Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:59 PM   #1

Default view finder in a compac camera

I can't seam to find any pocket camera with a view finder other than canon. I have a canon a590 & it is idea for what I want/need, view finder, AA batteries, good feature set, good size for carrying, anything smaller is hard for me to handle steadily, only problem with the a590 is it is undependable, been back to canon 2 x's under warranty & no resolution.
This is my 3rd canon failure, 100% failure rate with canons, while the other 7 digital cameras I have bought since the 1st 1.3mp in 99 all still work like new, so no more canon for me.
I am unable to use a display only camera in bright sun & this spring I hope to spend 4-6 weeks in china & will take a bridge camera but want a compact size to carry also, & I need it to be useable in the bright parts of the day.

So any suggestion appreciated.

New to this forum but found it to be a great resource, so my thanks to all who share their experience & expertise.

captinharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:05 PM   #2

captinharry-

I guess the logical question to ask is how do you respond to EVF's? Also can I presume you are looking for a compact-zoom format, as before?

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:49 PM   #3

I'm not sure I understand the question but I have no trouble with the viewfinder in sun but the display is a problem for me with all cameras in the sun. I need some zoom 3x is Ok but could use more, will have a bridge camera so the pocket is for when the larger camera is inapropriate & of couse a spare
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4

capt,

I can't think of a single current model, pocket able compact (with a viewfinder), that is not a Canon. You can still buy some recently discontinued models on Amazon, like the Sony 'W' series...W170, W200, W300, and they're not bad little cameras. Forget the more recent W290 - it doesn't have a viewfinder.

Good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:21 AM   #5

Since there are so few small carry cameras with view finders is there any solution to using the display in bright sun, I did see at a recient street fair some one that constructed a cardboard hood for the display but it looked bad & would not be practical for my needs. Have several friends with sx120s & they complain of the same problem. I have had such bad luck with canon that I am reluctant to buy the a1100 which would be the best choice if it would work & last a few years.
Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6

capt,

Short of some sort of LCD hood as you described, I can't think of a sure fire cure. Some cameras can gain up their LCD displays, but I don't know which ones, and if that would be a solution to your bright sun visibility issues - I kind of doubt it. I understand your dissatisfaction with Canon, and I would probably react the same way...probably a lot sooner than you did. Have you tried the Sony's? I've seen some shots taken with the W170, and they were pretty good.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:23 AM   #7

Captinharry-

The attached photo shows a folding metal hood made by www.delkin.com that shades the LCD on three sides. My husband uses the Delkin hood and he is quite pleased with it. The hood can be orsered directly from www.delkin.com and it may solve your dilemma.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 19, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8

the hood is great, fold it up & into pocket, thanks for the info & link, opens up a lot of possibilities in what to buy next.
Have never tryed Sony, my other cameras are nikon, fuji, olympus, have had the best luck with fuji, have a s700 with over 12000 clicks & a s1500 going to pass 5000 before the holidays or over.
Thanks for all the help