Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:12 AM   #11
Administrator

I think he means one of the film models. Canon has made an EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a., EOS 500) and EOS Rebel XS N (a.k.a., EOS 3000N) in their 35mm SLR models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:55 AM   #12

Yup, it is a 35mm camera, with maybe 10 rolls run through it. I have thought about buying a better lens and using it, but since I am such a terrible photographer, I need the lcd to make sure I got the shot before I move on.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:11 AM   #13

Ok, amazon gold box has the newer XS (digital) for $409 right now, i know it is a very basic lower end DSLR but it in the range I wanted to pay, should I jump? I know I would have to upgrade the lens but I could do that a little later.

Brew
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:03 AM   #14

The Canon XS doesn't have the high ISO capability that you will probably need when shooting indoors with a kit lens. I don't think it will work well for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:28 AM   #15

TS

With you max budget of 1000 dollars, you can get a very good camera with 2 lenses. The canon t1i comes with a 18-55mm and 55-250mm for 900 on all the major camera site, adorama, bh and amazon. This camera is a good back up pro camera, so it will be able to serve all your needs. This is the top of the line rebel currently.

There is also good deals on the one step down from the canon t1i, the canon xsi. It is a very cable camera. And if you are using it for work, it will give you bit more resolution then the XS. So if you need to crop in, you can do more. It is selling for 750 for the same 2 lenses for the t1i. The xsi has more capability the the XS, better low light performance is just one.

Canon seems to packaging the XS with the 18-55mm is lens with the 75-300mm lens with the XS for 680. The 75-300mm is not as good of a lens then the 55-250mm. I would go with the t1i or xsi package over the xs. The XSi is a 80 dollar difference, for a better lens.

Also, the old film rebel lenses will work with all these bodies. I think that canon package a ef 50mm f1.8 MKII with it. This lens is an excellent lens and is worth using with any new canon you get. And pretty much any old lens from the rebel will work on the digital canon rebel line.

I would avoid the Nikon because if you want a model what can accept all nikon lenses, it will exceed your 1k budget, as the D90 is 1200-1500 dollars, and they are always comparing the t1i to the D90 while the T1i competes with the smaller nikon D5000 in the same price range of 900 dollars.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #16

I think that you need a camera body that can perform well at higher ISO settings, a large aperture standard zoom lens, and image stabilization. I think that, for what you want to do, it will take a while to understand the nuances of flash (i.e.: on camera direct flash will cause close objects to be overexposed and more distant objects to be underexposed, bounced flash will create shadows where you didn't expect them). Also, a large aprture standard zoom, instead of a kit lens, will make it a lot easier to compose your shot in dimly lit rooms. Interior lighting can be very complicated, and getting it right without a flash is a lot easier than getting it right with a flash. So a large aperture lens on a camera that can use high ISO settings, combined with image stabilization, would be your best choice.

The Canon T1i is an excellent camera, but a stabilized standard zoom lens for it would be quite expensive.

That's why I think your best choice would be a Tamron 17-50/2.8 on a Pentax K-x or Sony A500.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:15 PM   #17

Hi Brew,

I've read your requirements and feel that you would be wasting your money buying another camera. You have a great camera in the Canon XS that is capable of taking amazing pictures.

What you need is a good quality lens that will give the results you need. I don't know how wide you need to go but like youself I take photos of interiors and exteriors of properties. I use the new Canon EF-S 15 - 85 IS. I own the XS (1000D) & the T1i (500D) and find the results superb on either body. The bonus side to this lens is that it is a good quality all purpose zoom that you can leave on your camera. Down side is the cost. 500 + .

If you need to go wider then listen to other people on this thread. But don't waste your money on a new camera. Just get a decent lens. Pete.

Last edited by pcllng; Dec 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
pcllng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:17 PM   #18
Super Moderator

the OP has the older film rebel. not the 1000d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcllng View Post
Hi Brew,

I've read your requirements and feel that you would be wasting your money buying another camera. You have a great camera in the Canon XS that is capable of taking amazing pictures.

What you need is a good quality lens that will give the results you need. I don't know how wide you need to go but like youself I take photos of interiors and exteriors of properties. I use the new Canon EF-S 15 - 85 IS. I own the XS (1000D) & the TSi (500D) and find the results superb on either body. The bonus side to this lens is that it is a good quality all purpose zoom that you can leave on your camera. Down side is the cost. 500 + .

If you need to go wider then listen to other people on this thread. But don't waste your money on a new camera. Just get a decent lens. Pete.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the OP has the older film rebel. not the 1000d

Yup, I have the older 35mm version.

BUT, I also have the newer Digital XS on the way. I am not sure if I will keep it or not, but I just couldn't pass on the $400 price. I just figured I had a few lenses already for it, I don't need anything fancy, most of the pics will be for putting on a website too.

If I decide to keep it, the price will allow me to buy a grip, better lens maybe and a descent flash. With it being christmas and obviously business isn't as good as i would like (thus the need for a camera to start advertising more) I didn't want to get carried away.

Brew