Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:02 PM   #1

Default top end P+S with good ISO 1600 ?

Thanks for previous info. This clarifies my thought alot.

Is there a top end P+S that anyone can suggest that does good quality ISO1600 with a 12-15 times zoom ?

Alternatively, what is the minimum amount that I'd have to spend on a dSLR to do this job?

Your help is much appreciated.
khblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:49 AM   #2

khblue-

If the issue is to squeeze by with a P+S camera. Here is a photo taken from 85 feet away at ISO 800 with a Kodak Z-1012 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:52 AM   #3

khblue-

In contrast, here is a photo taken with the Sony A-230 DSLR camera at ISO 1600. As i was only using a Sigma 18-125 lens on the Sony A-230, I had to be down right in the front row.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

there isn't really a p&s that can do a reasonable iso 1600 at 12-15x time zoom. the closest you can get is the Canon G11, which is more like a 4.5x zoom.

to get that kind of performance in a DSLR you will likely need to spend 600-700$ at minimum.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5

khblue-

I realized that there is still an unanswered portion of your question. Most entry level DSLR cameras are in the $(US)480.00 to $620.00 range. The Pentax Kx and Nikon D-5000 seem to show the best performance at numerically high ISO speeds.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Super Moderator

As we are discussing quality/noise etc, can you please post 100% crops so khblue can see real world results/differences?

khblue, are you wanting to print your photos or just share with friends on websites etc as that might make a difference in what you require. Also having ISO 1600 is not the only element to look at, as different lenses will affect how much light gets into a camera so you might have to use higher or lower ISO settings compared to another camera to get the same shot. So if camera A has a lens that is one stop better than Cameras B then you would only use say ISO 800 for camera A and 1600 for camera B.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7

To Mark's point, taking info from the previous thread, the environment the OP is shooting in would require ISO 1600 and f2.8 to get the desired 1/250 shutter speeds the OP wanted.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:28 PM   #8

Mark - Thanks. Initially I thought the replies would say "the best light gathering camera at that money would be...." but comments have been more about response at high ISO, which I guess is also very valuable.
Really I'd like someone knowledgable to tell me which camera has the best light gathering lens and light gathering CCD/CMOS for under $450.
Yes I'm printing at up to A3 size. ( That's about 2 times US letter )
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:21 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I honestly don't know of a point and shoot/bridge/superzoom that will do the trick. I rarely get asked to print at that sort of size from shots where I've worked at these ISOs. I've just gone through some previous weddings which is when I'm usually working nearer the limits and with my Canon 5D (now my backup camera) I don't know that I would be 100% happy with an A3 photo at 1600 ISO. I would be happy to do so from both the 1D mkIII and 5D mkII but they are in a different league to what we are discussing for you.

A lot of high end P&S cameras will produce lovely A3 results in good light but that's about the only situation. What circumstances are you looking to need the ISO 1600 and how often.

I need do do some more digging on entry level dSLRs to check the expected results but still don't think they will quite hit the mark, but out expectations of acceptable could be slightly different.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:40 PM   #10

Thanks for helping with this.

There are more details on the 'low light, fast speed, low cost' thread. I started a new one when I thought I had a more defined question.

Actually I'm sort of managing with the minolta z3 to get A3 prints which are almost acceptable. They get printed and laminated for use on display boards at parent evenings etc.. So I'm not actually looking at professional standard things I could sell but do want to improve things on the curent situation, which is taking heaps of bad photos and salvaging a few printable ones.

I'm also starting to look at second hand dSLRs. For example would an older dSLR, say the EOS 400D be a better bet ?