Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
How many lenses over a 5 year period? Well, let's see -

Never underestimate your desire for new photo toys!

LOL....every time i see your posts,and pix...I think ' If such a cool person uses a pentax...then perhaps I should seriously consider it...)

But back to your post...lets' see......hmmm.. sounds like IF you had made the 'right' decision in the first place.............

Oh and as for not enough photo toys.....is that like...tools???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
But back to your post...lets' see......hmmm.. sounds like IF you had made the 'right' decision in the first place.............

Oh and as for not enough photo toys.....is that like...tools???
Ah, but all of my lens choices made a great deal of sense (more or less) and were the right decision each time I made them (all right, two or 3 were pure indulgences but only one of those "replaces" a working lens, and that one I'm keeping because it is smaller and lighter than the newer lens, so better for hiking). But my photo needs have changed over time, as I get more involved with my habit - er, hobby - and discover new cool things to do with my camera.

For instance, I wasn't sure whether my desire to shoot macro was going to last, so that's why I bought as inexpensive lens as I could find that had good optics (cost just over $100 new). And I only did that after playing around with a home-made extension tube and a so-so dioper filter. That first lens did very well, but had a matched adaptor which, over a year or more of frequent macro shooting, got annoying - reason for the macro lens upgrade.

And yes, photo toys are like tools - there's always something you don't have that will do what you want to do better/faster/easier than what you have. At the moment I feel a definite need for a weather sealed lens that would replace my original kit lens. I just can't decide if I want to buy a larger, heavier, faster, better, more expensive lens or compromise by buying the new, much cheaper WR kit lens. Lightweight and money in the pocket vs. top quality - both solutions have advantages and disadvantages and there's no ultimate right or wrong answer. Maybe I should just get both of them, then I wouldn't have to decide...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:51 AM   #23

Getting both has its' disadvantage, allot more cash out the pocket,
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Getting both has its' disadvantage, allot more cash out the pocket,
Not to mention that when you do have both, you'd then have to make a choice every time you go out. Not only that, there's the extra storage space required for the lens that's NOT in the camera bag.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:24 AM   #25

Yeah it bring so many problem have to many lenses.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:56 PM   #26

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it gave me more to research and think about. I found the Pentax K-X interesting and looked into reviews and opinions about it. I was able to try it out in store and my biggest issue was that it was not as comfortable for me as the T1i had been while holding it and using it. I did a lot of back and forth reading, they both have differences in their favour or against them and whichever is "better" really appears to vary.

I feel fine with stabilization being in the lense and I'm willing to learn and improve so I went with the T1i. Right now I have an inclination to be more animal focused some day and get a lense that will suit that, but not until after I know what I'm doing.

It came today and I've been letting it air out in a ventilated room as the lense casing smells strongly of plastic. There is a lot to read but i'm excited.

Thanks for the story on your lense history, mtngal, it was interesting and makes me think.
Amoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:04 PM   #27

Congrats on the T1i, it is a great camera and has preform perfectly for me since june. Did you get the 2 lens kit?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:45 PM   #28

Thanks!

No, they only had a 1 lens kit available as a bundled deal but it'll do for now I hope.

I'm not sure if it's the plastic packaging or the plastic on the lense but the smell sure is strong. I might just be more sensitive to it, but did you notice anything from your camera? It's possible that just the bags or some item smelled and it affected everything else. The camera body only smells slightly. I'm guessing pvc plastic since it's so strong...

Last edited by Amoux; Jan 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM.
Amoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:54 PM   #29

No, when I pick up my camera, there was no pvc wrapping or any plastic around the box. It had no smell really. Very odd, it may be what they pack it in.

What memory card did you get for you t1i?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

Year 4: Decided that I really wanted something between 135 and 300 mm. The 50-200 got dropped and broken, not cost effective to repair as it was one of the kit lenses, so replaced with 55-300, lens #7.

I re-read this......yep believe it or not. And I noticed this ...how do you like the 55-300?

Do you prefer it to the 50-200? and how so?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote