Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Fuji F200EXR?

I have a Sony DSC-T70 used primarily for indoor shots of the kids. The pictures are frequently blurry, so I'm looking for another camera. I was leaning towards the Fuji F200EXR because it has the bigger CCD, but noticed it does not have optical stabilization. Which feature is more important to resolve blurry indoor pictures? Any suggestions for a compact camera?
biooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:37 PM   #2

biooya-

Welcome to the Forum. We're Glad you dropped by.

The complexity of the Fuji F-200EXR is amazing and complicated. There are many, many decisions brought on by the complexity of the new EXR system. It would be a good choice for an advanced photographer, but I would really hesitate to recommend it to a less experience photographer.

The Canon S-90 or the Canon G-11 are excellent cameras that have full image stabilization and are far easier to use and get great photos.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3

"I was leaning towards the Fuji F200EXR because it has the bigger CCD, but noticed it does not have optical stabilization."

According to Fuji, the F200EXR has CCD-Shift Image Stabilization.

"Which feature is more important to resolve blurry indoor pictures?"

It depends on why your pictures are blurry - post a couple here with EXIF data intact, and maybe we can tell you why your pictures are blurry.

"Any suggestions for a compact camera?"

Either the F200EXR or the F100fd should both be considerably better in existing light situations than your current camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:53 AM   #4

Hello,

Just wanted to intro myself. My name is Paul Woodall, Marketing Manager for Fujifilm here in Canada.

Here to help answer any questions and I will try not to be too biased in my answers!

My own comments on the EXR "complexity" issue. As with most cameras, it can be as simple or as complicated as you like. For a beginner, if you select EXR Auto mode, the camera will detect both the lighting and scene modes for you. If you are a little more advanced and know your lighting conditions, you can choose between the 3 EXR modes - High Sensivity for low light, Wide Dynamic Range for bright scenes or High Resolution for detailed images.

Thought that would help clarify a little for your readers.

Paul
FUJI - Paul Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5

FUJI-Paul Woodall-

Many thanks, Paul for your post. Welcome to the Forum.We are pleased that you dropped by.

As I mentioned previously, the F-70 EXR and the F-200EXR cameras definitely do have a following due to their many advanced features. However, for a "newbie" or beginning photographer the EXR cameras, at least at first glance, appear quite/rather complex. Has or will Fuji do anything to get the newbies over that "initial learning curve" hump?

Most serious "newbies," at some point want the potential to get beyond the Auto Mode on these cameras. They are surely capable cameras , there is no doubt about that, but to the new purchaser, with little experience, when either of these two cameras are unpacked for first time use, we have seen many new purchasers put off by the multitude of choices that are presented to the in the User Manual. Many, after the first couple of days, are disappointed that they cannot quickly grasp even the basics and relate it to what they already know about photography.

I have seen new users say something like, "I am usually pretty good with digital cameras, but this Fuji F-70EXR has me totally confused." That is unfortunate, as inevitably, the camera is returned to the seller. Seemingly, a small learning boost, or graphic might be able to see the learning curve off to a much better beginning.

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance. Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6

Hi Sarah,

Completely agree that the F70 and F200 at first glance appear quite complex. I probably would suggest most other cameras are the same and that most features probably don't get used.

I don't want to come across as "Too Marketing" but in Canada we created a set of videos that can help consumers understand our cameras better and some overall photo tips. They are avail on youtube for anyone to see and we try to have videos for our entire line-up. We are just starting to promote now.

Your readers can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/fujiguys#p/u/12/m8-_WSrkbzk

Would like to hear any thoughts you might have.

Cheers

Paul
FUJI - Paul Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:35 AM   #7

Good Morning, Paul-

The Fuji Guys is an excellent series. Greg and Billy do a good job. I will work my way through the whole series. Thus far, I have seen the F-70 box opening only. It seems to be an excellent approach. Thanks for the link.

Have a great day, and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I don't think it is about being a good photographer to use an EXR but more someone who likes/understands technology. Using the EXR Auto mode would make it no more complex than anything else.

Also being technically clever with cameras doesn't mean that someone will get a good photo. I've seen many people who know about cameras but still can't get a good photo out of them.

Biooya, to better answer your question what situations are you having the problems in. As has been suggested do you have some samples? Then when you have the camera learning how to use it will help but also learning how to compose a photo etc will make huge differences.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote