Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Closed Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Henry has accused me in this thread of abusing my moderator status to bring this situation to light.
Accused? Remarkable how time after time the most unpleasant venal, disparaging interpretation is the first to leap from your brow.

What I said was:
I'm sorry John's so vexed by this, sorry he seems to be conducting a one-man vendetta against B&H here and on at least one other forum, and sorrier he's using his mod status here for this unsavory purpose.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:03 PM   #62

Henry,

Let me publicly appologize for allowing this to escalate into personal comments. I am sorry for that. It does no one any good. I would sincerely prefer the discussion to return to pricing. Again, sorry for a poor choice in words on my part. I shall try harder to keep my posts less personal and stick to the issue at hand - pricing practices.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:43 PM   #63

I just bought the XS for $485 w/tax and then ordered a Tamron 70-300 lens for $164 for a total of $649. According to Amazon I can get the Xsi and canon lens for $619. So is that a better lens or am I better to keep what I have?

Actually I don't know if Best Buy will take back my Xs since I've opened and used it. Any ideas???

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
$255.00 - Quantity: 1 - Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
Gift options None
Estimated delivery date for this item: December 30, 2009
Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)
$564.91 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Gift options None

Last edited by KarenWHowell76; Dec 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:48 PM   #64

Well the xsi is a better camera the the xs. So given the xs vs the xsi, I would get the xsi instead. Which Tamron lens did you get exactly?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:51 PM   #65

Or I could get the T1I for $774 shipped.

Order now and we'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time.
Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
$719.00 - Quantity: 1 - Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Gift options None
Order now and we'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time.
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
$255.00 - Quantity: 1 - Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:53 PM   #66

This is what I just ordered this evening! Grrrr!!!
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:59 PM   #67

According to Best Buy's Return policy, they will charge a restocking fee of 15% if I return the XS. So if you add that to what I'd pay amazon for the deal, then it is more than I have invested!! Oh well, always LOOKING for a deal! Just missed it this time!...and it STINKS!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenWHowell76 View Post
I just bought the XS for $485 w/tax and then ordered a Tamron 70-300 lens for $164 for a total of $649. According to Amazon I can get the Xsi and canon lens for $619. So is that a better lens or am I better to keep what I have?

Actually I don't know if Best Buy will take back my Xs since I've opened and used it. Any ideas???

Gift options None
Estimated delivery date for this item: December 30, 2009
Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)
$564.91 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Gift options None
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:05 PM   #68

Well that lens gives you the ability to shot marco, it is some the canon ef-s 55-250 is not suite for. So if you like to take photos of small things like flowers and stuff, this lens will do it. The canon lens has a imagine stabilization feature, the the tamron does not. But both lens takes pretty good photos in the 250 and down price range. What exactly are you looking for your camera to do? For example family gathering, landscape, sports, points of interest and so forth?

The thing about the amazon t1i is that the price includes a rebate from canon that ends jan 16. If they do not get it before it ends, then you may not be entitle to the rebate. I do not know amazon's policy for that situation.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:10 PM   #69

T1i is above my budget!! I have a 7 and 1 y/o. The 7 y/o dances, cheers, and plays softball. I scrapbook so I take lots of pics of school events, family at home, parties...ect. My pics will be of my kids, not flowers and things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Well that lens gives you the ability to shot marco, it is some the canon ef-s 55-250 is not suite for. So if you like to take photos of small things like flowers and stuff, this lens will do it. The canon lens has a imagine stabilization feature, the the tamron does not. But both lens takes pretty good photos in the 250 and down price range. What exactly are you looking for your camera to do? For example family gathering, landscape, sports, points of interest and so forth?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #70

The tamron will do all the things you have mention just as well as the canon 55-250. Since your kids play outdoor sports, the tamron will give you a better reach then the canon. If you are planning to get a flash, then the IS of the canon is not as important when in lower light shots. But if you are planning for indoor school events you may want to invest in a nice flash. Neither of these lenses are really bright. Also in general marco lenses takes pretty good portraits also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 29, 2009 at 1:16 PM.

Closed Thread