Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:55 PM   #21

I would disagree about pro switch, they will only switch system if the advantage was substantial as the pro's have a huge investment in their current systems. If it is a nominal different it is not worth a switch from nikon to canon or what ever brand. That is one reason that their are pros shooting with the e-3, the do not find the advantage warrants the financial investment.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Take for example the pentax k-x has an iso equal to the t1i at 12800, that is better then the d5000. It will do a good job in low light and indoor sporting events.
On what basis do you make this statement? Do you yourself have any indoor sports shooting experience? Do you know anyone shooting Pentax who does? Would it surprise you to hear that the flagship Pentax model - the K-7 still doesn't perform as well as Canon or Nikon in the focus department? The K-x does not, by any reports, have a more advanced focus system than the K-7 does. So, I'm curious as to how you draw your conclusions as to how the k-x will perform. Upon what do you base your opinion that the focus system is up to the challenging task? High iso performance is part of it - but that doesn't do any good if you're getting out of focus images. So, on what are you basing your opinion that the K-x will do good in low light sports shooting? Point me to the images which show that to be the case.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:25 PM   #23

Actually yes, I have been shooting indoor tennis for years, I actually have yearly ticket to what is now the billy jean cup at msg or what it uses to be call the virginia slims championship, and I shoot the knick at msg under the lights form time to time. Also I have my pro friends that shoot canon and nikon. And the main reason they do not switch system is system when something new comes out is the cost, they average over 70k in equipment. They all have at least 3 digital bodies, and 2 film bodies plus the top of the line lenses. For them the system in a long term investment. There are tons of pro photographer in NYC.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:19 PM   #24

Stop pitting top of the line models against the something like k-x or even the t1i, it is not a valid argument. Pro models are way better, that is why they have a 3000-5000+ price tag. I am saying that the camera I check out were all in the same level. And they do perform pretty equally. Each has their strong points. So yes the k-x and t1i will preform quite close. No the K-X will not perform close to a 5dmkII let alone the 1dMKIII. But that is a no brainer.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:22 PM   #25

I presume you understand that shooting inside Madison Square Garden is different from shooting in the average high school or even college gymnasium. What may work for you in one venue may not work for someone else in another. You can't extrapolate your experience at MSG to what someone might encounter at a venue that doesn't have its own cable TV Channel.

And just because the Pentax K-x can go head to head with the Canon T1i in high ISO settings doesn't mean it can maintain focus on a moving subject.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:29 PM   #26

TCAV,

They are all pretty similar at the so call "entry level" dslr when it comes to their highest entry level, but since the k-x was not out when I was looking for my dslr, I did not take is out for couple of days of shooting. I can not say for sure. But I will not automatically discount it because it is not nikon or canon. It is kinda elitist. Form the reviews that have been popping up, the K-X is a very competent DSLR in its own rights.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
TCAV,

They are all pretty similar at the so call "entry level" .
for focus tracking I would definitely disagree with this statement. Intial focus is not the same as focus tracking. Especially not at low light levels. At no level in the hierarchy would I say "all are pretty similar".
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:32 PM   #28

In fact, I'll give you some examples. Here are some basketball photos from a 6 year old 20d. The t1i has better AF performance and better high ISO than the 20d. Show me some basketball shots from an entry level pentax that are as sharp and well focused for basketball shots:

or volleyball:

or gymnastics:

Again, the t1i has BETTER af and better IQ. I look forward to your indoor sports photos from entry level Pentax or Oly cameras with similar results. Lighting is around ISO 1600 f2.0 1/400 plu or minus 2/3 stop
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:39 PM   #29

It is good, I agree the t1i is the best "entry level" and most capable. But the K-X has been out a month, and unless you have shot the camera and have photos form it, we are just debating a one side topic.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:23 PM   #30

Since the Pentax K-x has only been out a month, and since its big brother the K7 doesn't seem to be very good shooting action in low light, why would you presume that the K-x would be?

No one is saying that the K-x isn't a good dSLR. What we're saying is that there are some things for which it wouldn't be a good choice, just like the Olympus E-620. That's not even debatable.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 23, 2009 at 7:25 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote