Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:53 PM   #21

The AF system is better at tracking moving object in action. It is actually allot better then the sony a330.

The AF point can be an issue for some, and not for other. It really does not affect how the AF system track. All it does is show you where the camera is focus to. But the Pentax deals with not having the AF point in a very good way. It breaks up the 11 points into 2 brackets. You can choose to shoot all 11 or just the inner 5. I have notice what with 11 widely spread point all working at the same time. I tend to get miss focus point when shooting a clutter scene. I like the way the pentax center the 5 inner point close, so it works nicely for tracking moving object.

Here is an example of the pentax with 5 points tracking a bird in flight, keep the subject in the inner bracket and it stays in focus pretty well.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...entax-k-x.html
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The AF system is better at tracking moving object in action. It is actually allot better then the sony a330.

The AF point can be an issue for some, and not for other. It really does not affect how the AF system track. All it does is show you where the camera is focus to. But the Pentax deals with not having the AF point in a very good way. It breaks up the 11 points into 2 brackets. You can choose to shoot all 11 or just the inner 5. I have notice what with 11 widely spread point all working at the same time. I tend to get miss focus point when shooting a clutter scene. I like the way the pentax center the 5 inner point close, so it works nicely for tracking moving object.

Here is an example of the pentax with 5 points tracking a bird in flight, keep the subject in the inner bracket and it stays in focus pretty well.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...entax-k-x.html
Are you saying that with the K-x you have a choice of using 11 point or 5 point AF and that you prefer to use 5 point? This camera looks like a great choice for me except for the universal dismay expressed by everybody at the lack of indication in the viewfinder of where the AF is keyed on.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:14 AM   #23

You have the choice of 11 or 5 or single point that you choose. I own a t1i and a epl1 that have AF point and it really does not affect me when I decided to play and use my brothers K-x. Think allot of people make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you are accustom to having the AF point light it, it may affect you. But my brother never had a dslr, and not been inbedded with the AF point light. It does not bother him. If you are uses to having AF points it may bother you. But it something each person need to decide for themselves.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:13 AM   #24

im sorry to interrupt,just curious....can any of u tell me why the price of a dated model like k-x has increased like 100 bucks
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNiKa View Post
im sorry to interrupt,just curious....can any of u tell me why the price of a dated model like k-x has increased like 100 bucks
The instant rebate offer expired.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
One thing that attracts me to the Pentax is the use of AA's. I'm into them a lot. I have Lithium rechargables but hate them because they deteriorate faster especially if you fully charge them. ...
I haven't had a camera that takes AA in a while (the last one was the Pentax K100D) so I'm not sure what I'm about to write still holds true. The downside of AA is its use with flash. Not only flash will drain the battery very fast, AA takes a lot longer to charge up the flash once it's deployed. You just couldn't take two or more consecutive shots with flash. The first would look good, the second would be darker because the flash was not fully charged. Some cameras won't even let you take the picture until the flash is fully charged. Very frustrating situation. Now, I'm sure that AA batteries got better over the years and that certainly may help minimize the problem.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM   #27

The pentax k-x is not that rough to the AA batteries when shooting with the flash. Like most dslr, the built in flash is not to powerful, so it really do not take to long to charge up.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I haven't had a camera that takes AA in a while (the last one was the Pentax K100D) so I'm not sure what I'm about to write still holds true. The downside of AA is its use with flash. Not only flash will drain the battery very fast, AA takes a lot longer to charge up the flash once it's deployed. You just couldn't take two or more consecutive shots with flash. The first would look good, the second would be darker because the flash was not fully charged. Some cameras won't even let you take the picture until the flash is fully charged. Very frustrating situation. Now, I'm sure that AA batteries got better over the years and that certainly may help minimize the problem.
What shoturtle said is correct... the K-x isn't that bad on batteries. What's more, if the camera is like other some Pentaxes (like my K200D), it probably ships with Energizer lithium-ion AAs. I get well over 1100 shots with a set of these and I'm sure the K-x is at least somewhat better. These batteries are more expensive than alkalines, but are well worth it. Or one can go with rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops. They won't last as long as the lithium-ions, but they can be recharged.

And to the original poster... the K-x features the best high-ISO/low-light performance of any current entry-level DSLR. It is light and compact for a DSLR and you can use all of your older Pentax lenses. Go for the K-x.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:36 PM   #29

With the eneloop the k-x can get about 700 photos. But they work well, 2 sets fully charge will give you 1400 photo with a mix of flash shot. With lithium you can get close to 1300 shots.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:39 AM   #30

I get 1,000 plus shots on the Kx with Rayovac Hybrids with a good conditioning charger. Bang for the buck, the Kx is without peer.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote