Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:36 PM   #1

Default pentax k-x or sony a330 cant decide!

im not to sure on what to buy they are both great i have a sony pns dsch7 or dsc7 but i liked that but i recently got 2 pentax cameras a k1000 (metak body prestine condition and a pentax... umm some thing m super or something but i have about 6 or 7 lenses for the pentax... so im not sure on what route to go the pentax is more but i have all that glass for a a k series... but my pns is a sony like i said and images are great!! but idk!!! hahaha

but please talk about these cameras and what you think of each and review and which one is better.. or if theres another better option i think theres a hot deal i found on here for the k-x to be 494.00 at amazon but i was paying 560 at best buy... and the sony 330 is 475 or 4 something from best buy

k1000

but then my sony can take shots like this

so you see my hang up
bereda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:15 PM   #2

Get the Pentax, you'll save money because you can use all those lenses on the K-x. I can't tell enough from the pictures to see what your collection consists of, other than what looks like a K-mount Takumar 135 mm lens. It lacks the SMC coatings, but mine is quite sharp. It looks like there might be a fast 50mm lens there (either a 1.7 or 1.4, can't tell) which would come in handy with your indoor pictures.

That's one of the main reasons I bought a Pentax several years ago and I've never regretted it. I still have a K100 along with a new K-7 and still use a couple of manual lenses I originally bought in 1980.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:50 PM   #3

I agree with mtngal. You'll be able to use all the Pentax mount lenses you've already got. I don't know how good they are, but the K-x is an APS-C dSLR, which uses an image sensor that's smaller than a 35mm film exposure, so it will use the sweet spot on the lenses you've got.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4

bereda-

In view of the fact that you already own lenses that might be utilized is one plus in the mix. The next plus is the fact that the Pentax KX is a more fully featured DSLR, offering in particular a substantial high ISO capability.

The only other feature to check is Live View, the ability to frame, meter and take photos using the camera's LCD screen. If that feature has a high personal priority for you that will turn you toward the Sony A-330, which is one of the best Live View implementations in the entry level DSLR market niche.

So in summary, if Live View is not a high priority, the Pentax Kx is clearly the better choice. However, if Live View is indeed a priority, then probably the Sony A-330 is the better choice.

Merry Christmas, and have a great wekend ahead.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5

I agree get the Pentax KX. I saw my first red one at a local camera shop. The clerk said they are very popular, flying off the shelves and they have trouble keeping them in stock due to popularity.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:12 AM   #6

Pentax K-X would be my choice, you have lenses, and there are allot of nice features on the new K-X like a 12800 iso, internal hdr capability and allot of art filters and an improve af tracking according to some k-x owner over the older models.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Most old Pentax lenses were well built and produce excellent image quality. I had a Pentax system in my film days and when I moved to digital, I bought the K100D, which was a good camera. Amazon is selling the K-x 2-lens kit for a mere $638. That's a lot of camera for the money.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:37 PM   #8

I really think that Rik has the right idea-

Photography is all about developing your photo skills and in enjoying the the photos that you take. The Pentax Kx two lens kit, as Tullio noted is literally bargain priced at $(US)638.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:56 AM   #9

Another option to consider is the Oly E620. The two-lens kit is also $638 and IMO, the Oly kit lenses are much superior than the Pentax ones. Then, you can buy a Pentax to 4/3 adapter and use your legacy Pentax lenses. I did this when I bought the E510 and it worked real well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Most old Pentax lenses were well built and produce excellent image quality. I had a Pentax system in my film days and when I moved to digital, I bought the K100D, which was a good camera. Amazon is selling the K-x 2-lens kit for a mere $638. That's a lot of camera for the money.
I'm head first into this thread because I too have these two particular cameras at the top of my list for my first DSLR:

Sony A330
Pentax K-x

I haven't turned over every rock, but right now at Amazon I see the Pentax K-x with 2 lens kit selling for $850, not $638. Am I missing something?

Now, myself, I differ from the OP in that I don't have any lenses, period to begin with, so the advice in this thread to go with the Pentax doesn't apply, at least insofar as having some Pentax glass to compliment it.

Last edited by Muse; Jul 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote