Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you use?
S2Pro 0 0%
S9600 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:47 PM   #1

Default Fuji S2Pro vs Fuji S9600

The 6MP DSLR vs the 9MP bridge...

I already have a S9600, but am thinking of moving to a DSLR.
A second hand S2Pro is within my price range.
Most of my photography is static scenes, with quite a lot of lightpainted very long exposures underground. It's very rare indeed for me to use the zoom on the S9600.

So, to buy or not to buy?
How do these two face up to each other?

Fredd
freddyokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Fredd:

The S2 Pro is a 7 year old camera body (introduced in 2002). So, I'd be concerned about reliability (oxidation on switch contacts, capacitors beginning to break down, wear and tear on the shutter and mirror mechanism, etc.). That particular body was also prone to CCD failures. Fuji was fixing that problem at no charge at one time. But, I don't know if they still do it for that body.

From what I can see of used listings at http://www.keh.com, you should be able to buy one for under $250 now in Excellent condition (body only, no lens). But, if you go that route, I'd make sure to get one from a reputable vendor that offers a short term warranty on used gear (and even then, I'd probably be hesitant to buy that particular body, especially given it's age and history of CCD issues).

On the plus side, it does seem to do relatively well for long exposures from tests I've seen. So, it may make a good fit (provided you are using a decent lens with it, which could run more than the camera body itself). This model uses Nikkor Autofocus lenses (it's basically a Nikon camera body with Fuji electronics inside). So, you would have a lot of lens choices available.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:05 PM   #3

Hmm, been analysing what I'm really after in a camera, over and above what the S9600 (S9100 in USA) provides. And it comes down to 2 things:

1) Interchangable lenses, as I can't currently go more open than f/2.8, and the functionality of the built in 28-300 with 10.7x zoom is not needed for what I do.

2) Larger sensor size as I feel that 1/1.6" is a little bit on the small size.

Other than that, the S9600 is good. An S3Pro would probably be perfect but the price is much higher.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:27 PM   #4

Call me mental, but the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D (Maxxum 7D) eventually filled the void.
A Sony 50/1.8 and 18-55/3.5-5.6 made it a whole lot better.

Happy ending...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyokel View Post
Call me mental, but the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D (Maxxum 7D) eventually filled the void.
A Sony 50/1.8 and 18-55/3.5-5.6 made it a whole lot better.

Happy ending...
congratulations. the KM7D is a fine camera and boasts one of the best control layouts there has been.

just make sure your firmware is 1.10

Last edited by Hards80; Jan 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I agree with Hards, the KM7D is a great beast. I used to have a KM5D and it did a good job and really got me hooked on this crazy hobby. Looking forward to seeing some shots!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote