Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:40 PM   #1

Default I almost hate buying a new camera

So I currently have a fuji s5200. You know I love this camera. But my Daughter wants it. When I bought it 4 years ago, I almost bought a DSLR at the time, because of well, the picture quality. Decided on the fuji because we were going to Alaska, and it offered everything i needed, in a much, much smaller package. So i have been looking at the bridge (ultrazoom, whatever) cameras, and quit frankly, one of the things I really like is standard AA batteries. most of the bridge cameras worth anything from the reviews, now all use propriety batteries. no more being able to walk into store to replenish my battery supply in a pinch. Then there is the whole DSLR issue. Been looking at used Sony A200's and Pentax K200D (in my budget range) cameras. Sony seems like a slighter nicer camera, but doesn't have AA batteries, the Pentax seems good also, but lenses seem more for some reason. Than there is the fuji S200EXR sitting out there also. If that had AA batteries, I would probably go for it. Canon and Nikon lenses are rather pricey also, and olympus DSLR's don't seem to measure up. So I keep going back and forth, and checking other cameras I see and hear about. Maybe I'm just nuts. What yall think? Am I just making to much a deal out of it? maybe I should tell my daughter to forget it, I'm keep'n the fuji. But darn those DSLR's are nice.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:06 PM   #2

Proprietary batteries are not cheap...no question, but a single charge will well outlast how long AA cells would last, and keeping a second charged battery in your bag will mean never having to worry for a long time.

As far as "measuring up", any DSLR, Olympus included, will run image quality circles around your current camera, so assuming you keep the Fuji, compared to ANY DSLR that's the worst choice, but if the size convenience is paramount to you, there's always the option of buying your daughter a used Fuji s5200.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:28 PM   #3

IDK if size is that big an issue now.
it was when I bought the fuji, but for a variety of reasons, I don't think it is near an issue today.
but the option of taking video without hauling my video cam along, that might be some thing worth considering.
I was reading another post that recommended the oly 620 with a 18-200 zoom, about the same size as a bridge camera. That lens might make it easier to carry. But do Oly's offer decent other lens on the 4/3rds format?
Like i would like to have some prime lenses for special shooting, things like that. Not really "carry around" but have them for those special occasions.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post
IDK if size is that big an issue now.
it was when I bought the fuji, but for a variety of reasons, I don't think it is near an issue today.
but the option of taking video without hauling my video cam along, that might be some thing worth considering.
I was reading another post that recommended the oly 620 with a 18-200 zoom, about the same size as a bridge camera. That lens might make it easier to carry. But do Oly's offer decent other lens on the 4/3rds format?
Like i would like to have some prime lenses for special shooting, things like that. Not really "carry around" but have them for those special occasions.
Oly glass is some of the best glass around. I'm not just saying that because I own one (well, two). Check these out:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e620.html

http://www.the-meissners.org/camera.html
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:59 PM   #5

fofa-

I think that stepping up to the Olympus E-620 would be a huge improvement in image quality without much of an increase in the way of physical size. The two Olympus "kit" lenses, the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm will give you 28mm to 300mm in 35mm film terms. Those lenses are priced at the consumer level, below $200 each and professional reviews has shown them to actually
be superior to their Nikon and Canon counterpart lenses.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote