Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Default Moving up from Canon Powershot A570 IS; don't want video.... Which to buy?

I have been a Canon Powershot user for two cameras. My present one, Powershot A570 IS has been pretty good for me, although I'd like more megapixels and the ability to get enlargements that are clearer.

I do not want or need video capabilities. I'd like to spend under $300.

I travel a lot, and I would like a camera that is not too bulky, that slips into a pocket, that takes very good indoor shots with no flash, and that perhaps has a lithium battery vs. rechargeables.

I am looking at Nikon and Canon.... any suggestions? Thanks.
TravelingMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2

TravelingMary-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

There are several choice that would meet your requirements. In the Canon line-up there is the SX-120, with 10X optical zoom and a very good built-in flash unit, selling for $199.00 and the SX-200 with 12X optical zoom, a good built-in flash unit and selling for around $285 to $295.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Thank you, Sarah. I've been looking at the SX 120, although it does seem a tad bulky, like not slipping into a pants pocket while traveling.

Can you recommend one with close to the same capabilities that is thinner? Remember, I don't want video, if that would help to thin things out... although I doubt this!

Thanks.
TravelingMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:04 PM   #4

TravelingMary-

It is not the Video capability that make the difference, it is the added space to shoehorn in the 10X optical zoom. I personally see that as a very fair trade-off.

I find the Canon SX-120 very easy to slip into my purse. If you desire something to fit into a jeans pocket, take a look at the Canon SD-1200, but it does not have the added zoom that I think you want.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote