Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Closed Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:17 PM   #1

Default avoid price scams on Canon xsi/t1i and 55-250

Recently a number of people have expressed interest in cameras and are considering purchasing Canon T1i / XSI and canon 55-250mm lens because canon is running a program thru Jan 16 where an instant $200 rebate is applied.

Normally I suggest people buy from reptutable dealeras B&H or Adorama. However, this is a case where both companies are unfortunately stiffing the customers on this deal. Neither company will apply the $200 discount to your order if you add the two items (camera and 18-55 lens and 55-250 lens) separately to your cart. So you pay roughly $1005 when you try to purchase them separately. The only way either company will apply the $200 rebate is if you buy an inflated price kit that is defined as containing the body, 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. The price for that 'Kit' is set to $1100. They apply the discount and you pay $900.

You should really only have to pay $805 but sadly these "reputable" companies are taking advantage of their customers and so the customer only gets $105 discount.

At this point lots of places are out of stock because of these great deals. My suggestion for people that want to take advantage - order from Amazon.com. The $200 rebate WILL BE applied when you place the separate items in your cart. But you have to be careful - you MUST purchase from amazon itself and not one of the sub-vendors - so when you place each item in your cart make sure you're placing the item from amazon itself. Your out-the-door price should be $782.53 - $118 less expensive than Adorama and B&H - or roughly the amount of the portion of discount those retailers are keeping for themselves by forcing you to buy a more expensive kit.

I understand companies need to make money. But photography forums are here to benefit the consumer, not the stores. Unfortunately, B&H is currently defending this practice - their official stance (via Henry Posner) is that you are paying $900 for the kit which is less than the normal price of the 2 individual items. What they want to ignor is that it isn't $200 less than the normal price. So you're not seeing the total benefit of the $200 Canon is giving.

In other instances, this type of pricing is exactly why buying 'kits' from stores can be a bad idea. If it weren't for the rebate, the 'convenience' of adding only 1 item to your shopping cart would cost you $1100. If you actually add the individual items it would cost you $1005 (a savings of $95). So, even when the kits include quality products, be wary that vendors pricing may lead to kits being a bad purchase.
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:41 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up; you just saved me one week of day care expense.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
Thanks for the heads up; you just saved me one week of day care expense.
Exactly the way I look at things whenever I save money or get a rebate. "$XX.xx is a tank of gas." Or a week's groceries. Or the power bill. Etc. It helps me to "realize" those savings and how they actually affect my budget.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

thanks for sharing that John, it is quite disappointing that the reputable dealers with a proven history would resort to this.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:55 PM   #5

Actually adorama has the t1i kit for 824 but out of stock. If you do a search of the T1i or t1i kit on amazon, they are out also. They only have vendors who has it, and their price is 799 for the one lens kit, and 1000 bucks for the 2 lens kit. Availability is not there. The canon promotion really worked.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:22 PM   #6

Looks like I will have to wait until January to make the purchase. I just looked at Amazon and the kits are @ $1,100 (and that says reflecting the rebate).
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:05 PM   #7

Yup, the t1i and the e620 sold like hot cakes with the discounts form olympus and canon. Just a reminder, the rebates for the t1i ends jan 16.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:54 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
I understand companies need to make money. But photography forums are here to benefit the consumer, not the stores. Unfortunately, B&H is currently defending this practice - their official stance (via Henry Posner) is that you are paying $900 for the kit which is less than the normal price of the 2 individual items. What they want to ignor is that it isn't $200 less than the normal price. So you're not seeing the total benefit of the $200 Canon is giving.
I'm going to disagree. Look at the rebate form:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Pro...treb_nov29.pdf

The "normal" price is supposed to be $799.99 for the kit including the 18-55mm lens + $299.99 for the 55-250mm. After the $200 instant rebate, you get the kit for $899.98.

That's what B&H is selling the kit for (exactly what it shows the price to be on Canon's promotion form after a $200 instant rebate)

We don't know how Canon structured this deal with vendors. But, my guess is they can't afford to give you discounts on top of discounts and still make a profit. Just because they were able to sell the single lens kit at $749 versus $799 doesn't mean that they can discount the entire kit even more than the $200 instant rebate promotion going on right now.

They're selling it at the same price Canon shows it to be on their promotion form after the $200 savings (and my guess is that the vendor has to eat some of that discount).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:08 AM   #9
Administrator

IOW, you're complaining because you can't get discounts on top of discounts. ;-)
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:18 AM   #10

JimC,

There may be some truth there, as adorama has the 2 lens kit 824. The lowest price for the t1i I have seen with the one lens is 689 + 249 for the 55-250mm making it a total of 938 if you brought them not in kit form. So in the 2 lens kit form you actually are saving 114 dollars with the 200 rebate kit. And I was looking at amazon before they ran out of the t1i, and I did not see 805 for the 2 lens kit let alone the 782 price you are speaking of. As I was helping my brother research his first dslr camera purchase. If I had found that I would have told my brother to get the t1i instead of the pentax k-x with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses kit for 720. It would have been worth going over his budget for the added performance of the t1i for 60 dollars.

Closed Thread