Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
... right now at Amazon I see the Pentax K-x with 2 lens kit selling for $850, not $638. Am I missing something? ...
Yes, you are a bit late! Isn't that something? Prices went up big time. Not only that, the 2-lens kit is not even sold by Amazon. I will never buy the kit for $850 knowing that it was less than $650.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Yes, you are a bit late! Isn't that something? Prices went up big time. Not only that, the 2-lens kit is not even sold by Amazon. I will never buy the kit for $850 knowing that it was less than $650.
You might be right, but I just got the idea that the disparity concerns the lenses. With the 55-300mm lens it's available on ebay for ~$800, but with a 55-200mm lens I see it for ~$650. Maybe that's why so different. It's very hard to imagine the price going up by $200. In the realm of digital cameras and computers prices generally drop for the same merchandise, they don't escalate.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:06 AM   #13

No, the kit was with the 55-300mm. I almost bought myself one.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
No, the kit was with the 55-300mm. I almost bought myself one.
Why has the price gone up $250? Anyone? I've never heard of such a thing, never!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:01 PM   #15

It was on rebate, the rebate is not over so the price went back up.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:43 PM   #16

I urge you to get the Sony so I can buy your lenses cheap. Seriously, get the Kx and use those lenses.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
I'm head first into this thread because I too have these two particular cameras at the top of my list for my first DSLR:

Sony A330
Pentax K-x
What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
What do you want to shoot?
Not sure. I sometimes shoot parties, family gatherings, kids, indoors and out. I'll certainly shoot other stuff, but right now I'm using a 6+ year old Samsung Digimax V3, with 3.2 MP, using 2x AA's, and the cycle times are 7+ seconds, and that drives me nuts. I know the K-x shoots 4.7/sec in burst mode and the Sony maybe 2.5, so the Pentax is faster that way, but either are light years ahead of my P&S Samsung.

Sony is pretty good in low light, but evidently the Pentax is better.

One thing that attracts me to the Pentax is the use of AA's. I'm into them a lot. I have Lithium rechargables but hate them because they deteriorate faster especially if you fully charge them. NiMH batteries aren't like that. Just top them up and forget about them, especially low discharge batteries. However, I hear that the K-x's HD video will overtax AA's, and if I want good performance with the video recording feature I might have to get lithium batteries for it.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:27 PM   #19

sony has no hd with the a330.

The pentax is better in low light, and has a better AF system the the sony also. My brother uses the k-x HD with sanyo enloops, and have not had any complain. But he does short clips about 2 min. Not long 15 min HD.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
sony has no hd with the a330.

The pentax is better in low light, and has a better AF system the the sony also. My brother uses the k-x HD with sanyo eneloops, and have not had any complain. But he does short clips about 2 min. Not long 15 min HD.
How much better is the AF with the Pentax? I've seen umpteen million references to the fact that with the Pentax you can't see where the AF point is in the viewfinder. I am fuzzy on the details. Perhaps they mean that if you choose to have a single AF reference point, and you forget where that is, you get no help by looking through the viewfinder. Is that exactly the issue?

I recently bought 4 AA Eneloops to use one pair at a time in my Samsung P&S and was disappointed (and surprised) to see the camera shut down after only taking a few pictures. If I get the K-x, I can use them in that. However, a $10.55 expense for the Eneloops does not weigh heavily in my choice of DSLR.

The Sony's a lot cheaper. I'm wondering how the Sony lenses compare.