Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:28 AM   #31

Why would you presume it will not. Preconception. But the fact are that each new generation of electronic get more ability then the pervious one.

Yes the E620 is not as good as the t1i in low light, that is not the debate, but it does a respectable job if you need it to.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:18 PM   #32

No. The debate (if you want to call it that) is whether the camera's autofocus system is up to the task of shooting sports. This isn't something that any camera can do well, and if it's something that's important to a buyer, then they should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the cameras they are considering. It's not something that a manufacturer can just pull out of a hat, and even if they could, it would not make its debut in an entry level camera.

Canon's 5D MkII is better at it than their 50D, which is better at it than their T1i.

Nikon's D700 is better at it than their D300, which is better at it than their D5000.

Sony's A700 is better at it than their A330.

Olympus' E-3 is better at it than their E-620.

Why would you think that Pentax' K-x would be better at it than the K7?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:55 PM   #33

The point is that you generalized it point. And compare apples to oranges. As my point is that in the high end "entry level DSLR" they are all pretty close. From first hand knowledge of all the high end entry level, with the exception of the K-X. They are really close in performance, and if you look at the camparo of the different model listed on line and mags, they even prove that it is very close.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:52 PM   #34

I absolutely agree.

Except when it comes to shooting sports/action/wildlife.

Canon and Nikon outclass the others. And even Nikon's D3000 and D5000 don't do very well. And Sony's A700 is a viable choice. But nothing from Pentax or Olympus is up to the task. You won't find that in a magazine, or in an on-line review. No one has come up with a way to measure it objectively yet, but it's there.

Check the Sports & Action Photos forum to see what people use. Check the Wildlife Photos forum to see what people use for moving subjects. Check http://www.sportsshooter.com/ to see what people use.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:59 PM   #35

I have shot the olympus e620 in sports shot, and it does a decent job. That is fact. It my not be up there with the t1i, but it does a respectable job, but that can be said for pretty much all the sub 1000 dollar dslr when compare to the t1i.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:05 PM   #36

So, if the T1i sets the bar higher for sports/action/wildlife photography with an entry level dLSR, and someone wants to shoot sports, all other things being equal, which camera should they buy?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:53 PM   #37

Ergo is an important factor, some prefer the way one camera is set up over another. If you do not like the way the camera handles or set up, it is not the right camera for you. So there is no exact answer for your question.

In my decision, the 50d was my pick, and my wife like the e620. I almost went with the e620 if I had no canon lenses, because it is a really good camera. So the T1i was the compromise between the 50d and the e620. It is a bit heavier then what she would like, but I did not have to re-invest in a new lens system. So as you can see it is not all about the numbers. It comes down to the proper fitting camera for the shooter/shooters.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:56 PM   #38

So, if the T1i sets the bar higher for sports/action/wildlife photography with an entry level dLSR, and someone wants to shoot sports, all other things being equal, which camera should they buy?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:58 PM   #39

As I said, the one that fits your needs the best. Because you are trying for force an answer that does not exist. Because every shooter is different. It may be the t1i, or a d5000, or a e620, shoot it maybe the 5dmkII. Only the end user knows that answer.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
Any other opinions on the Pentax K-X? It sounds cheaper for a kit if it can be bought for $720 with two lenses.

Several of you have stated that the Canon and Nikon lines stand out for performance and ability to upgrade -- where does Pentax fit in this discussion.

Thanks again.
Sorry for the Hijack,

Like all pentax camera's all auto focus lenses made for pentax will work with the k-x. Pentax has a decent lens line up, and 3rd party lens makers has lenses for pentax.

I was mistaken, the pentax K-x has a iso that matches the t1i. I was looking at dslr with my brother, who is looking to move up from p&s also. We went to the shops together. And he really like the fit and feel of the pentax. And I played around with it, and it does perform quite well. I took my sd card out of my t1i and took some shots with it, and look at them on one of their mac's on the display floor, and the photos were quite good.

One thing that is not mention on the thread, is that the pentax is an easier transition from p&s to dslr, as pentax and olympus gives you allot of in camera option. Art filter, and edit menu's that the canon does not give you. This may be a consideration when shopping for your first dslr.

Either way, I would go to a shop, bring a sd card with you and take some shots of the same thing with each camera you are considering. Bring it home and see which one's imagine you prefer on you computer. Every one does shot a little differently.