Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:35 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5000 Vs Canon EOS T1i

I am buying my first DSLR and I need your suggestion/advice on deciding between Niko
n D5000 and Canon EOS T1i. The more I research about these cameras and the differences between these cameras the more confused I getů and I end up convincing myself that I should go for more advanced versions when I read the disadvantages of one over the other.

I have used point and shoot all my life and I mostly take travel pictures (I travel a lot), pictures during birthdays and parties. I would like your opinion on which one is a better camera both in terms of quality and ease of use for beginners.

I greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
Thank you all.
ukrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Really the differences between the d5000 and the t1i are quite negligible. They are both highly capable cameras, and coming from P&S there is no reason you would need a more advanced model over either camera.

The image quality difference between the 2 is really so small that you would never even notice the difference.

My advice would be to head down to the local camera store. Test both out, and pick the one that fits best in your hand and who's menus and button layout you are most comfortable with.

You can't go wrong either way.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3

I agree with Hard80. Go out and play around with each. You may not think about it, but camera ergo is very important.

If you are worry that one take better pictures, I would bring a SD card with you when you go. Take picture of the same thing with each camera. Then go home and look at the photos on you computer, and see which one you perfer. As there is difference that each one has. I did this before I made my decision between 7 different camera. And I help me pick the one I have.

I would not think about moving up to the next level camera. As both these camera uses pretty much the same sensor as their next level brother. The d5000 uses the one for the D90, the t1i use the one from the 50d. And they match their bigger brothers in photo quality.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Although the Nikon D-5000 is a very capable camera indeed, however, it does not have full access to the entire Nikon lens line, as it uses primarily the AF-S lens series lenses only.

If you desire broader access to the large line of Nikon lenses, the D-90 has a few more features and a better LCD. The 12 mp of resolution is great for me. The Canon T-1 has 15mp and again access to the wide spectrum of Canon Lenses.

The choice you are making is essentially a system decision, as you might change camera bodies, but you will retain your lens choices and use them on your new camera body.

In the same performance niche you will also find the Olympus E-620 DSLR camera. It is a direct competitor to the Nikon D-90 and the Canon T-1 or 50D. i also have the E-620, a really full featured DSLR camera, with access to the great Olympus lens line.
What I like about the E-620 is its very small form factor both on the camera body and the lenses due to its use of the 4/3 image format.

Shoturtle is also a Olympus E-620 fan and we often discuss the high quality of the Olympus lenses.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5

I am in compete agreement with Sarah,

The E620 is a great camera, even if it did not have the better price point then the canon t1i or d5000. It would give them a serious run for their money. As it impress me so much that it became my second choice. The swing vote between the two was that I had canon lenses, so I would have less of a system investment. But if I did not have the eos system, it would have been a really difficult choice. I would give the e620 a serious look. Out the box the olympus gives you the best kit lenses of any brand.

The D5000's inability to use the full nikon line up hurts it when competing against the T1i. That was one of the early reason that the d5000 was eliminated from you list. If I were to go Full Format ever again, I would have to reinvest into another system. If you were serious considering the nikon, the D90 would be the better choice. But it is physically a much larger camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6

thank you all guys...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:42 AM   #7

My wife would tell you to buy Nikon because Ashton Kutcher is cute and he promotes the Nikon brand.

I'm a Canon guy. One of the reasons I went with Canon is because it is my belief that Canon lenses are less expensive than comparable Nikon Lenses. Some would argue that the Nikon lenses are better than Canon. That may be true, but I'm not sure I am capable of telling the difference between the two.

So I went with Canon because I believe that dollar for dollar comparable Nikon and Canon Camera are just about dead even in a vast majority of aspects. Canon best lenses are maybe 10% less expensive than their Nikon counterpart.

Hopefully some of the more experienced photographers will see this post and add to it.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8

faithfulpastor-

No offence intended, but if that adage works for you. That is great. Obviously, we are all affected by external stimuli. As far as image quality goes the D-5000 and the canon T-1 are about evenly matched. As I noted previously, the Nikon D-5000 only has access to the AF-S lens in the Nilon lens line-up.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I personally would go with the T1i due to less limitations on lenses than the Nikon. I'm not a huge fan of the 4/3 system as I like shoot creative getting shallow depth of field shots which is harder with the smaller system than with APS-C which is used by Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax.

The lenses for the Oly cameras might be good but the system is still quite niche, if you go with Nikon or Canon you are likely to have friends who share the system which can be a big help. I have many friends who borrow quite a bit of my kit if they have certain needs. Also, there is a much bigger 2nd hand market for Canon and Nikon lenses.

You say that you've found limitations in the D5000 and T1i that are making you think of looking at higher end cameras, what are the features you are concerned about?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:03 PM   #10

Thank you all guys. I finally went with Canon T1i.