Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 vs. Sony DSC-H20

I want a good camera with an extended zoom. I don't necessarily need the camera to be able to do HD recording, hence the ZS1. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two camera. I also wanted to buy something under $300, and I purchased both cameras for about $280CDN +/- $1. The ZS3 is not an option for me, since it's out of my price range.

I've been playing around with the H20 and it seems like a very good camera which is pretty easy to use. I like how the flash is adjustable too, since the default setting is way too high. I intend to compare it to the ZS1 when I receive it. Which of the two cameras would you buy, and why? Which would give me the best picture quality? I would love to hear some of the community's feedback.

TIA,
WG

Last edited by WeirdG; Dec 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
WeirdG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

outdoors they will be pretty much equal in picture quality.

the zs1 has a much wider angle lens (25mm vs 38mm), which is good for landscapes or architecture.

the h20 has a much better flash, making it more suitable for indoors.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:11 PM   #3

I like the fact that the H20 has a better flash, but I also like how the ZS1 has a wide angle lens.

If both cameras take similar pictures outdoors, then it'll come down to the flash vs. the wide angle lens for me.

I also read that pictures taken with the H20 tend to be more vivid and vibrant, while pictures taken with the ZS1 are more natural. I'll have to compare pictures taken with both cameras.

Anymore comments?

WG
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Super Moderator

really the tradeoff is the flash vs wideangle. thats what it boils down to, in all other respects, the camera's are comparable.

i highly doubt you would see a perceptible difference in image quality.

H20 does HD movies, ZS1 doesnt.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:53 AM   #5

I had one more question. Is there an add-on I can buy and use with the DSC-H20 to make the camera take wide angle pictures?

WG
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:43 AM   #6

Yes. Check out the Raynox website (www.raynox.com). They have a variety of converters (w/a and tele). They make some of the best WA converters you can get. There are plenty of real cheap converters on eBay but they are ALL real poor and produce horrible results. The Raynox site also tells you which adapters you must have depending on the converter and camera brand/model. I don't have the H20 but unless Sony has changed things, an adapter should have come with the camera. Sony standardizes on 58mm mount thread. So, if you choose say the Raynox wa 0.66x 52mm mount, you must either buy another adapter that fits the H20 and has a 52mm mount or a step down ring (58 to 52mm). You attach the ring to your Sony 58mm adapter and then the Raynox lens. The first solution may be slightly more expensive but it works better. The more layers you have between the camera lens and the adapter, the more vignetting you get (dark corners). Check eBay for the Raynox adapter DCR-6600PRO (it's mine...I'm done using it. Awesome piece of glass. I obtained great results with it on my H1. The adapter to fit the H1 is also included in the auction).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:48 AM   #7

About colors: if you set the Color Mode of the ZS1 to Vivid you will get pretty good and saturated colors.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
About colors: if you set the Color Mode of the ZS1 to Vivid you will get pretty good and saturated colors.
True, but I also take a lot of indoor pictures, so if the ZS1 can't do that well I'd rather go with the H20. I was actually playing around with the H20 yesterday, and I was pretty impressed by it so far(need to get a memory card before I can do anything else). I especially like how you can adjust the flash. The default setting is way too high.

WG
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:55 AM   #9

WeirdG-

By using the Sony Lens adaptor shown in the attached photo you could attach either a Raynox or Sony Supplementary lens to the Sony H-20 camera. The Sony Supplementary lens will bring the wide angle to 28mm. I have not checked Raynox, but the info will be available right on their website.

IMO, it would be easier and about the same amount of money to equip the ZS-1 with a sufficiently powerful enough slave flash like the DigiSlave-3000 to enhance its indoor image quality. I do not believe that any attachable supplementary lens will get the H-20 lens down to and equal with the 25mm wide angle of the ZS-1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
WeirdG-

By using the Sony Lens adaptor shown in the attached photo you could attach either a Raynox or Sony Supplementary lens to the Sony H-20 camera. The Sony Supplementary lens will bring the wide angle to 28mm. I have not checked Raynox, but the info will be available right on their website.

IMO, it would be easier and about the same amount of money to equip the ZS-1 with a sufficiently powerful enough slave flash like the DigiSlave-3000 to enhance its indoor image quality. I do not believe that any attachable supplementary lens will get the H-20 lens down to and equal with the 25mm wide angle of the ZS-1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the info mtclimber and Tullio. After reading some reviews regarding the Sony lens adapter, I'll prolly forget about getting the wide angle lens. Some users have said the adapter is very easy to break, and you can't use the flash if you attach it.

WG