Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:56 PM   #11

sarah,
Glad to hear that - excited to hear what you think..
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:38 PM   #12

Nech-

I am not satisfied with the photo at all, but, it is a one step along the way toward really understanding EXR. I will keep you posted.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:31 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Initial thoughts are that the WB looks off and that the skin looks plastic. Can't say anything about quality/noise as we don't have a 100% crop.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Initial thoughts are that the WB looks off and that the skin looks plastic. Can't say anything about quality/noise as we don't have a 100% crop.
What does that mean WB off? And skin looks plastic? I will take a look on my computer.. my laptop screen always makes everything look off... but I don't see what is wrong - isn't ISO 1600 very high aren't you supposed to stay under 800 for good pictures? The reviews I have read say stay under 800 or there is too much noise... but I honestly don't know what that means...

Mark - what does a 100% crop mean? I can't zoom on this one... it is not 100%? please explain. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I am new at all this wanting to learn.

Last edited by nech770; Dec 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:51 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Hi nech, I was answering Sarah's question "Here is the 1st photo out of the F-70EXR taken indoors at ISO 1600. I think it looks pretty good, what are your thoughts?". So WB is white balance, in very basic terms under different lighting the colours captured by a digital camera are affected so white isn't always white. In the photo this looks to be off so the colours are not accurate to what they eye would see. Sarah is giving an example for you of an image to hopefully help you in deciding if there is enough quality there, however reducing a photo from full size to web size potentially hides a lot of things.

This thread will help answer your questions around this and the 100% crop issue.

Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality

Don't worry, your questions are not silly at all and our goal is for you to learn and get the best advice so you can get the photos you desire so keep asking away

As for the noise issue, this is basically reduced image quality, innacurate pixels/colour caused by increasing the sensitivity to allow the sensor to capture a shot more quickly. Everything is a trade off in photography so you need to find the right balance.

Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page15.asp which allows you to change the ISO settings on the compared cameras and you can see the noise coming in as you go up the range. I know these are not cameras you were looking at but I was checking out something on the K-x yesterday and remembered they had this feature.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:01 AM   #16

Mark-

I agree with you that the WB is way off. But that was the result of fooling around for 15 minutes on a very busy day. The pressure will slack off tomorrow, then I can do more learning and experimenting.

It most probably sounds stupid, but this EXR system will take something of a learning curve. I see this only as the front door to a long corridor. I can explore in silence, which is probably better, than posting poor but progressively better photos. When I do have a good answer, I will also post a 100% crop as well.

Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:48 AM   #17

OK, Nech and Mark-

Here is a 100% crop of a photo of a US $1 bill. The photo was of the whole bill, naturally this photo at a 100% crop, just shows the right hand lower corner. This photo was taken under a 60W ceiling light bulb at ISO 1600. The WB is not quite perfect, but beginning to get much, much closer. That looks pretty good for a $(US) 200.00 P+S camera at ISO 1600, at least to me. No noise reduction software was employed.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:40 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Thanks Sarah, do you have the one of your husband as something like a note is hard to see quality in something we are used to seeing and for most of us shooting people will one of the most regular things?

Thanks and have a lovely Christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19

That is an interesting point, Mary-

After a lot of thought last nigh I chose the $(US)1 note last night before going to bed, as we were really focused on the WB problem. I thought that most of the readers are used to seeing the note in daily life and could relate to the color (WB) and the intricate design in the corner area.

So I guess you are saying that was NOT a good choice. Strange, I thought it might be a good choice as most of the viewers would know what the colors should really look like.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:06 AM   #20

Mark-

It is very early on Christmas morning, so I am the only one up. This is a photo of a camera, not a person, but I believe that it serves the purpose nicely.

Here is the photo taken with the F-70EXR.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images