Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Super Moderator

i think sarah's recommendation of the zs1 and then add a simple slave flash is probably a more elegant solution, and the slave flash will be more powerful than any pop-up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:27 PM   #12

The slave flash is a good idea, but after seeing some pictures Sarah posted in another thread it kinda scared me off. I thought it looked kinda ghetto. The H20's flash was really good IMHO, and I have it set at the lowest setting. I guess my only knock on the H20 is that it doesn't come with a wide angle lens, but I guess it's something I can live without.

WG

Last edited by WeirdG; Dec 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM.
WeirdG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:43 PM   #13

WeirdG-

That is why I suggested adding the DigiSlave-3000 slave flash to cure the indoor photo image problem that the ZS-1 has. It would be a better solution.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:52 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestion Sarah. I think I'm gonna stick with the H20. If the wide angle lens is the only thing missing, then I can live without it. I just ordered a 16GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo card.

BTW, if anyone's looking for a case for the H20, then check out the Sony LCSCSJ. It's designed for smaller Sony cameras, but fits the H20 perfectly.

WG

Last edited by WeirdG; Dec 17, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15

I am glad to hear that you are pleased, WeirdG. The H-20 is very much a performance camera. I love the built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:06 AM   #16

Well, I disagree with both statements. I have several adapters that I used with my old H1 and not one ever broke. The Raynox adapters in particular are very well made. As for using flash, you do get a bit of a shadow at the bottom of the image because the WA converter is...well, wide and it blocks the flash light. However, 2/3 of the image is perfectly fine.

Here are three pictures taken with the Sony H1 and the Raynox WA converter.
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Well, I disagree with both statements. I have several adapters that I used with my old H1 and not one ever broke. The Raynox adapters in particular are very well made. As for using flash, you do get a bit of a shadow at the bottom of the image because the WA converter is...well, wide and it blocks the flash light. However, 2/3 of the image is perfectly fine.

Here are three pictures taken with the Sony H1 and the Raynox WA converter.
The Sony lens adapter breaks easily apparently. Maybe the Raynox adapter is more sturdy. Can you post a link to the Raynox lens adapter?

Thanks,
WG
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:31 AM   #18

Not true. I have the H1 and my son has the H3. We've used their adapters extensively with other converters and never had any problems. Some people are rough and treat their camera equipments like kids toys. If properly used, the original Sony adapters will not easily break. They are sturdy.

I checked the Raynox site and they only have adapters for the H1/H5. BTW, according to their site, the H1 adapter has been discontinued) Now, if the H20 has the same mount thread as either the H1 or H5, then you can get their adapter. If not, the easiest way to go is to use the Sony adapter with a stepping down ring 58 to 52mm so you can then attach the Raynox converter I mentioned. They have other WA converters that may suite you better. The HD-7000PRO WA converter (http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd7000pro/index.htm) has a 58mm mount so you won't need any stepping ring. It will mount right on the Sony adapter.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote