Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Closed Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:29 AM   #51

Default Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Recently a number of people have expressed interest in cameras and are considering purchasing Canon T1i / XSI and canon 55-250mm lens because canon is running a program thru Jan 16 where an instant $200 rebate is applied.........
Normally I suggest people buy from reptutable dealeras B&H or Adorama. However, this is a case where both companies are unfortunately stiffing the customers on this deal.......sadly these "reputable" companies are taking advantage of their customers and so the customer only gets $105 discount.
You don't mention who you spoke to at Adorama to query this issue? I can only think that it must have been a member of seasonal staff who wasn't able to advise you that this apparent pricing discrepancy is down to the way our system databases work (which is similar to other dealers).

We don't currently have our systems configured to be able to use the formula 'buy A, get B at a discount' (eg buy the camera, get the lens at a $200 discount), only a system of offering a %age off a price.

In order to get around this and be able to start offering the savings from Canon to our customers without unnecessary delays, we made up our own kit & offered the $200 savings to the customer.

[It's important to note that kits such as these have MAP restrictions placed on us by the manufacturers who are funding the offers. Therefore, our actual (lower) selling price will only be clear once the item has been placed in the shopping cart.]

The price was set to be manually adjusted, but recent price fluctuations put a spanner in the works.

Our system engineers have been working on a fix to this issue, and by the time the 55-250 mm is back in stock, we hope to have worked out a way to be able to upload the kits so as to support a $$ amount discount, ie offering $200 off the combined selling price of the kit components.

It possible that we still won't be able to offer the discount if a customer adds both items to the cart separately; the discount will only be reflected if a kit SKU is used (and we'll do a manual adjustment) - but we will certainly work in the future to offer the BOGO discounts in this way.

I am truly sorry that this has caused such confusion; I hope this has clarified the situation - but please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information, or if your order requires the manual adjustment as above.

Happy Holidays, and a Peaceful and Healthy New Year to all.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:27 PM   #52

Just to keep things updated here. I see Adorama has moved closer to passing on the full $200 rebate to customers. The two items, if bought separately sell on Adorama for $1015. Less the $200 rebate would be a cost of $815.

The kit price at Adorama now has a cost of $825 when you add to the cart. So, Adorama is passing on $190 of the rebate to the customer.

On the B&H side: the individual components sell for the same $1015 price (which less the 200 rebate = $815). Today, the B&H price if you add the kit to the cart is $875. So, B&H has manually adjusted the kit price down - showing they have the ability to do so. But they're still only passing $125 of the $200 rebate on to their customers.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:41 PM   #53

Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Just to keep things updated here. I see Adorama has moved closer to passing on the full $200 rebate to customers. The two items, if bought separately sell on Adorama for $1015. Less the $200 rebate would be a cost of $815.

The kit price at Adorama now has a cost of $825 when you add to the cart. So, Adorama is passing on $190 of the rebate to the customer.
You should find the 'missing' $10 turns up by way of the shipping charge!

Helen Oster

Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:44 PM   #54

I just checked Adorama 60 seconds ago and the T1i kit with both lenses is showing as $899.98 final price after rebate. Listed as $1099.98 less $200 rebate.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTh View Post
I just checked Adorama 60 seconds ago and the T1i kit with both lenses is showing as $899.98 final price after rebate. Listed as $1099.98 less $200 rebate.
That's because you didn't put it in the basket. MAP restrictions are very tight & different rules apply to kits than single units.

Helen Oster

Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:17 PM   #56

Good observation Helen. Added to cart indeed reduces further down to $825. Very difficult as an end consumer who is shopping to not be able to trust the posted prices and then see differences after added to cart. Seems you need to add everything to a cart to see the TRUE final price. Sloppy way of handling this. As an end user I go away feeling frustrated at a retailer that utilizes that practice.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTh View Post
Good observation Helen. Added to cart indeed reduces further down to $825. Very difficult as an end consumer who is shopping to not be able to trust the posted prices and then see differences after added to cart. Seems you need to add everything to a cart to see the TRUE final price. Sloppy way of handling this. As an end user I go away feeling frustrated at a retailer that utilizes that practice.
My apologies, (and I do agree that it is irritating), however, we are bound by MAP restrictions (set, of course, by the manufacturer).

These restrictions prevent us from advertising much of our inventory for the actual prices that we will charge when you get to the checkout.

Helen Oster

Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:34 PM   #58

Helen,

Since you brought up MAP restrictions as a reason for this, I'd like to ask this question:

You show discounted prices for the Camera and discounted prices for the 55-250mm lens. So, clearly Canon has not limited you from advertising those individual items at prices below MSRP. Are you saying there was a NEW restriction that applies only to selling items with the rebate? This is a new twist to me - I've seen MAP restrictions before but in the context I'm used to, such restrictions would prevent you from advertising the camera itself at below MSRP or the lens at below MSPR. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Helen,

Since you brought up MAP restrictions as a reason for this, I'd like to ask this question:

You show discounted prices for the Camera and discounted prices for the 55-250mm lens. So, clearly Canon has not limited you from advertising those individual items at prices below MSRP. Are you saying there was a NEW restriction that applies only to selling items with the rebate? This is a new twist to me - I've seen MAP restrictions before but in the context I'm used to, such restrictions would prevent you from advertising the camera itself at below MSRP or the lens at below MSPR. Thanks for taking the time to post.
The rules for advertising kits are different from advertising single units.

Helen Oster

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:10 PM   #60

Thanks Helen for stating your case. So, we now have 2 vendors which are able to pass along the $200 rebate to customers and still offer their discounted price. So far no evidence that passing on the rebate costs the vendor any money at all. Now, Helen has been kind enough to address some of the nuances:
  1. Adorama had technical issues preventing them from applying the discount to items if purchased separately. So to achieve the discount they had to create a new KIT.
  2. Their original kit price was supposed to be manually discounted but wasn't. They addressed that.
  3. MAP restrictions prevent them from showing the true price until it's in the cart. This a restriction applied to this specific camera/lens kit and the restriction doesn't apply to the sale of the individual components. That brought the price down to $825
  4. Again, because of the way they had to achieve the $200 discount in their systems, the actual discount amount to the consumer was less than $200. So Adorama adjusted their shipping charges down to make up for that $10 difference.
Seems like Adorama has explained the snafu from their side.

Perhaps Henry can rejoin the discussion and explain why B&H is still only passing on $140 of the $200 discount to their customers. Henry has accused me in this thread of abusing my moderator status to bring this situation to light. But we now have TWO vendors who are showing the full rebate can be passed along to customers. And we have yet to hear a plausible reason why Canon cannot pass that full $200 rebate on to their customers. The fact that when you add their $899 kit to your cart and get a price of $875 shows they can adjust the price. So why can't that price go down to $815 to reflect the full $200 rebate?

Closed Thread