Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:35 AM   #1

Default 1st time dSLR-er

Hi all! I've stumbled upon this site via google, seeing that i was having such a hard time deciding on a camera. I want to move to a dSLR since the point and shoot photography was wearing thin on me. Also, my doctor said to find a new hobby so photography was it.

I've always been fascinated by the amazing pictures that dSLRs are capable of taking but have been intimidated by the multitude of types and models. Anyhow, i would like to take pictures of everything. Seeing that i would be a first timer/beginner, i would like to stay under the $1000 mark...actually the cheaper the better. I know this is a huge constraint but in all honesty, i am new to the field and i don't plan on opening up a studio any time soon. I'm thinking about taking shots of nature, still life, some sports, family get togethers and that kind of stuff...basically the run of the mill ordeal.

I have read previous posts before i actually registered for this site and was a little bit overwhelmed. i barely knew what all the camera lingo meant, but i hope in time i will learn. I read justinY's post about what camera to get and it was quite informative except i've limited myself to 2 brands: Nikon and Cannon. Seeing my girlfriend is getting this for me, she wants to buy it at my favorite store: Best Buy!!

I'm torn between the D3000 and the XS/XSi. Both brands come in under $700 with a package but i really do not know which brand to get. Both names are reputable but i'm leaning towards the D3000 since it has a guide option for noobs like me. But i want more of an input than what CNet has given me.

Any help is considerable help!
Thanks,
Kevin
kdc2487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:55 AM   #2

The XSi is the best of the three cameras you mentioned, and Canon's 18-55 kit lens is better than Nikon's. Also, for shooting sports/action/wildlife, it also has the best autofocus system.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:17 AM   #3

The XSi is the best of the 3 you mention, The D3000 will not let you use the full nikon lens lineup if you chose to upgrade. The D3000 will not auto focus on any of the AF lenses, you only have full capability with AF-S and AF-I lenses. So if you plan to grow this hobby that may be a concern.

The XSi will accept all canon eos lenses and 3rd party lenses for eos. The XSi is a better camera the the XS. It is better resolution and more features.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4

kdc-

While the Canon XSi may indeed be the better choice. I encourage you to get into a camera shop and actually physically handle all of your potential camera choices. How a camera feels in hand and how you hand spans the controls can sometimes be surprising.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5

I totally agree with sarah, if the fit of the camera is better for you, the short coming may be worth it.

Marry X-mas Sarah and everyone
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6

I would like to expand on the issue of ergonomics.

If only one camera will do what you want, then how the camera feels is irrelevant. I'm certain that no one will disagree with me on that.

But that's not exactly the situation here. The situation is, however, that, of the three cameras you've narrowed your selection down to, the XSi will do what you want better than either of the other two. But if you prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon to the Canons, then perhaps you should consider a Nikon that would be better suited to what you want to do. The Nikon D90 is a better camera than the D3000, and it will do what you want better than the Canons you mentioned, though it will stretch your budget somewhat.

You need to consider the ergonomics, but as one of many criteria for selecting a camera. If, for instance, you had narrowed your selection to two or three equally capable camera systems, then ergonomics should be the deciding factor. If you are prepared to give up sports shooting in favor of how the camera feels to you, that's ok too. But make sure you understand what you'll be giving up, whatever choice you make.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7

TCav-

Your point is well taken. However, how a feels is a really big issue, at least to me.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:22 PM   #8

Ok, but if Sony used my hand as the model for the grip of the new A750, and it used my brainwaves to adust the camera settings, I still wouldn't buy it because I still would't pay $1,370 for a large aperture medium telephoto lens.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:51 PM   #9
Administrator

Tcav:

I don't think you're ever going to get over the cost of the Sony/Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 (or their lack of a less expensive prime in that focal length) :-)

But, it's price is really not out of line with similar lenses. A Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 is going to run you over $1200 now from what I can see of current prices at vendors; and a Canon 85mm f/1.2L is going to run you over $1800 now after current discounts. ;-)

It's just that Sony doesn't have any less expensive offerings (like the dimmer Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 or Canon 85mm f/1.8 choices).

In primes, I've got the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 Autofocus lenses (and they're all stabilized on my Sony A700). So, that's no big deal to me. lol

I also suspect that most users would prefer using zooms anyway (and since newer camera models have been continuing to improve at higher ISO speeds, the need for brighter primes is going to diminish as time passes for most users).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:59 PM   #10

TCav-

Therefore, you are safe and your budget intact by you opting for the Nikon D-90 anf the Nikkor 85mm F 1.8 lens.

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce