on the flash to soften it up.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote