Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Panasonic FZ35 versus Canon SX20 IS (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/163597-panasonic-fz35-versus-canon-sx20.html)

Dave1690 Dec 21, 2009 3:48 PM

Panasonic FZ35 versus Canon SX20 IS

I have recently decided to purchase one of the "super zoom" compact cameras. My wife and I do a lot of traveling and I want a camera that is reasonably compact and one that I don't have to bother with switching lenses - so therefore not a DSLR.

My choices have come down to two - the SX20 IS and the FZ35. I have read eleven reviews for these cameras - all from camera-related Internet sites. The reviewers seem to be split in their recommendations with Panasonic slightly ahead in image quality and Canon ahead in other features (e.g. lens hood attachment, articulated screen, ease of learning controls).

Then I found myself on the Steve's website and have been fascinated by the questions and answers relating to these cameras. The help provided by what appear to be some of the more seasoned contributors is wonderful. However, I was surprised that everyone favored the Panasonic - I had expected more balance given the Internet reviews I had read. This clearly makes my decision easier but it also makes me wonder if anyone likes the Canon.

mtclimber Dec 21, 2009 9:21 PM

Dave-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

I was a long time Canon super zoom user. I had the S-2, foolowed by the S-3, and the S-5. When the SX-10 came along I extensively used that for a long time. However, with the introduction of the Panasonic FZ-28, I had the chance to borrow a good friend's FZ-28 for the weekend. I was amazed with the Panasonic. All last year I shot the SX-10 side by side with the FZ-28. It was no contest. The FZ-28 had the best image quality and the better numerically high ISO images.

This year I purchased the FZ-35 without hesitation, and it has been a great experience.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce

Hards80 Dec 21, 2009 9:30 PM

I think the increased publicity of the FZ-35 comes from the many users we have that shoot with the FZ-35 and FZ-28.

The new Sx20IS looks good, it hasn't received quite the press of the FZ-35, but based on the sample pictures here at steve's and from the other few samples I have seen, the SX20IS seems to be a measurable step up from the SX10IS and seems to compete quite well with the Panny FZ-35.

I think they are both excellent choices and you really couldn't go wrong either way. As is often the advice, I suggest you go to your local shop and try them both out. I think after shooting a few pics with each, playing with menus/buttons, etc, you will quickly figure out which one you will be happiest with.

Dave1690 Dec 22, 2009 11:35 AM

Canon SX20IS versus Panasonic FZ35

Thanks so much to both of you for your thoughtful replies.

Mark1616 Dec 22, 2009 1:18 PM

There is little to choose between them. The Panasonic possibly creates slightly better photos and the lens is a bit faster (letting in more light so you don't have to use quite the same ISO to get the desired shutter speed), however it is very close. My dad has the SX20, I have an SX1 and we are both happy with what we have. However, when I got my SX1 it was because I wanted full HD video and at the time there was no other competitor. If I was choosing now I would struggle to go and have a play, see which feels the best, which menu system works best and take it from there.

anthony_b Dec 22, 2009 5:51 PM

I own the FZ35 and I'm really happy with it. A couple of things to consider is size and the sx20 uses AA batteries.

Hards80 Dec 22, 2009 5:58 PM

I was out christmas shopping and i saw both models on display. thinking back to this thread I spent a few minutes with each of them. I shoot canon dslrs and my current compact is a panasonic. so actually the menus and button layout for both felt right at home. i slightly preferred the grip on the canon, and slightly preferred the evf on the fz35. but in the end it was a real toss-up.

well, that was not helpful at all was it? lol

Hards80 Dec 22, 2009 6:04 PM

i was just looking around at what other people were saying regarding the fz vs sx and i found this youtube video that shows the fz-35 audio is capable of in the avchd format. i was actually quite surprised how good it was. i have no idea what the sx20 would do in a similar situation, be it better or worse. just wanted to share it cuz i found it interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRBTPn0yqQY

Stan C. Dec 22, 2009 7:56 PM

I prefer the FZ 35...it's a great camera....

manxbuggy1 Mar 7, 2010 10:16 PM

also looking at both of these cameras

Hello I am new to the sight and am just a casual hobby photographer. I have owned several super zoom cameras including the olympus c2100uz, sp500, canon s3is, and last the panasonic fz28. I currently still have both the canon and the panasonic. I like the images better on the panasonic but the movies better in the canon. The movie quality on the panasonic is actually better but the stereo sound of the canon is far better plus my main concern is the panasonic is in quicktime format which moviemaker wont even recognize or edit. I know that canon has went to the h264 format and can be edited and printed onto discs for sharing. If I am not mistaken even though the panasonic has hd in stereo sound it is still in quicktime. Please correct me if I am wrong or if sombody knows how to edit and burn quicktime movies on a pc let me know. I am leaning toward the canon because of this delimma and of course the extra 2x of optical zoom doesnt hurt either.