Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:10 AM   #11

I recently saw a translation of a Japanese webpage that was an interview with the head of Sony's Alpha division. Sony is doing well in Europe and China, and is actually the market leader in Mexico and much of Central and South America., but in the US, Canada, and Japan, they're in single digits.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:38 AM   #12

Mtngal.......thanks...very wise words, and confirms what I've been think when i read the comments about the D5000 Nikon...how many lens do I really think I'll need as a newby over the next 3-5 years...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:00 PM   #13

Sony have made gain in market shear, but they did fall behind a bit in their products, like the AF system and other aspect, it did take sony couple of year to get back to giving a product that is comparable. Also they are price point less then canon and nikon. So that should give them more consideration in their consumer dslr numbers. But I think they have made inroads in the pro level with the 850 and 900. How much I do not know. Like I said they have gotten back in stride in their pro level stuff.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Super Moderator

i really think they need to introduce the successor to the a700. it was a great camera and i think its time for an update.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i really think they need to introduce the successor to the a700. it was a great camera and i think its time for an update.
You and a lot of Sony owners. A lot of frustration with Sony's marketing strategy with teh 230,330,380,500,550 all entry level models. Sometimes with the 'lesser' model performing better but without certain features of a higher priced model. Sony has some great ideas but they're scattering them across too many models in the same niche IMO. If they had release 2 entry level cameras instead of 5 and consentrated quality control at getting the features in those cameras it would be better for photographers. And, of course, there are a LOT of nervous sports and wildlife shooters in Sony camp. Hoping an A7xx successor is announced but not getting clear signs from Sony that they will do so. Sony released a full frame an 5 entry level cameras since the A700 but no A700 replacement. I think they will in 2010 but still I don't like the over-segmentation sony is doing - not from a photographer point of view. BUT, these are companies - and sales/marketing runs companies.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:00 PM   #16
Super Moderator

i totally agree john, i see absolutely no reason to have both the 3xx and the 5xx series of cameras. just keep the 230 then the 550 (bring the price down a tad) and then introduce a well-specced successor to the a700. this gives you good cameras that don't overlap too much at entry level, upper entry-level, and a very nice semi-pro camera, and of course their excellent 850/900.

but i don't see that happening, its pretty obvious by their lack of a successor to the a700 and the weird feature (or missing feature) setup of the a550 that they are market driven and not photographer driven.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
...how many lens do I really think I'll need as a newby over the next 3-5 years...
How many lenses over a 5 year period? Well, let's see -

Year 1: When I bought my first dSLR, I had the kit lens along with 5 lenses either I or my father had bought years ago. The first thing I discovered is that the longer zoom had oil on the aperture blades and wouldn't stop down correctly, so I promptly bought a 50-200 lens (lens #1).

That one wasn't close focusing and I wanted to do macro. So right away I bought a macro lens (lens #2).

Maybe a year later Pentax came out with a camera with stabilization. I really wanted something longer than 200 mm since I had spent a wonderful vacation at a lake and discovered that 200 mm was just not long enough for birds. I knew I couldn't manage more than 200 mm without stabilization, so that meant camera #2 and a 300 mm lens (lens #3).

Year #2/3: Lens #3 was a top quality lens that I bought used. It gave me a taste for good lenses, so when they came out with a 50-135 f2.8 lens I jumped on it (lens #4).

I decided I really wanted to get something wider than the kit lens. I really wanted a fisheye, but figured I'd never use it enough to justify the cost (I was wrong about that, but that's another story). So for Christmas I got a 12-24 wide angle (lens #5).

Then I got a bonus, so had a little unexpected money. And I had been admiring one particular lens that I didn't really need. But it is just such a special lens and I really wanted it. So the 77 f1.8 became lens #6.

Year 4: Decided that I really wanted something between 135 and 300 mm. The 50-200 got dropped and broken, not cost effective to repair as it was one of the kit lenses, so replaced with 55-300, lens #7.

Upgraded camera again and it came with a discount for several lenses. Played around with several lenses that a manufacturer rep had available and fell in love with several more really nice lenses that I didn't particularly need but wanted, as well as finally gave into my desire for the fisheye - lenses #8, 9 and 10.

Somewhere along the way I upgraded my macro lens (lens #11).

And I still have 4 of the original 5 manual lenses that I started out with. I was always going to sell one of them but didn't quite get around to it. I now use it with a reversing ring to do even more than 1:1 macro.

Never underestimate your desire for new photo toys!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Never underestimate your desire for new photo toys!
A truer statement has never been made. I'm currently trying to keep that itch at bay and avoid trying to justify a new $5,000 camera body that I don't need but want very badly
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:39 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
A truer statement has never been made. I'm currently trying to keep that itch at bay and avoid trying to justify a new $5,000 camera body that I don't need but want very badly
i think as more reviews of that "5000 camera" come in, that itch is only going to get worse
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Sony have made gain in market shear, but they did fall behind a bit in their products, like the AF system and other aspect, it did take sony couple of year to get back to giving a product that is comparable.
From Steve's Review of the Sony A100:

"If there was any uncertainty surrounding Sony's acquisition of Konica Minolta's dSLR business, it has now been answered. Sony's release of the DSLR-A100 has both eliminated any concerns that Minolta loyalists may have had about Sony's commitment to the dSLR business, and firmly established Sony as a competitive player in the consumer dSLR marketplace. ... The amateur dSLR market is very competitive, and it would be safe to say that Sony faces stiff competition. But with Sony's aggressive A100 pricing (street of under-$700 body only, under $900 with both 18-70mm and 75-300mm kit lenses at the time of this review), it's Canon and Nikon who will be feeling the heat. Pricing aside, the A100's 10.2-megapixels of resolution, robust shooting performance, excellent image quality and unique combination of Super Steady Shot image stabilization and anti-dust technology make it a very worthy competitor. The A100 is clearly the right choice for photographers upgrading from Minolta film cameras or dSLRs, and makes a compelling case for itself to first time SLR users who have no inventory of interchangable lenses that need a compatible body."

In Sept. 'O7, in a Field Test of the A700, Popular Photography wrote:

"At the end of this tryout, the various participants agreed that the A700 is a camera designed by photographers for photographers. The message coming is that Sony is very serious about the SLR business. If the A700 is the "advanced amateur" model, it makes you wonder what that future "flagship" model is going to be like."

As I said, Sony hit the ground running. Both of their initial offerings were competitive, and popular. The Sony A100 had a 6% market share in its first year, and it was only available for the second half of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Like I said they have gotten back in stride in their pro level stuff.
They have only lost their stride since the introduction of the A900, at which point, what I call "the Cybershotization of the Alpha" took over.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote