Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
... Husband says he switched to P in raw mode but then I can't get the pics off the camera. ...
I presume you're using a Windows computer. That's an unfortunate consequence of Microsoft trying to make one thing easier, and as a result, they make other things harder.

When you connect the camera to the computer, Windows goes looking for JPEG files and transfers them to the computer. Since Windows doesn't understand what RAW files are, it doesn't transfer them, and it doesn't give you a method to transfer them. You need to use a different method to get the images to the computer that doesn't involve the camera. You can remove the card fromthe camera and insert it into a card reader. Then the card will appear as just another disk to Windows. Then you can copy the RAW files from the card to your hard disk, just like you copy files from your hard disk to a CD or a flash drive. Then you can use them in whatever program you want.

BTW, the same thing will happen with any other camera that can capture RAW images. It's not unique to your FZ-28.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:12 PM   #12

I think I'm going to try the Sony. Even though I hate to go back to their memory sticks, we always had good pictures.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:14 PM   #13
Super Moderator

The FZ-28 is a fine camera, and switching to a lower end sony is not going to improve things.

I think as Mark has mentioned, you need to use your flash in low light situations. Which on the FZ-28 you have to manually pop up. its the little button to the left of the viewfinder I believe (if I remembering my sisters FZ-18 correctly)

My sister has the previous model comparable to yours, and it takes wonderful pictures, both outdoor, and indoor with flash.

I think you and your husband's problems lie not in the camera, but in just not spending enough time reading the manual and playing with the camera. Your comments on switching to RAW mode and being unable to get the pictures out supports this.

So get your camera out of RAW mode (at least until you understand what it is and what is required to process it), find your flash pop-up button and use it when needed.

Getting a new camera, especially one that is of lower quality, will not help you.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:38 PM   #14

<<So get your camera out of RAW mode (at least until you understand what it is and what is required to process it), find your flash pop-up button and use it when needed. >>

Um, we did this and my pictures, indoors, do not come out good. I know it is us, we have read the manual, it is more difficult to use, for us, than our previous cameras, so I'll go with the lower quality camera if it means better pics for our family, thanks
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:47 PM   #15

To successfully shoot indoors with the FZ28, the best thing is to create a personal setting so you know you'll always get the settings right. The FZ28 offers 4 custom modes (C1, C21, C22 and C23). Pick one. I have my indoor setting configured as follows:

MODE = P
ISO = 400
Flash = FORCED ON
Flash compensation = +0.7
WB = set to flash

The ISO 400 will give you more depth in terms of flash light and the WB set to flash will eliminate problems related to indoor lighting. Flash forced on is also a must because sometimes the camera thinks that there is plenty of light and if it's set to AUTO flash, the flash may not fire and the image will be dark. Hope this helps.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:09 PM   #16

"...so I'll go with the lower quality camera if it means better pics for our family, thanks..."

???

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:24 PM   #17

A lower quality camera can no possibly produce better quality images, specially indoors. You will run into limitations of one type or another. For instance, you may be better of with the Sony because it has a more powerful flash but you will find that you can't fit everybody in the picture because its lens is not wide enough. Each brand/model has its pros and cons.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
To successfully shoot indoors with the FZ28, the best thing is to create a personal setting so you know you'll always get the settings right. The FZ28 offers 4 custom modes (C1, C21, C22 and C23). Pick one. I have my indoor setting configured as follows:

MODE = P
ISO = 400
Flash = FORCED ON
Flash compensation = +0.7
WB = set to flash

The ISO 400 will give you more depth in terms of flash light and the WB set to flash will eliminate problems related to indoor lighting. Flash forced on is also a must because sometimes the camera thinks that there is plenty of light and if it's set to AUTO flash, the flash may not fire and the image will be dark. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll print this for my husband. We'll still play around with it as we'll still own this one along with the other one. My daughter also got a new digital camera for christmas, I think it's also a sony but a different model.

thanks again
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:11 PM   #19

Tullio, how Flash forced on is dealing with Red eye? Does it fire twice in Flash forced on when you make a portrait indoors? Thanks
SteveMI is offline   Reply With Quote