Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:48 AM   #1

Default Same old question, reasonably prices DSLR

I am a contractor and would like to start taking more/better pics of my work. I have heard that a point and shoot type camera will just not get the pictures I am looking for, thus I am looking for a DSLR.

I would kinda like to stick to Nikon or canon, I do have an old Rebel XS with a cheaper zoom lens, so if canon is the best bet, fine, but I don't think the lenses I have are worth pushing me to canon if that isn't the best bet.

My biggest problem is there are so many new camera's the last few years, I don't even know where to look. The absolute MAX I can pay right now would be about $1000. If I could cut that in half or even less, that would be best, even I have to go used.

So, I need,

very good indoor pics,
wide angle lens capability,
good price,

That's about it really.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:48 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd probably look at the T1i (500D) if budget permits. You can get a kit including the camera body with an 18-55mm lens on it for around $749 now.

That would give you approximately the same angle of view range that you'd have using a 29-88mm lens on a 35mm camera. Because of the smaller APS-C size sensors used in this type of dSLR body, your lenses will appear to be longer (narrower angle of view) for a given focal length lens. Multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see how they compare.

You could also use the lenses you have for your Rebel XS (a.k.a., 3000N if you mean the latest film camera version of it). If you have something like a 28-80mm lens on it, it would behave more like a 45-128mm lens from an angle of view perspective when used on a Canon dSLR model like the T1i (using an APS-C size sensor).

In a lower priced kit, I'd look at the XS (1000D) and XSi (450D). But, you'll have higher available ISO speeds if you move up to the T1i (500D) instead.

I'd also consider getting something like a Canon 430 EX II flash to use if you're shooting interior work.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i would agree, the t1i is a solid choice.

if you need an ultrawide perspective (i don't know not knowing exactly your intentions) you could drop down to the XS/XSi and pick up a reasonably priced ultrawide such as the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 or tokina 12-24 f4. if you are looking for something that can get a picture of the whole room you are working on, or the entire building from relatively closer proximity. again, not sure if you need to go to ultrawide.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:20 PM   #4

brew-

Why is it that you do not feel that a P+S camera could do the job? And can you be more specific about the wide angle, please. I would think that something around 28mm would be perfect for you. The Canon G-11 has 28mm and really good image quality all in a nice compact package. It has a hot shoe that can easy take the very small and convenient EX-270 flash and you would be set, without a lot of bulk. Attached is a photo showing what 28mm looks like.

Just a thought.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:23 PM   #5

Ultrawide would rule out the use of flash, so, for the long shutter speeds, the lens should be fast and the camera should have a high ISO capability and/or the lens and/or camera should be stabilized.

But a dSLR plus an ultrawide lens would put the OP overbudget.

I think the OP is limited to the kit lens on whatever dSLR he picks, so that should limit his choice to the Canon T1i, the Pentax K-X, and the Sony A500/A550. The Canon lens is better, but the Pentax and Sony are stabilized if the OP wants an ultrawide lens later.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:57 PM   #6

I know you said you want to stick to Canon or Nikon, but I would suggest trying out the new Pentax KX.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips, I will look in to them. Most of my pictures are interior shots of finished basements, or kitchens or stuff like that. I don't think I need ULTRA wide angle, but something that can get a lot in to the frame.

Actually the thoughts of not buying a P&S camera come in from recommendations of others in the trade, the really grainy indoor pics I have seen from other small camera's (my wife's panny lumix is one), and the fact I would just like a nicer camera.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:44 PM   #8

I think the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 on a stabilized body (like one from Pentax or Sony) would do very well. This is a shot I took using that lens on a Konica Minolta 5D, the precurser of the Sony dSLRs:
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:21 PM   #9

Nice photo, TCav

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
I do have an old Rebel XS with a cheaper zoom lens, so if canon is the best bet, fine, but I don't think the lenses I have are worth pushing me to canon if that isn't the best bet.

Brew
You don't need a camera. You just need a lens. If the XS was equipped with the non-IS 18-55, that thing is crap. Makes a decent paperweight though.

Look at something like a Sigma 10-20 and a better standard zoom, blow the dust off the XS and start taking pics.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote