Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Closed Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
John:
I just don't see it that way, knowing B&H's reputation. There are too many other things that may be going on here.

System Constraints requiring them to bundle them in a single SKU to get the discount? Perhaps (as their system may not be able to match up separate items in order to apply an instant rebate that way unless they put them in the same SKU).
Thank you Jim. I am really taken aback by John's vehement bellicosity and his presumption we're running a scam on people. I am sorry he's so terribly disappointed in us.

If I understand him correctly, he wants to order Canon camera+lens kits with 2nd lenses and get Canon's mail-in rebates when applicable plus the so-called "instant rebate" Canon's offering until Jan 16, 2010.

A typical example would be the Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Kit w/18-55mm IS & 55-250mm IS Lens. The page for this says:
Price = 1099.98
Instant Savings! = -200.00
Offer ends 01/16/2010
You pay = 899.98

Below this are links to the two "Conditional" mail-in rebates.

This particular outfit (B&H # CAEDRT1IKQ) is Canon USA # 3818B002 (Rebel T1i and 18~55 IS lens) and Canon's 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS all in one.

If I understand John correctly his issue is he wants to be able to order Canon USA # 3818B002 and Canon's 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS as individual items rather than ordering the CAEDRT1IKQ which comprises both, and is vexed because the "instant savings" isn't reflected in the a la carte option. We created the B&H # CAEDRT1IKQ, and other similar product codes precisely so customers could order camera+lens kits with 2nd lenses as specified by Canon USA and obtain the savings. Reprogramming our entire Canon lineup to cover every possible permutation of cameras, camera+lens kits and camera+lens w/2nd lens outfits would be quite a task, especially considering both the current holiday season and the relatively brief window for which the "instant rebates" are available.

I'm sorry John's so vexed by this, sorry he seems to be conducting a one-man vendetta against B&H here and on at least one other forum, and sorrier he's using his mod status here for this unsavory purpose.

Jim, I appreciate your taking the time to contribute so thoughtfully here and want to wish you and yours the best for the holidays.

Last edited by henryp; Dec 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:48 PM   #22
Administrator

Henry:

I think that perhaps there is a misunderstanding about what I perceive John's main issue to be...

If you purchase the Camera (T1i with the 18-55mm lens), it's $749.95:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

If you purchase the 55-250mm lens, it's $255:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_IS.html

So, both of those items combined would run $1004.95.

If you then applied a $200 discount, you'd end up paying $804.95 (a lower price than you're offering the promo bundle at right now).

IOW, you're using discounted prices for the items purchased separately. Yet, the SKU you have for the $200 promo savings is discounting from list price instead.

That's where the problem seems to be coming in. IOW, my assumption is that there is a valid reason you can't offer the promo on already discounted items (or the bundle price does not reflect recent discounts you're offering on the items sold individually).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:18 PM   #23

Jim has it exactly. The same exact issue occurs for ALL the T1i, XSi, XS plus lens rebates from Cannon. There is a $100 rebate for the 1000d and 75-300 lens. B&H applies that rebate to the 'kit' they created. But that price is STILL higher than the a-la-carte price WITHOUT rebate.

I'm all in favor of the kit you create to make things easier. The issue, as Jim mentioned, is the kit applies the rebate to MSRP rather than B&H prices. The example of the XS plus 75-300 really drives this home. The kit is $670 WITH REBATE - individual items WITHOUT REBATE are less expensive.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Here's the link to the page with the T1i. Look to the right of the page for several options of where to buy from. If you buy from amazon itself (currently out of stock) price is $719.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi...1573940&sr=8-1

Now, here's the link for the 55-250 lens. Again, look to the right for buying options - from Amazon itself the cost is $255
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm...1574065&sr=1-1

$719 + 255 = 974

If you add those two items to your cart (and they MUST be from amazon not one of the other vendors) you'll see the $200 credit deducted for a total price of $774 plus shipping.
I uses both your links, and I could not get this 974 total, and when I went to check out there was no rebate added. it is 1099 just before confirming the order.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:27 PM   #25
Administrator

Amazon may have made a mistake when they allowed it originally. ;-)

Again, as I pointed out in my first post to this thread, the price B&H is offering the bundle at is the same price shown in the promo flyer from Canon.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ml#post1030650

IOW, it may not be financially feasable for them to offer you a discounted price on the items *and* allow $200 additional savings, depending on how Canon structured the deal with vendors.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Henry:

I think that perhaps there is a misunderstanding about what I perceive John's main issue to be...

If you purchase the Camera (T1i with the 18-55mm lens), it's $749.95:

If you purchase the 55-250mm lens, it's $255:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_IS.html

So, both of those items combined would run $1004.95.

If you then applied a $200 discount, you'd end up paying $804.95 (a lower price than you're offering the promo bundle at right now).

IOW, you're using discounted prices for the items purchased separately. Yet, the SKU you have for the $200 promo savings is discounting from list price instead.

That's where the problem seems to be coming in. IOW, my assumption is that there is a valid reason you can't offer the promo on already discounted items (or the bundle price does not reflect recent discounts you're offering on the items sold individually).
Respectfully, the combo of lens+camera+lens is not discounting the instant rebate from "list" price. The option is the lens+camera+lens (our CAEDRT1IKQ) for a price including the 200.00 instant rebate, or ordering the lens+camera (Canon 3818B002) and then the 2nd lens (Canon 2044B002) a la carte for which we have not programmed the 200.00 instant rebate.

Every combination for which Canon USA is offering the instant rebate is available via an outfit we've assembled. They're just not all available a la carte.

I presume amazon's doing it differently because they haven't assembled (or cannot) a lens+camera+lens product code as we have.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I uses both your links, and I could not get this 974 total, and when I went to check out there was no rebate added. it is 1099 just before confirming the order.
strangely enough I just tried it again and it worked for me. When you proceed to checkout the 200 is applied

Total was 974.00 + 8.53 s&h - $200 - $782.53.
Here's a screen shot of the pricing. If you really want to believe I'm making this up I'll post more shots showing order details below.
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:15 PM   #28

This is what I got when I went to your links, I have edited out personal info for security reasons. I did try to get to the amazon sold one, but I could not find it.

Please review and submit your order

By placing your order, you agree to Amazon.com's privacy notice and conditions of use.

Your order contains items from multiple sellers. Please review all options below.

Shipping Details: Item 1 of 2
Shipping to:
Shipping Options: (Learn more)
Ordering for Christmas? Based on the shipping schedule of Vanns, your items will arrive after December 24, 2009. Check below to see if a faster delivery option is available.
Choose a shipping speed:
Standard (3-5 business days)
Expedited (1-3 business days)
Need to ?
Amazon Payments will charge your credit or debit card for this part of your purchase when you place your order. Vanns will ship your item in accordance with their estimate below.
Ordering for Christmas? Based on the shipping schedule of Vanns, your items will arrive after December 24, 2009. Check below to see if a faster delivery option is available.
Estimated ship date for this item: December 24, 2009 - December 28, 2009
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
$299.97 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock
Condition: New
Sold by: Vanns

Ordering for Christmas? Based on the shipping schedule of Electronic Express, your items will arrive after December 24, 2009. Check below to see if a faster delivery option is available.
Shipping Method: Standard
Need to ?
Amazon Payments will charge your credit or debit card for this part of your purchase when you place your order. Electronic Express will ship your item in accordance with their estimate below.
Ordering for Christmas? Based on the shipping schedule of Electronic Express, your items will arrive after December 24, 2009. Check below to see if a faster delivery option is available.
Estimated ship date for this item: December 24, 2009 - December 28, 2009
Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
$799.00 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock
Condition: New
Sold by: Electronic Express

Order Summary
Items: $1,098.97
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Total Before Tax: $1,098.97
Estimated Tax:* $0.00

Order Total: $1,098.97
You got free shipping!

Have any gift cards, gift certificates or promotional claim codes? (Learn more)
Enter them here (one at a time):

Payment Method:

*Why has sales tax been applied? See tax and seller information

What happens when you place your order?
For an item sold by Amazon.com: When you click the "Place your order" button, we'll send you an e-mail message acknowledging receipt of your order. Your contract to purchase an item will not be complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the item has been shipped.
Amazon.com Returns Policy: Within 30 days of delivery, you may return new, unopened merchandise in its original condition. Exceptions and restrictions apply--read Amazon.com's complete Returns Policy.

Go to the Amazon.com home page (without completing your order)

Conditions of Use Privacy Notice 1996-2009, Amazon.com, Inc.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
This is what I got when I went to your links, I have edited out personal info for security reasons. I did try to get to the amazon sold one, but I could not find it.
That's the difference. Here's how to order from Amazon. Go to the first link I gave you. Over in the right side of the page there is an area called "more buying choices". Click on the <add to cart> button. Then go to the page for the 55-250 and again use the link over at the "more buying choices" side of the page. When you proceed to checkout the $200 rebate is applied.
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:34 PM   #30

it took some searching but amazon made it difficult to find. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM.

Closed Thread