Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:21 PM   #11

“So, if you didn't change the distance to subject and you dropped the ambient light levels by a full exposure the flash has to output more power to expose the subject properly.“

I was limiting my reply to the OP’s recent store test with the H20 and to the Auto Flash setting on the F70EXR. Since the OP was testing a camera in a store (with the camera attached to a power cord), it is unlikely there was any reduction in ambient light levels during his test. Therefore, the only variable in flash recycle time would have been the distance to the subject, if there was one (unless of course, he manually adjusted exposure settings for his flash recycle time test, which he didn’t say he did).

The F70EXR’s “Intelligent Flash” jacks the ISO up to keep the recycle time down to around 3 seconds, which is why I suggested he consider this model (ref. his desire for shorter flash recycle times). Personally, I would disable the auto ISO function, set my ISO manually, and live with the slightly longer recycle times, but that’s just me.

My suggestion to the OP that he consider the F70EXR was only a suggestion. I am not recommending the F70EXR, nor am I claiming that it is a great camera, so you don’t have to apologize for not liking it, Sarah. My suggestion was in response to the OP’s stringent criteria for a camera. And I believe that my suggestion meets all of his criteria, except for manual focus, as I previously stated, and whatever a good grip means, but that’s his call.

Do you have a camera in mind that meets all of the OP’s requirements, John?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:26 PM   #12

Thanks, Rinnie-

No offence intended concerning the Fuji F-70EXR. It just was not my cup of tea. And that is OK. It was probably just me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:00 PM   #13

Sarah,

If everyone liked the same things, there would only be one camera, and none of us would be here right now.

I'm certainly not offended in the least.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:02 PM   #14

Thanks, Rinnie!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:21 AM   #15

Default Sony h20 it is!

Initailly my flash testing consisted of short range, nearly dark conditions (inside of the cabinet below the display). The recycle time was long, so I ended up going to another store that had the camera out and on battery power. It worked great! Plus the clerk actually knew what he was talking about, which was nice.

Thank you all for the advice, I always learn so much every day I come on here!

Merry Christmas
wildlifeben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post

I was limiting my reply to the OPís recent store test with the H20 and to the Auto Flash setting on the F70EXR. Since the OP was testing a camera in a store (with the camera attached to a power cord), it is unlikely there was any reduction in ambient light levels during his test. Therefore, the only variable in flash recycle time would have been the distance to the subject,
Rinnie - the OP never suggested recycle times were changing - they were consistently long. My point was long recycle times can be a result of low ambient light levels. Which, it turns out, was the case for the OP - light levels were low and distance was short. That was the reason I made my post. Recycle time, it appears, WAS likely affected by low ambient light. So, the OP's specific situation of long recycle times had THREE possible variables contributing:
1) Power source as had been discussed.
2) Distance to subject - which you mentioned
3) Ambient light levels - which my post adressed

Hope that clears up the confusion.
Wildlifeben - glad you settled on the H20 being the right camera for you! Good luck and have fun with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:28 PM   #17

Just a tip for shortening the flash recycle time: if you're using a camera that takes regular AA batteries, use NiMH instead of Alkaline. The NiMH are able to supply a larger current to the capacitor and thus charge it faster.
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:21 PM   #18

RobertDavis-

The camera the OP is considering uses a proprietary battery. And did you know that you can provide a measurably higher current to the flash capacitor by using NiZN batteries. The NiZN batteries out put 1.6 volt versus the 1.2 volt out put of NiMH batteries.

Sarah Joyce