Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:43 AM   #1

Default Have Lumix Z28-doesn't take good indoor pics?

Is there a better alternative for better photos? I am an amateur with cameras but want good zoom and a very user friendly camera. tia for any thoughts
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2

Kelly-Marie-

Perhaps there was a typo in the title to your post: it says Lumix Z28. Do you perhaps mean the Panasonic FZ-28 camera? It sounds like you are having problems with your camera. Are you shooting in the "I-A" mode? What seem to be the problem?

We are here to help you out, so I would be pleased to sort out your problem. We just need additional information.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Kelly-Marie-

Perhaps there was a typo in the title to your post: it says Lumix Z28. Do you perhaps mean the Panasonic FZ-28 camera? It sounds like you are having problems with your camera. Are you shooting in the "I-A" mode? What seem to be the problem?

We are here to help you out, so I would be pleased to sort out your problem. We just need additional information.

Sarah Joyce
My husband said in that mode the pics come out crappy. I was looking at your review of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 and am thinking maybe that would be more user friendly.
Husband says he switched to P in raw mode but then I can't get the pics off the camera. I have had nothing but a difficult time with the fz28 and always end up frustrated. I previously had a Nikon Coolpix 8800 and prior to that a Sony cybershot dsc 717 which were MUCH more user friendly for me and took much better pics for me.
I am kind of desperate because I don't want my christmas pics to come out badly.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Oh yes, it is the Panasonic FZ-28 that we are not having luck with.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5

Kelly-Marie-

The Sony H-20 is a very dependable, easy to use camera. It would be very much like your Sony F-717 camera. I had a Sony F-717 as well.

The Sony H-20 has the best automatic mode in the class, as well as the best built-in flash unit in the class. It also shoots HD video and you can zoom while filming as well.

I own a H-20 as well as a DSLR camera, and I have found that the best settings for flash indoors is to use the P (for programed auto mode which works just like the auto mode), with the ISO set to Auto ISO. This gives you an effective flash range of up to 23 feet. So whenever you focus, the H-20 knows the distance from camera to subject and sets the ISO accordingly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I think before you start looking at a new camera it is good to get a better idea of what you are trying to shoot as I expect throwing money at the situation with something like the H20 isn't really going to fix it.

Do you have some samples of what you are getting in these situations?

The Pansonic has a really good lens, better than the one on the H20 so I can't see how you are going to see an improvement.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I think before you start looking at a new camera it is good to get a better idea of what you are trying to shoot as I expect throwing money at the situation with something like the H20 isn't really going to fix it.

Do you have some samples of what you are getting in these situations?

The Pansonic has a really good lens, better than the one on the H20 so I can't see how you are going to see an improvement.
In low light my pictures don't come out well at all. I get many blurry pics as well. It just may be that I need a more user friendly camera for someone without much experience.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to say that this is not a limitation of the camera but of the conditions if you are not using flash so there is nothing at all that you will gain with the H20. The only way to get better low light photos without flash is to get something that has a lens that lets much more light in.

Now possibly you need to increase the ISO settings which will give you a faster shutter speed and help get less blur as desired.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:30 AM   #9

We had no problems with our prior two cameras though, just this one.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:31 AM   #10

and the reviews I'm reading this sony was more user friendly right out of the box which is what we need.