Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:41 AM   #1

Default looking for new P&S camera

I'm looking to replace our Canon SD700 with something with more zoom, and possibly to use with Eye-fi SDHC card (have one I can't return...).

I'm trying out the Panasonic ZS3, love the zoom and lcd, getting use to the controls, but the battery seems to be shot lived, i haven't found a spare yet (still in return period) and today my wife used it but the pictures were kinda crap - dark or the flash only lighting up close objects - while the video looked good (the button for video is nice). It was in a school gym with lots of light (for indoors). My brother just got a Sony H20 and likes it a lot, but I haven't seen many pictures from it, and it used a different card format (he had a previous sony cam).

My budget is $250 to 350, I'd like a longer zoom than we had, at least 5ish. We don't really need manual controls, as my wife won't use them probably. We'll mostly be taking pictures of the kids - either at school events or just starting hockey, and printing the photos for albums/family. Some travel photos too.

I've looked at the Canon SD970 in person - it's a possibility, the SD960 not so much - don't like the extra wide (wasted) screen and controls.

Thanks,
Mike
xj-boonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2

Hi there, Mike-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

While the ZS-3 is a really good camera when shooting outdoors. Your wife discovered its real flaw. It has a very tiny and very under powered built-in flash unit. So its indoor image quality is miserable. I know I own a ZS-1. The ZD-1 has the same problem as well.

Well, the work around is to use a slave flash like the DigiSlave-3000 (cost around $120) It also adds bulk to your kit to carry around which sort of defeats the purpose of a compact-zoom type camera. But Lordy, it cures that indoor flash problem big time.

Your brother has the real answer, the Sony H-20. the Sony H-20 has the best automatic mode in the class, your wife would probably like that, the best built-in flash unit in the class with flash range up to 23 feet, that will save those indoor photos, it takes HD video and you can zoom while filming, but it does not have a wide angle position on the zoom.

Other cameras in the class don't offer much more: the Canon SX-200 has HD video, but cannot zoom while filming. So you either have to supercharge the ZS-3 with a slave flash or go with the Sony H-20. That's my analysis.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. How would the DigiSlave-3000 mount to the camera?

Our current camera is a Canon SD700IS, which only starts out at 35mm, so the Sony starting out at 38mm wouldn't be that different (I think). I think the only thing I don't like about the Sony is the card format...

I don't know if we'd use zooming while filming, but it looks (on specs) like the SX-200 flash isn't much better - is that accurate?

Also, should I even consider the Canon SD970?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4

Hi there, Mike-

I have attached a photo of the DigiSlave 3000 mounted with a Panasonic FZ-28 camera.

Please keep in mind that while the Canon SX-200 can shoot HD video, it cannot zoom while filming. The other factor that bug users is that whenever, you power-up the Canon SX-200, the built-in flash unit pops up whether you need it or not.

At least for me, the card format for the Sony H-20 is no big deal at all. The H-20 is the better camera and the card format means that you buy a new card. That's pretty much what you expect when you purchase a new camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Mike-

I have attached a photo of the DigiSlave 3000 mounted with a Panasonic FZ-28 camera.
- snip -
I don't see the photo....
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:18 PM   #6

It did not post the first time. I just re-did it and it is working fine now.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the pic - that does kinda ruin the pocketability of the camera!

I think I'm going to go with the H20 - what accessories would you suggest?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:31 AM   #8

Mike-

Just the Memory Stick Pro Duo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:53 PM   #9

Any thoughts on the Nikon L100?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:32 PM   #10

Hi there Mike-

The Nikon L-100 has not received very good reviews. Personally I would steer clear of it.

Sarah Joyce