Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:28 AM   #1

Default P&S best video

What would the forum recommend for any non DSLR camera with the best video quality?

For example:
Are there any non-DSLR cameras that allow zoom, or utilize image stabilization in video mode? Also, do any allow one to change exposure in video?

I find myself using video more and more on my still camera (video camera is just too bulky and complicated), but the lack of either above on my current camera make videos quite poor unless I am using a tripod.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:15 AM   #2

Panasonic fz35
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:32 AM   #3

Sorry, I should have been more specific, that I want something with a moderate body size, something rectangular without a lens, viewfinder or grip jutting out.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Something like the Panasonic TZ5, TZ7. Not as good as the FZ35 but a better body size.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Something like the Panasonic TZ5, TZ7. Not as good as the FZ35 but a better body size.
This is the same as the ZS3 here in the US, right? I'm glad to hear this, that is one of the few I'm looking at. I was unable to find on that model has IS during video. I did see that it allows zoom during video.

How might the ZS3 compare to the LX3 for video quality?

Last edited by pnut; Dec 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:14 AM   #6

pnut-

In terms of video quality, the Panasonic GH-1 and GF-1 are among the best. The Canon SX-1 is also very good, although the camera itself is rather large.

When considering compact zooms the size of the Panasonic ZS-3 or the Sony H-20, is their photo ability in the still mode to be considered as well? If so the Sony H-20 gets a big thumbs up. The Panasonic ZS-3 gets a thumbs down because its indoor image quality, due to its very small and very underpowered flash causes a very measurable reduction in indoor image quality.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
pnut-

In terms of video quality, the Panasonic GH-1 and GF-1 are among the best. The Canon SX-1 is also very good, although the camera itself is rather large.

When considering compact zooms the size of the Panasonic ZS-3 or the Sony H-20, is their photo ability in the still mode to be considered as well? If so the Sony H-20 gets a big thumbs up. The Panasonic ZS-3 gets a thumbs down because its indoor image quality, due to its very small and very underpowered flash causes a very measurable reduction in indoor image quality.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce

Ability for still photos is still considered for sure. I was just trying to isolate a few important to me features, and see if they lined up with my options.

From what I've read today (even since I posted), here are the players I'm looking at (may change):

Canon Powershot S90 - Still working on my research - looks to be a good option
Panasonic ZS3 - too small a sensor since I can afford more, little manual control, but nice zoom.
Panasonic GF1 - Larger than I want, very $$, but other than that seems to have it all.
Panasonic FX3 - Almost perfect among P&S's if it were not for the well documented white balance problems

Last edited by pnut; Dec 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:56 PM   #8

pnut-

IMO the Canon S-90 is the best of your selection bearing in my your "small physical size" priority. Other than the S-90, then its GF-1. Often, now, I will compromise on my priorities, when I am getting much better image quality. Several years ago, I struggled with a camera that met my priorities, but had substantially less image quality. I found that when I had the "right camera" in terms of image quality, my other, so called priority, was soon forgotten as I had gotten the image quality I really needed.

Give yourself a GH-1 or GF-1 for Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote