Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:39 AM   #1

Default Hopelessly Looking

I'm on a search for the pefect point and shoot camera. Is there such a thing? My pefect camera would be one with a wide angle lens for landscape shots, a long zoom to capture my son in the marching band on the football field, and a strong flash for indoor shots. I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 and the Fujifilm Finepix F72exr. I've heard mixed ratings on both. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I currently have a Nikon D70 but think I'm going to sell it because I don't have the time to learn how to use it. Thank you!
fryer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:52 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I've moved this thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, where you'll be more likely to get responses.

Frankly, I think you'd be making a mistake moving to a non-dSLR camera model if you're trying to take photos at a game under the lights at night, even if it's just the band at half time. You'll probably need to use relatively high ISO speeds to reduce the blur you'll get from any subject movement, and the much larger sensor in a dSLR is better for that. But, you'd also need a bright lens to go with it.

What lenses do you have for your D70?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Fryer-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The two camera that you are looking at each have some compromises. The Panasonic ZS-3 has the needed wide angle, takes excellent outdoor images , but runs into a problem when it goes indoors. Due to it very small and very weak built-in flash unit, image quality indoor is only fair to poor, and you will see many user reviews noting that particular issue. Instead of the normal 10 to 14 feet of flash range. Flash range in the distance measured in feet, between the camera and the subject. The flash range on the ZS-3 is only 6 to 8 feet. If you do not need HD video, purchasing the ZS-1 will save yu some money

The Fuji F-72EXR is a unique camera incorporating the new EXR system designed to much more effectively use numerically high ISO settings in normal snapshot photos. It works well but does indeed take a sizable learning curve to really get the advantage for the EXR system. In addition the F-72EXR camera also has a shortened flash range due to it less than powerful built-in flash unit. The flash range is effectively 8 to 11 feet at best.

The compact zoom camera, that fares best in class, and competes head-on with the Panasonic ZS-1, ZS-3, and the Fuji-72EXR is the Sony H-20. It has the best in class automatic mode and built-in flash unit with a flash range all the way out to 23 feet when Auto ISO is selected. It does HD video and you can zoom whil filming. However, it does not have a wide angle position.

What is about your Nikon D-70 that disappoints you. It can do wide angle even with its Nikon 18-700mm kit lens, and there are good, and well priced, consumer grade zoom lenses that would allow daytime photos of the band on the field.

Have a great day. We are always here to help you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:39 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. It's not that I'm disappointed with the D-70, it's that I haven't had time to really learn how to use it other than the Auto Program. Not sure where to even start learning how to use the other programs and the camera is somewhat intimidating. The lenses I have are the Nikon DX 18-55 and the 55-200. Would be nice to have one lens that did it all so I didn't have to switch.

In regards to the point and shoot I also have been looking at Canon Sx200 IS. What are your thoughts about this one?

Appreciate your help!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:45 PM   #5

Default Sony H20

Sony H20 is on sale now for about $210.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:54 PM   #6

fryer-

There you go. The Sony H-20 has the best in clas automatic mode as well as the best in class built-in flash unit. It does HD video and you can zoom while you are filming.

$210 is a hard price to beat.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Please be aware with the the Sony H-20, the wide angle of the lens is really not wide angle at all. You are used to an 18mm lens which has a 35mm equivalent of 27mm, the Sony H-20 has a 35mm equivalent of 38mm which is huge and would limit most people who want to shoot landscapes, group shots especially indoor where you often can't back up to use a longer lens.

The mentioned Canon SX200 has a very similar coverage to the focal lengths you currently have.

It is worth pointing out that you are not going to get nearly the same level of quality with a point and shoot camera as you will get with your D70 but you will gain convenience of smaller form and no need to have additional lenses. Also due to the smaller sensors you can't do such creative shots where you have the background nicely out of focus etc.

Back to options to consider, I would look at cameras like the Panasonic FZ35 and the Canon SX20IS as it will give you the extra zoom you might want when shooting the marching band as I guess often you are not that close. The Panasonic has a bit better flash built in but the Canon will allow you to add an external flash at a later date which is a bonus.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:44 AM   #8

Thank you again for your feedback. I did a little more research on the Panasonic FZ35 and it looks as though that will fit everything on my checklist! Thank you for your time! Maybe I will hold onto my D70. Hopefully someday I will have the time to really learn how to use it. Thanks again!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:12 AM   #9

fryer-

Congratulations! The Panasonic FZ-35 is a very good super zoom camera. I am sure you will enjoy it. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce